• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Why do people never take the sound of a weapon into account?

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
All right, one factor in the strength and weaknesses of any weapon that I never seem to see anyone talk about is the sound of a weapon. For example, if you hear the shot of an E-Liter, you know one is nearby, so you become more cautious. Other weapons like the Inkbrush are hard to hear if they are simply guiding. Most people will see this and say "Duh! Everyone knows an E-Liter is really loud! But I would like to see more people try and incorporate sound into weapon guides and analyses, like @Nintendome 's, Gamexplain's, @Squids Next Door and @Char If Char ever makes a weapon analysis.This was mostly a random thought that popped into my head, but I want to see if anyone else has a different view of it.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
it's not really that important, I don't think. First of all, you know what weapons the enemy team is using from the intro animation, so it's useless for figuring out which weapons the other team is using. Second, if that eliter is shooting, they're likely shooting at someone, and if your team has decent communication, their position will be called out almost immediately, so it has little use in locating enemies.

I suppose when you're just playing by yourself it could have some use, but I'm really not sure how much

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
I suppose you can become aware of an enemy's location from sound, but I don't think it's that useful.

Phobos

Inkling Commander
I tend to play using earphones from the gamepad, rather than through my stereo system, since my partner really doesn't like the music (sigh), and I find that weapon sounds are very useful, just for giving me a better idea of the rough locations of other weapons in my vicinity, and of what's going on more generally - the game signals various important details via sounds (nb. I think it would be less possible to use them in this way without also using head/earphones). FWIW, occasionally I'll play without using speakers or earphones, and so with no sound whatsoever, and I find that I tend to perform worse on these occasions.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
that's not what I'm saying though...

If you can learn the enemy's location from the sound of their weapons then yeah, use it. But assuming you're paying attention and are communicating with your team there are very few times where the sound of their weapon is what tips you off to their location

Power

Inkling Commander
It is just another way to help you learn where the enemy is. There are other ways, whether or not someone feels one way is better is based on their experience (Solo Queue vs Organized)...or speed in which one gains awareness. In different situations, one works faster than the other.

Edit: The majority of the time, team callouts and looking at the mini map briefly help to discern where the enemy is, along with using your thinking cap.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
it's not really that important, I don't think. First of all, you know what weapons the enemy team is using from the intro animation, so it's useless for figuring out which weapons the other team is using. Second, if that eliter is shooting, they're likely shooting at someone, and if your team has decent communication, their position will be called out almost immediately, so it has little use in locating enemies.

I suppose when you're just playing by yourself it could have some use, but I'm really not sure how much
The sound of a weapon is indeed important. Without sound you can only rely on sight to find your opponents - not always the best way to learn the enemy's position. While you may know which weapons the enemy team might be using from the beginning of the match, you might forget. Even if you don't, it's still nice to know where exactly the enemy is purely by the sound of the weapon. It's infinitely better to have more than one way to do that than just one sense alone.

You're also assuming that your team will have communication to begin with to inform the others on your team to notify the presence of an E-liter user. Seems like the OP was referring more to online play than against another team, in which case the former is more than likely in solo queue without a third party program like skype (or discord) to coordinate your team.

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
"I don't think knowing the enemy's location is useful."
That's TOTALLY what I said. Because I said you can know exactly where the enemy is at all times, and not just when they're already shooting at you from behind. When you're already dead.

I never said it was not useful, but compared to other methods, it's not as good for being aware of your enemies.

Charlight

Meme Spy
Ooh, cool idea.

I mean, like others've said, it's just another way of locating enemies. You should definitely be paying attention to the sounds around you such as inkstrike etc., but also weapons shooting; it's helped me become aware of someone behind me several times when I was hiding in ink.

What really helps here is using headphones - just plugging headphones into the gamepad. Stereo is amazing.

ThatSquidYouKnow

Inkling Commander
NNID
link12014
Switch Friend Code
SW-0194-3194-0146
Well, I think there was some confusion, but I was making this directed to people who aren't in a squad and it might be helpful to detect enemies alone along with other methods and if you are in a squad if you hear something, you can alert your teammates.

Noise Tank

Full Squid
youre playing with your eyes closed if you say sound helps you locate people. This isn't CoD or w/e where you can put on headphones and know exactly where someone is based on their footsteps.

Sound is good for knowing where specials are (inkstikes, people popping specials behind you). Anything else? nah

Jet Uppercut

Senior Squid
The fortunate thing about Splatoon is you get to see what weapons the enemy team are holding before you go into a fight, so you have a general idea of what to expect. For a majority of weapons though, if you can hear it being fired, chances are you are about to die. Especially against Blasters.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
the **** are people going on about here

audio and visual cues are not mutually exclusive. you can hear things you can't see, and you can see things you can't hear, and you don't need to split your focus. even stereo headphones are enough to tell you where sound effects are coming from.

legit finding it hard to believe that people think audio cues aren't worth listening to

RadioactiveMoth

Squidibli
NNID
RadioactiveMoth
the **** are people going on about here

audio and visual cues are not mutually exclusive. you can hear things you can't see, and you can see things you can't hear. even stereo headphones are enough to tell you where sound effects are coming from.

legit finding it hard to believe that people think audio cues aren't worth listening to
I haven't seen anyone say it wasn't worth using, just that it's not the best way as it's not as often the only way to locate the enemy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom