Why are Motion Controls Avoided?

Inkster Jr.
I find the motion controls to be much smoother. It takes some getting used to, but from what I have seen, the other controls seem jerky and hard to aim.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Console FPS are known to be hard to aim with since using a stick to make precise shots is a lot harder than using something like a mouse (or in my case, a wiimote). That's why most console shooter games have an option for "aim-assist", while PC shooters don't. I, for one, can't play most console shooter with the joysticks (Gears of War being one exception, but you don't need that much precision when using a shotgun point-blank anyways)

Inkster Jr.
Console FPS are known to be hard to aim with since using a stick to make precise shots is a lot harder than using something like a mouse (or in my case, a wiimote). That's why most console shooter games have an option for "aim-assist", while PC shooters don't. I, for one, can't play most console shooter with the joysticks (Gears of War being one exception, but you don't need that much precision when using a shotgun point-blank anyways)
Doesn't this prove my point that motion controls are more smooth than joystick controls?

DesQue_25

Inkling
NNID
DesQue_25
For me, I prefer the stick controls because I played CoD for so long. It is just something I picked up and easily got adjusted to. But I will say that motion controls do give an advantage to some people being that you can aim and move without using the right joystick and also jump while aiming. But other than that, sticks are just as efficient to use for Splatoon.

Inkster Jr.
For me, I prefer the stick controls because I played CoD for so long. It is just something I picked up and easily got adjusted to. But I will say that motion controls do give an advantage to some people being that you can aim and move without using the right joystick and also jump while aiming. But other than that, sticks are just as efficient to use for Splatoon.
That makes sense.

Shig

Inkster Jr.
NNID
OkidoShigeru
It's all down to personal preference. I mostly play PC shooters these days, so prefer the more wrist-based motion that the gyro controls allow for, that are much closer to using a mouse.

Right Whale

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Ciano365
Some people get motion sickness by looking around fast like motion controls, or it just feels for others. It could be that some people play console games alot and like the traditional stick controls or they play PC games more so like the freedom you have with a mouse.

BeanYak

Full Squid
NNID
Catman789
I personally don't really like the feel of the motion controls in this game. I loved the motion controls on Modern Warfare: Reflex and The Conduit on the Wii because the wii remote was so comfortable. Now you have to hold a big *** tablet kind of thing and kind of wiggle it around, WiiU's Gamepad uses Gyro sensors, so you're not exactly aiming, but rather tilting it and watching your character tilt their vision. Aiming on the Wii felt awesome because, instead, you were pointing at the screen (although it was just some IR lights and a sensor bar).

Still, I submitted to motion controls because the potential of success is a lot higher with it.

JfiveevifJ

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Leyrwithe
I recently tried 2 player local with a WiiU pro controller. After trying both the WiiU gamepad and the pro controller I discovered that (for me) the motion controls felt a lot more intuitive with max camera sensitivity.

Where it gets really screwy though is that if you hold Down on the D-pad and the B button when you press zL & zR you can use a Wiimote for motion controls with the pro controller. Admittedly you then have to strap the Wiimote to the bottom of the pro controller, but this isn't as uncomfortable as it sounds (although it is a major pain in the rear to put together). All told the Wiimote/Pro controller set up is about 10x more responsive than the gamepad motion controls. Too bad it can't be used in actual play.

Syrek

Grandmaster of Splating
NNID
Mychal
It's all about feeling comfortable. Most people prefer to stick with something familiar rather than exploring the unknown, which is too bad given the advantage motion controls provide, especially during ranked battles. I didn't just get to S rank through skill and perseverance alone. It was a mixture of those attributes and motion controls. Most, if not all players S rank or higher use motion controls because of how precise and quickly you can respond to various situations. I tried using the stick controls and found them to be incredibly slow and cumbersome after using motion controls for so long. There is a learning curve, there's no doubt about it, but the benefits outweigh the negatives IMO.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
According to the developers, 70%-80% of people use the motion controls so I don't think they are 'avoided' at all.
“About 70-80 per cent of players are using the gyro controls. That’s not to say we’re forcing it on to them. From our point of view, we think that the gyro controls are the best way to play Splatoon, the reason being there are two main movements you need for a shooter. One is moving the body, the other is aiming where you’re shooting. In that sense, we think for Splatoon the gyro gives that subtle movement and more precise actions to be able to really experience the game in a much better way.”

Cuttlefish

...........Oops! I fell asleep!
NNID
tokkers
i prefer motion controls and have used them since day one, but i don't play console shooters. i grew up on the Wii so motion controls are no stranger to me.

that being said, i think Splatoon's motion controls are incredible. i can't stand the stick controls, but that's because i'm not familiar with them. i definitely recommend people to give them a go if they haven't, since it feels the game is designed around them.

1o2

Inkling Cadet
Honestly, motion controls are definitely better to use in this game in terms of aiming reaction time, as it's much easier to control than using the stick controls with the sensitivity up. My problem is that I often sit on my bed while I play, and it's awkward to move my arms b/c my elbows always hit the headstand. However, it can be hard to be precise with motion controls, in terms of getting the shot and keeping the aim on the opponent. My hands can get a bit sweaty as I play, so sometimes the gamepad slips a bit as I readjust my grip.

Mr. Gency

Full Squid
NNID
Mister-Gency
My problem is that I often sit on my bed while I play, and it's awkward to move my arms b/c my elbows always hit the headstand.
I had that same problem. Just move forward a bit.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
I had that same problem. Just move forward a bit.
I have a similar problem with my charging cord and headphone wire getting tangled on things- even cats because the moving cords. Its the main reason why I have to go AFG for a bit to shoo my cat, haha.

Minnake

Inkling
NNID
Minnake
I have tried to play with and without motion control, but somehow I feel more comfortable with the motion controls. Using the stick feels really difficult, and the camera is spinning around in wrong directions (yes I tried reverse too). 8D And with having to use the right stick for aiming I find it really hard to use the ZR button for shooting. It's just a mess for me really. But I have never been a pro console player really.

What I do have noticed with the motion controls, it is really hard to turn quickly is someone is like right behind you. Or maybe it's just me... o_O

Wi-fi Calcium

Inkster Jr.
NNID
gabby14
I like to use the stick in conjunction with the motion controls It really helps in quickly get my squid to face where I want him too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom