missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Tired of getting games where I try to ink and move forward but get stuck because it doesn't update fast enough. Does Nintendo not know what ping is?

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's utterly infuriating. And it's always thanks to being the only non-Japanese player in the room. And the smooth matches would be even smoother with regional filters, so why the hell not?

Trieste Sp

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I agree, regional filters would be very useful. Hopefully, I'll be added in the future.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Probably because it is not necessary. Lag is extremely rare in this game even when playing with or against Asians.

YesI'mTaco34

Inkling Cadet
NNID
YesImTaco
I kinda agree with this. Fighting a Roller that has lag is pretty much the most WTF moments i had with that game.

One second the roller is 20 feet away from me next second the roller ran me over.

Last edited:

Howl

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SilverHowl
Bored of trading kills to be fair. Either you die or I die, both of us dying is stupid.

shane3x

Full Squid
I would imagine they want to see what numbers are like first. If they force worldwide in case splatoon sold poorly people would still be able to find matches. I'd like for the preference to find local people first and then expand outsides if it can't find enough players to fill a game locally to minimise latency.

Yes latency and other server issues are affecting people.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
I kinda agree with this going fighting a Roller that has lag is pretty much the most WTF moments i had with that game.

One second the roller is 20 feet away from me next second the roller ran me over.
One time I splatted a Roller, and three seconds later he ran me over. What, was it his ghost?

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I'm not sure why. I do find it pretty frustrating playing when I can't even put ink on the ground, or getting disconnected.

Probably because it is not necessary. Lag is extremely rare in this game even when playing with or against Asians.
Are you sure about that? I've gotten lag at least once every day I've played this.

JonVisc

Inkling
NNID
jonvisc
Raising this issue up again.

Last weekend when Japan had their splatfest, I had a ton of fun and while I kept my level consistent (high A- to low A) I never felt that there was any weird issues in regards to lag. laying late Saturday through last night has been regressed to frustrations.

I can't be the only one that notices a difference between when you play with people closer to you vs someone half the world away. I have my WiiU wired and am located in San Diego, on a very high bandwidth connection and nothing else going on on my network and any time I turn on the system to play it is always a majority of Japanese players. Sometimes I am the only user on the match with a roman alphabet style name. When I play with the majority of japanese people I encounter so many more 'I kill them, they kill me' scenarios and players instantaneously appearing where they were intending to go but it would have taken .5-1.5 seconds for them to get their if they were walking. I don't want to feel the need to try and lead my shots because Nintendo cannot apply their own regional system (that works!) for people that want that.

Or how about a happy medium? Use preferred regional matchmaking with a fallback to global if not enough people are requesting to join on a game? Basically anytime you request to join a game it starts a timeout which links all 'like latency-time' people together and after the timeout passes if there aren't 8, then it pushes you to have other global people join. That way I would not be a 1 american, 7 japanese in a game where there is a distinct disadvantage. I want to play despite the lag disadvantages but I also know that during splatfests there isn't a lack of players for me to match up against so why can't they try to level the playing field as much as possible.

1o2

Inkling Cadet
Nintendo had no idea whether or not Splatoon would be popular, as it was a new ip on an unsuccessful console. If Splatoon sold 100,000 copies worldwide, how could the game rely on regional match making? I personally think that worldwide match making was the best route for Nintendo to take, even when there is a slight delay across continents(which I admit is a bit frustrating). Hopefully regional match making is in the works for the next big update though.

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
Here we go again...

For you maybe.
But for a lot of other people, lag is present on a regular basis, especially against asians.
Myself included.

You might have been lucky to get matched with people that didn't lag.
But nevertheless, lag is a thing in this game.
Don't be so quick to brush it aside.

Nintendo had no idea whether or not Splatoon would be popular, as it was a new ip on an unsuccessful console. If Splatoon sold 100,000 copies worldwide, how could the game rely on regional match making? I personally think that worldwide match making was the best route for Nintendo to take, even when there is a slight delay across continents(which I admit is a bit frustrating). Hopefully regional match making is in the works for the next big update though.
Of course, this is understandable.
Nobody blames Nintendo for that. (At least I am not)

But Splatoon sold beyond their expectations and the community has grown a lot.
Splatfests prove that continental matchmaking works.
Admittedly, it takes a little longer to find people.
Plus, the fact that all people from one region are split into two teams during Splatfest, only adds to the waiting time.
(Tho in normal Turf Wars, this issue wouldnt be present)

The community has grown big enough. So yeah, regional matchmaking no longer is an unthinkable thing.

Of course, this might go against Nintendo's wishes, to build a worldwide player base.
But there is no sense in that, if it is crippled with lag, due to the large distances.

XenoPixel

Senior Squid
NNID
XenoPixel
I usually don't get much lag seldom a few turf war games, but I agree that regional matchmaking would be better in the long run.

WhiteShiningDiamond

"We are the Crystal Squids!"
NNID
foxyfoxy90
Maybe it will show up in a later update. I mean now we have the ability to join and take our friends to rank battle. Baby steps.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
I agree that people shouldn't be too quick to go on a witch hunt for Nintendo yet but also think they definitely need to implement that in the next update or at least acknowledge it soon. Wait times aren't that long during Japanese splatfest so I think we'd all be fine.

Wat? o_O

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Just because you don't notice high ping doesn't mean it doesn't exist. They can do some smoke and mirrors to try and conceal it, but a well-trained eye can still tell.

Njok

Bouncer
I wanted regional matchmaking very bad, but after spending about an hour sitting in a twin squad lobby without finding a game during Japanese splatfest, i changed my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom