Who here plans on hosting LOCAL tournaments in the future?

Rockin

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Rockin_Rizon
So, here's to clarify on everything for people who don't know what I'm talking about.

In the November Nintendo direct, they hinted on showing a way people can do online and local tournaments in Splatoon, and that it'd be featured on the Splatournament on Dec. 2nd. Dec. 2nd comes around and they give a brief discussion on how it can be done.

So basically, in order for it to be a thing, the TO would need:

8 TVs
a Ethernet switch (which would mean the venue needs to have internet. 3 Megabits per sec is at least required)
8 systems
8 of the wired gamepads (so there won't be interference)
8 NNID accounts (You will notice in the video, one team is named 'Kid 1-4' and the other team is named 'Squid 1-4' )

I've currently been attempting to do this project for awhile. I got the 4 accounts on hand, so I just need to make the other 4 and do the same thing I'm doing with the current one (grind turf till level 10, grind rank till level 20). Of course, this project won't take off until sometime in the future.

So with that said, anyone else planning on doing Splatournaments in the future within their state? (I'm in NYC btw)

Crimsoninkling

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
BramWildenberg
Nope, I don't have the resources nor enough people playing splatoon :(

Power

Inkling Commander
Hopefully, with nyc being as large as it is, a tournament gets hosted around here. I would be interested in joining it if it does happen. But it requires a dedicated host, something that I do not have the time or resources for atm.

1o2

Inkling Cadet
IDK if I could host a tournament but I'd certainly attend locals. But the 8 tvs, 8 gamepads etc only support one match going on at a time. On top of this, it still doesn't even solve the problem of having adequate gear on all Wii U's. Even save scumming would make it hard to get a decent amount of perfect gear on at last 8 nnid accounts.

Rockin

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Rockin_Rizon
IDK if I could host a tournament but I'd certainly attend locals. But the 8 tvs, 8 gamepads etc only support one match going on at a time. On top of this, it still doesn't even solve the problem of having adequate gear on all Wii U's. Even save scumming would make it hard to get a decent amount of perfect gear on at last 8 nnid accounts.
That's why there isn't going to be any (and when I mean that, I mean rerolling to the tripple most common ability on the subs)

It's bad enough/time consuming when one's grinding cloths on INDIVIDUAL NNIDs, but to have each of them with the most common rolls? HELL NAW! What I'm gonna do is make sure each of the cloths got three slot subs. Of course, down the line, I'll SLOWLY make the attempt to let them have the triple rolls (hell, if people enter my tournament and tell me they want a specific setup tripled, then I'll make the attempt to do it), but for now, baby steps.

I think a person can do fine with their main abilities alone. even with the triple subs, it'll all come down to skill level.

I need to create a scene for it first before I do anything else.

SupersonicWaffle

Inkster Jr.
NNID
supersonicwaffle
Here's my thoughts on this

• get 8 pc monitors with HDMI or use HDMI -> DVI cables (they work well)
  • if you wanna connect the Wii Us to the switch you must not forget ethernet adapters
  • all communication between Wii Us will have to go through your router. I'd make sure you don't have a lousy one although it should still work fine
  • In a perfect world each player would also have a raspberry pi with a wolfson audio card available to him/her to mix game audio and voice chat (probably mumble because thtat's the easiest to handle on linux). that would also mean you need a murmur server in that network.
  • with 8 Wii Us + 8 Raspberry Pis + murmur server + router uplink you need a switch with at least 18 ports. 100mbit switches are enough as both Wii U and Raspberry pi only have 100mbit ethernet interfaces.
  • have everyone bring their own Wii Us because of gear (also I wouldn't want to have to share my gamepad with other people, these things are expensive to get repaired)
  • wired gamepads are not available to the general public so make sure there's as little interference as possible in the 5ghz band which is what the gamepads use

Aristeia

Pro Squid
NNID
Sifo33
I do not in any way have the technological know-how to run these kinds of things...so unless someone else from Ohio steps up a local tournament doesn't seem too convenient for me. However, NYC isn't THAAAT far from me, and I'd totally be willing to make the drive for some great Splatoon matches...maybe.

Misha

Pro Squid
NNID
Misha21
Once I am done with school, I wouldn't mind helping with local tournaments. As far I know, there inst much going on in Minnesota. So anyone want to start group, I will gladly help.

1o2

Inkling Cadet
I'm pretty sure gear is tied to your NNID, so bringing a USB with your save file on it wouldn't help.
I believe the way usb save files work is that they take the highest priority over all other save files that exist on the Wii U's built in memory. That being said, it would probably be the easiest way to get around NNIDs

Fightersword

Good TOs are Capitalists
Super Moderator
NNID
Fightersword
So basically, in order for it to be a thing, the TO would need:

8 TVs
a Ethernet switch (which would mean the venue needs to have internet. 3 Megabits per sec is at least required)
8 systems
8 of the wired gamepads (so there won't be interference)
8 NNID accounts (You will notice in the video, one team is named 'Kid 1-4' and the other team is named 'Squid 1-4' )
1 setup isn't nearly enough to effectively run even a small tournament without putting everyone to sleep and taking up the entire day.

Rockin

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Rockin_Rizon
In regards to gear, just have attendants bring their own usb so they have the gear they want.
I'm pretty sure gear is tied to your NNID, so bringing a USB with your save file on it wouldn't help.
I believe the way usb save files work is that they take the highest priority over all other save files that exist on the Wii U's built in memory. That being said, it would probably be the easiest way to get around NNIDs
Game Galaxy - My friend actually suggested that same thing. I just wanted to do my method cause I want the best and most convenient way to run it, but I can do that.

Like Tim H. said, I explained my friend the issue with that. To make that work, the person bringing the USB also needs to put in their NNID in the system. Once the tournament is done, the NNIDs are deleted from other people's wii U system.

1 setup isn't nearly enough to effectively run even a small tournament without putting everyone to sleep and taking up the entire day.
I labeled the 8 Wii U setups as 'systems.'

Kbot

Full-time TO
Event Organizer
OK look. Here are the problems with running something like this.
  1. Gear. I'm sure there's ways around this, but it still exists and adds another layer into everything.
  2. Systems. You need 8 per match, right? Well, what if you want two matches going on at the same time? That's 16. 3? 24. 24 systems. Sword was right in that you can't just have one match going on at once to be sucessful. That isn't going to work.
  3. ****ty lan. Let's be honest. You're connecting to WiFi in order to have lan. I don't have a lot of experience with that, so idk exactly how it works, but it doesn't sound like a great thing.
Trust me, if it was easy, someone would have probably already tried to do it. That's just a few things. I'm sure there's more.

SupersonicWaffle

Inkster Jr.
NNID
supersonicwaffle
****ty lan. Let's be honest. You're connecting to WiFi in order to have lan. I don't have a lot of experience with that, so idk exactly how it works, but it doesn't sound like a great thing.
well that's just wrong. you can just use ethernet adapters as I've outlined in my earlier post. also the lan mode is barely worse than a traditional lan mode and will probably only have an nearly immeasurable amount of additional latency.

Last edited:

VideoGameVirtuoso

Pro Squid
NNID
ExtremeTechPro
Well, over here in Canada, British Columbia, our local community is just starting on working out eight setups, but we are planning on local Splatoon tournaments. Currently we lack the funds, but it is slowly shaping up. Our main issue is actually the lack of players...

Rockin

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Rockin_Rizon
OK look. Here are the problems with running something like this.
  1. Gear. I'm sure there's ways around this, but it still exists and adds another layer into everything.
  2. Systems. You need 8 per match, right? Well, what if you want two matches going on at the same time? That's 16. 3? 24. 24 systems. Sword was right in that you can't just have one match going on at once to be sucessful. That isn't going to work.
  3. ****ty lan. Let's be honest. You're connecting to WiFi in order to have lan. I don't have a lot of experience with that, so idk exactly how it works, but it doesn't sound like a great thing.
Trust me, if it was easy, someone would have probably already tried to do it. That's just a few things. I'm sure there's more.

1) If you're talking about getting every single Gear in the game (as far as cloths), then that would be super time consuming. It's something that can be done in the long run of things, but right now I'm trying to get at least 5 pages worth of cloths for each account.

If you mean getting a perfect roll for every single gear, then that isn't ever going to happen till like 2017 or something.

If you meant both of those things.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAAHHA

But yeah, all this can be eliminated if they just bring in their USB to the tournament like Gamegalaxy suggested

2) Well if I was an organization of sorts or asked people to donate money to me for this, having 16 or even 24 systems could be possible (maybe even ideal). However, since I'm doing this BY MY SELF, and that I'm not asking for donations, nor am I in any type of organization, I'm keeping it small and putting it at 8 setups. We don't nearly have the community like that to even justify huge tournaments like 16 setsup. we're still small and young. Would having that many setups be faster? Yes, considering with 16, you can run losers bracket at the same time. Do I have the money for it? No. Am I going to ask for donations for this? No, because there's no point.

3) "I don't know how this works, so I'm going to complain and say that it's ****ty and crap by default"

A wired connection is better then a wireless one. That's why Lan adapters are a big deal (which reminds me, I need to add that into the list as well). It helps run a more stable connection. I'm also going to take Nintendo's word on it that you need at least 3MBps to make it work. If it still turns out to be an issue where I need more, then I'll do my best to make proper adjustments. I'm going to make an effort to at least make it work.

I don't expect this to be easy. Hell, even running other known tournaments are not easy. However, I'm going to at least attempt this. If you have 'more,' I'm willing to hear it.

But at the end of the day, you either support this idea or go against it. I don't mind either way.

Rockin

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Rockin_Rizon
well that's just wrong. you can just use ethernet adapters as I've outlined in my earlier post. also the lan mode is barely worse than a traditional lan mode and will probably only have an nearly immeasurable amount of additional latency.
I do wish you in the best of luck in getting those players! Let me know how things work out :D

SupersonicWaffle

Inkster Jr.
NNID
supersonicwaffle

Rockin

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Rockin_Rizon

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom