Why do more people not use the Jr.?

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
Especially with Special Charge-Ups, it becomes deadly in the hands of a right player.
Bubbler (and Krakens to a larger extent) are mostly just abilities you pop to save yourself, with killing as a side objective, since most bubbler weapons are close ranged and you only get it for a few seconds. A skilled player can easily escape a Kraken or bubbler. The Jr has terrible range but an okay ttk and a pretty good effective ttk. It's not the strongest or the weakest weapon in the game, and it's highly overrated the way I see it.

I main the Jr for Turf war, and although the RG is probably better overall, I like the Jr's sub weapon more, plus the bubbler has some pretty nifty niches in terms of use.
RG is poopoo, horrible sub and not a very good special with it too. It's good for covering turf, but the speed of covering turf isn't the most important thing, even in Turf Wars.

Justice

Inkster Jr.
NNID
danny2413
Oh boy I saw JR and I am like I MUST REPLY TO THIS. I havent really read the thread so far but Il say my piece. I pretty much pocket a JR and I think it can be a strong weapon the problem though there are tons of weapons that do what a JR can do besides in like Turf war. I have a ton of fun with it usually with a bomb range up, swim speed, run speed, special charge up, special duration up, ink res set. You play defensive with splat bombs and ink the ground til you get special and then you can make an aggressive push. But weapons with any kind of range can push ur bubble back and ur only option at that point is forcing them to move by throwing a splat bomb at them but then they just run so you most likely won't get a kill. Overall the JR is a good weapon that has a good defense and is good when you can flank and push hard quickly. Has issues if you cut there movement choices off and bubble is to easy to push back and obviously the range is an issue if you dont have the ink to throw a bomb at them. Btw imo it sucks at tower control but can be played in any other mode.

Edit: This is kinda obvious but you want to avoid dieing as most as possible (but in this weapon in particular). Usually when I do good I go like 12-6 or something like that with the weapon. You need to no when and when not to move in with it so your death count should always be on the lower side of you kill count which is kinda why its not the best since your not always in action I feel like. #walls and snipers to op.

Last edited:

MintChipper

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TonyEH
Note: I haven't read any of the posts besides the OP.

Jr.: oh boy a group of players
Me: oh look a Jr.
Jr.: (turns on bubbler)
Me: (shoots at constantly to push it back)
Jr.: Imma get there eventually
Jr.: (bubbler runs out)
Me: (shoots in the face)

Shoutouts to all you custom Jr.s out there though, you boys are clever.
As for regular Jr. users, you should probably use bubbler to share with your teammates so you can start or extend a push, being the lone hero with your bubbler is not smart unless you're certain that setting it off determines who wins the round.

Last edited:

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Met a lvl 44 guy yesterday who had the regular Jr. in Ranked and was insanely good with it. He'd always start off encounters by perfectly rolling a splat bomb behind you, preventing you to back up and outrange him. Then he'd immediately follow up with bubbler and close in on you. He was tricky to deal with and had something like 11-0 that match?

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
People are getting better at pinballing the bubbler, especially with longer ranged weapons being meta right now. I still think it is an effective weapon for ambushes and the bubble should be used more as an escape tool than a push.

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
People are getting better at pinballing the bubbler, especially with longer ranged weapons being meta right now. I still think it is an effective weapon for ambushes and the bubble should be used more as an escape tool than a push.
The bubbler should be used as a strategic weapon for a push, don't use the bubble unless: you're seriously close to dying, you have at least one team member within bubbler range. Yes it's easy to pinball a jr in a bubble, but what about a .52 in a bubble? how about a js? The beauty of the bubbler is it can be passed down.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
The Bubbler may be somewhat situational, seeing as you wait to use it. However, the Custom Jr. gives you two great tools for team support: Keep charging specials and firing Echolocators to help your whole team, and cripple opponents with the Disruptors to finish them off. Personally, it's much more reliable of a weapon, and works great with my Special Charge build.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
The Bubbler may be somewhat situational, seeing as you wait to use it. However, the Custom Jr. gives you two great tools for team support: Keep charging specials and firing Echolocators to help your whole team, and cripple opponents with the Disruptors to finish them off. Personally, it's much more reliable of a weapon, and works great with my Special Charge build.
I definitely think the disruptor is an underrated sub. I ran into a guy using it in TW yesterday that was just owning everyone. Even if you don't get splats out of it, it absolutely destroys movement which enables a push so much easier.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
The main reason I don't use it is the accuracy. Sneaking behind someone and then them killing you because you missed 3 shots isn't rewarding.

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
I tend to foolishly cling to my Bubbler instead of actually using it. :(

Sometimes it's just so frustrating to be hopelessly outranged by most people. x.x

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
I'm someone who mains using Splattershot Jr. in both Turf Wars and Ranked. While it does have lackluster range, I typically play a more tactful style, I also stick with the Jr. also because I love the sub and special. The Splat Bomb IMO is one if not the most tactful offensive sub and I've had more than my fair share of splats using it, mixed with the Jr.'s great handling speed I always feel light on my feet.
Bubbler while I've been pinballed a ton, I've also made great use of it both as support and in certain situations to got nuts. Also save your butt against Krakens.

Last edited:

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
I felt useless using the Splattershot Jr. in yesterday's Splatfest, but for some reason did much better with the Custom version.

I guess in a non-Cold-Blooded setting it's pretty useful.

Heroine of Squids

Inkling Cadet
NNID
bellpendant
The Splattershot Jr. isn't that terrible. It just has poor accuracy and a very poor range. There's times I get owned pretty easily just because the weapon doesn't do a good job shooting others that are sometimes close to you. But, I still use it from time to time. I'm more of a roller person, though. :P

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
It's not as popular as when the game first released for sure, but they're still pretty common both in Turf and Ranked. As to why it's not being used as much as before, well that's probably because we've all realized it's not actually that great and there's literally only one reason to use it competitively speaking.

Firstly the main weapon itself is simply outclassed by the Splash and N-Zap. All three have the same fire rate and need 4 hits to kill, however the Jr.'s accuracy is much worse than both, and with less range than the N-Zap. The Sub being Splat Bombs are very good, but not exclusive to the Jr., and even between run n gun type shooters there's the N-Zap again. That leaves us with it's Bubbler special being the main reason to use it. Yeah other weapons have Bubbler too, but only a few, none of which being run n gun types, and none of whom can fill the special meter as fast, so that gives the Jr. it's niche.

Perhaps after the Tri-Slosher, Zink Mini Splatling and Custom Hydra Splatling release we'll start seeing much less Jr.'s, but perhaps not as it's still the only run and gun type weapon with it. Only if they give something like a Splattershot the Bubbler would the Jr. truely fade into oblivion me thinks.

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
Perhaps after the Tri-Slosher, Zink Mini Splatling and Custom Hydra Splatling release we'll start seeing much less Jr.'s, but perhaps not as it's still the only run and gun type weapon with it. Only if they give something like a Splattershot the Bubbler would the Jr. truely fade into oblivion me thinks.
Highly unlikely, the Splatling style of play alone is gonna sift out a lot of people. As you said the mix of Splat Bomb and Bubbler is what makes it stand out, mixed with its light handling allowing for great strafing it is a run and gun weapon.

Unless another rapid fire light weight weapon with identical subs and special comes up, the Splattershot Jr. will always have its fans including myself.

Ink Gunner Emily

Full Squid
NNID
Ayerin
It is better as a escape mechanism but people do use it to push back opposing inklings. I've splatted my fair share of those that try that ballsy move while they are alone. I treat them like Rollers and Inkbrushes. Back off, hide to recover ink and avoid fire, and then strike when they lose their only defense to stop me.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Highly unlikely, the Splatling style of play alone is gonna sift out a lot of people. As you said the mix of Splat Bomb and Bubbler is what makes it stand out, mixed with its light handling allowing for great strafing it is a run and gun weapon.

Unless another rapid fire light weight weapon with identical subs and special comes up, the Splattershot Jr. will always have its fans including myself.
I don't know, the Tri-Slosher is a run n gun type aswell, or should I say run n bucket. :L

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
I don't know, the Tri-Slosher is a run n gun type aswell, or should I say run n bucket. :L
Well the Splat Bomb + Bubbler point still stands quite firm. You can't look at these weapons piece by piece but as a collective whole, sub and special included.

Though I will say Jr. probably isn't a weapons that favors too much in ranked where the objective is more signalized, it can still have its uses in more tactical or crafty play in the right hands, but in Turf War it is still a very competent weapon.

Last edited:

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Well the Splat Bomb + Bubbler point still stands quite firm. You can't look at these weapons piece by piece but as a collective whole, sub and special included.

Though I will say Jr. probably isn't a weapons that favors too much in ranked where the objective is more signalized, it can still have its uses in more tactical or crafty play in the right hands, but in Turf War it is still a very competent weapon.
But that doesn't mean much as it's not like Splat Bombs have any particular synergy with Bubbler, whereas Disruptors do. The Jr.'s viability is mostly because of the Bubbler afterall, and Splat Bombs can also be found on the N-Zap'85. I'm not saying the Jr. is any worse now, it's still perfectly good, just no longer the best at what it does. The Zink Mini Splatling will also be in this situation, as it has the exact same sub n special as the Tri-Slosher, but it's only advantage is 0.3 lines more range, otherwise it's just a Tri-Slosher with worse movement. Despite this, I'm sure the Jr. will remain relatively common, first weapon you start the game with so it's got a special place in all our hearts! ...or not. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom