• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Why do people never take the sound of a weapon into account?

chrisblass1

Pro Squid
NNID
Chrisblass1
its not that important if you know what your doing and it might be useful if your are never in squid form.

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
Personally I find the 96 gal more of a DOOK DOOK DOOK DOOK DOOK sound rather than DOOKA DOOKA DOOKA DOOKA.

Sqwiddles

Pro Squid
NNID
PheenieWeen
Tbh, I do take it into account actually.
But THEN THERE ARE TIMES WHEN I JUST WANT TO LISTEN TO MY MUSIC SO I HAVE TO MUTE IT.
But yeah- I listen for those chargers or those seekers, etc.
Or A BRUSHIE! :^D

CoconutTank

Senior Squid
I don't confess to be good at doing it all the time, but I do try to listen for audio cues.

If I'm top of a wall for maps such as Bluefin Depot, Moray Towers or Flounder Heights, and I start hearing sounds that I can't visually find sources for, then I need to get away from the wall or else I'll get ambushed by whoever's coming up. I don't play with team chat, but even if I did my allies would have to be facing the wall from the enemy side or be watching sideways at the wall in order to warn me that someone's coming up, both of which are quite unlikely.

I can aurally differentiate between rollers, chargers, bamboozlers, blasters, splatlings and shooters. I can sometimes tell if something is a 96 gal, but the gals in general I tend to get mixed up with shooters. Usually if I know that whatever I'm facing has shorter range than I do, I back up and use my range advantage to take them out. Otherwise I'll hide to the side and try to attack from behind.

mmmike

Inkling
NNID
mofro
Switch Friend Code
SW-5492-4365-5417
i find sound very useful, along with mini map awareness, visual cues, and communication (if your in a squad.) are all important tools in your arsenal, playing with headphones(music) takes away one of your tools. (carbon user) when in combat i find it hard to look at my mini map but audio cues telling me thins like if my over the wall burst bombs hit, seeker incoming, enemy has his/her special, what special that is, over looked beacons, even splat bombs have a pretty distinct sound. it might not the best way to find people but it takes little effort to pay attention to what your hearing.
on the topic while i like the sound track of the game but i always thought it would be nice if you could lower the BGM sound

Last edited:

Silvaitos

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Silvaitos
It's relevant. It's subtle, but it's relevant. That's my two cents.

jaddasroots

Inkster Jr.
NNID
jaddasbranch
I definitely use sound to my advantage. Especially since the update they increased the ability to know whether an inkstrike is behind you or how far away it is. Many a time have I accidentally backed into an inkstrike, despite visual of the landing location. Also if you listen carefully, you can hear enemies moving around in ink. At Bluefin Depot in one of the valleys i was hiding in ink. I knew someone was on the other side of the same valley as they had more ink on the ground. I literally heard them swim up to my left via headphones while I was still hiding. I jumped out and splatted them because sound let me know exactly where they were. When you have enemies moving in and out of ink where they can't easily be seen, sound still gives them away.

Also while you get to see who has what weapon on the enemy team, you dont know what weapon is nearby you based on that. It's certainly nice to be able to hear a squiffer coming my way or hearing a roller trying to come up a wall. Sound cues are definitely a big part of this game, otherwise, they wouldn't be there.

Relados

Senior Squid
The only time I've actually used listening to weapons as an advantage is when I see a charger's laser sighting and try to determine which one it is when it fires (this is if I'm too far away or don't have direct view to confirm it visually, and if the enemy team had more than one kind). The Squiffer and Bamboozler sound far different from the E-Liter, so if I see a shot come from around a corner and hear the Squiffer sound, I know the opponent is pretty close.

I've tried determining blasters by sound alone, but it only works if someone sits and fires many times in a row, so you can hear the frequency.

It's sometimes too difficult to hear things properly if the match is intense, or if you're on or against a bomb happy team, the sounds of battle will drown out the specific things you want to hear.

sammich

Inkling Cadet
people DO consider it, though. even before the sound updates a bit back.

i remember somebody was like "NINJA SQUID ON MY CHARGER??" and everyone was like "yeah... everyone knows where you are already so no."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom