Why are Motion Controls Avoided?

Griff

Inkling
NNID
Oilerfan7
I really want to be able to use the motion controls but I just dont think I have it in me. At some point I might put in the commitment to figure them out, but for now it's just a no-go for me, which totally leaves me locked out of chargers which is frustrating.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Once I adapted to Gyro controls, they feel much more natural to me.

(Seriously whoever thought of making your habit of actually tilting to controller actually affect the game was awesome)

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
Once I adapted to Gyro controls, they feel much more natural to me.

(Seriously whoever thought of making your habit of actually tilting to controller actually affect the game was awesome)
Reminds me of the PS1 era where people kept telling me to stop tilting/moving my controller because it doesn't make the characters turn sharper or move faster or anything. The recent uses of motion control feels really intuitive now that they stopped shoehorning it into unrelated things.

Reek

Inkling
NNID
Rhymeswithfreak
For me, I prefer the stick controls because I played CoD for so long. It is just something I picked up and easily got adjusted to. But I will say that motion controls do give an advantage to some people being that you can aim and move without using the right joystick and also jump while aiming. But other than that, sticks are just as efficient to use for Splatoon.

"But other than that, sticks are just as efficient to use for Splatoon." This was true for me as well until I started using the charger. I can't go back now.

Misery

Pro Squid
NNID
Xijara
I think its being streamlined- which happened with 3D and will happen with VR as well later- Devs and consumers will finally understand not ever game has to use the current fad if it doesn't compliment the game or gameplay.
Ugh, VR.... that's a gimmick I'm NOT looking forward to. Motion controls are bad enough, but that.... I've no idea what Nintendo's next gimmick might be (MUST they always have a gimmick? Ugh...), but I'm REALLY hoping it's not that. I at least tried out motion controls; I wouldnt try THAT. That's a grand splitting headache just waiting to happen.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Ugh, VR.... that's a gimmick I'm NOT looking forward to. Motion controls are bad enough, but that.... I've no idea what Nintendo's next gimmick might be (MUST they always have a gimmick? Ugh...), but I'm REALLY hoping it's not that. I at least tried out motion controls; I wouldnt try THAT. That's a grand splitting headache just waiting to happen.
Didn't Nintendo publicly announce that they're passing on VR?

Anyway, on the topic at hand. I have put an honest effort on playing with motion controls. Heck, I even started up a new account so I could play with lower-level players. But I felt like I was constantly fighting against myself, having no idea where I was aiming, and putting a bit too much reliance on the Y button.

I understand the benefits, really I do, but I just cannot make it work, unfortunately.

Captain Norris

Inkling Commander
It would be cool to have gyro controls in the next Nintendo controller. Nothing new, but I mean, I would love the feature in something like the pro controller for Nintendo consoles. Stick just doesn't look or feel right to me in Splatoon.

GerbilCrab475

Inkster Jr.
NNID
GerbilCrab
When I play intense games such as Splatoon, I tend to get all jittery and can't sit still. Having restless leg syndrome definitely doesn't help either. My camera would start to shake all over the place if I tried to use them. I mostly use rollers and chargers anyways so it's not that big a deal. I just use high sensitivity settings.

HarmonyX

Inkling
NNID
Harmonyflame
Definitely a motion control user. Learning the motion controls is an absolutely huge payoff, since you can literally be much more versatile with your playstyle. It can allow you to be extremely prescise when necessary, such as in situations where your opponent is moving through ink, jumping or walking while shooting. Its like having a third joystick really.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Using the Y-turn to force-reorient can be a little more disorienting unless you're doing it in singleplayer or get used to it, mind.

HarmonyX

Inkling
NNID
Harmonyflame
Using the Y-turn to force-reorient can be a little more disorienting unless you're doing it in singleplayer or get used to it, mind.
I actually have to use it sometimes between matches when it gets un-calibrated. This is usually because i mightve looked to high up and the center positioning is now looking to high or something. Though this doesnt happen very often at all, resetting it is never a problem though even mid-match or mid-battle because it resets pretty much instantly. I try to position the gamepad slightly up when i reset it so that my inkling is looking at the ground slightly when in rest position.

Last edited:

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Mostly the calibration gets confused when I bring the gamepad around too suddenly, throwing off the gyros. Takes a LOT of sudden acceleration to do it, mind, so it rarely happens unless my shoulders get stiff.

Pteropine

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RennyKlavan
This game without motion control is like apple pie without the apples tbh...

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
Hello again. I got a little pressured by my squad to shift to motion controls, and after much practice (mostly in Hero mode), I've been able to sit myself on a sensitivity I can comfortably play with. So yeah, I'm sticking with motion controls now.

Jet Uppercut

Senior Squid
I feel like they made a concerted effort to push the motion controls over the stick. Having left bumper entirely unbound makes it impossible to do a lot of complex maneuvers that motion control users can. That and the maximum sensitivity still doesn't match the incredible speed you can flick the motion controls around with even slightly. I personally don't like the motion controls or the default control scheme and I hope they add the option to use different button layouts or controller set-ups in the future.

Achamo

Inkling Commander
NNID
KupoSuppi
There are just people who love playing shooters the "traditional" way and use motion controls; and even at the highest sensitivity, and those who can't get used to the motion control mostly because they hate the feeling, and ruins the game play for them.

It's just an opinion based thing really.
Everyone drinks their own "Cup of tea".

Munchy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
lordmunchy
I've been using motion controls for like, the past 3 days in regular battles, and I still finish a match with more than 1 kill at most. It's extremely ineffective in my opinion, and it's really difficult to aim, I hear players like ThatSRBDude saying that motion controls help with accuracy, but in my case they only add to the difficulty of aiming. I'm sticking with the sticks because it's much more efficient, although I'll miss the rapid 180 spins - it's like the only thing that is useful when using motion controls imo. I guess some people can just adapt fast with motion controls, but it's just impossible for me.

toxictower

Full Squid
What are your sensitivity settings? I've been playing gyro for 3 months but now I'm starting to feel like I could be a lot more accurate with some more resistance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom