why is TW more chaotic outside the splatfests?

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
hey everyone! it has been awhile since i posted a thread :D

but what i been wondering for awhile about is what the title says..i just seem to notice that TW outside of the splatfests event seem so much more chaotic and a mess then during splatfests..whether you win or lose is really randomly,and i have a feeling it's really based on luck and not skill,cause in some matches my team was doing really well for example but the last 20 seconds things go wrong and somehow the enemy team makes a comeback or it's the other way around that my team is the 1 making the comeback in the last 20 seconds
i have the feeling the TW is really based on luck and not skill? since you can get a random winning/losing streak alot, no matter if the weapon you use is your best/worst weapon in the game,i tested it out with my worst and best weapon and i noticed it can really go both ways,not that i am bothered by this but i was just wondering or others have this with TW as well? since TW has more random players then ranked does o:

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
There are two main reasons.
During Splatfest, a lot of people who'd you find normally playing only in Ranked, are also playing TW.
And Splatfests seem to more heavily rely on matching players based on Power, though I think normal TW does have a looser mechanic in the background.

Last edited:

KamaItachi

Inkling
I dont play turf unless theres a splatfest or a rotation I really cant be bothered with like Moray Towers and Skatepark at the same time... and Salmon isn't available... and I'm too lazy to move from my chair.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
My dude.

I don’t know how many times I’ve had to tell you this over multiple threads.

If you are on a losing streak, it’s probably a problem with your playing.

Please stop blaming the game.

(Yes, it’s true that TW is more comeback-friendly than ranked, but all that means is that you have to be super careful not to get splatted during the last minute)

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
My dude.

(Yes, it’s true that TW is more comeback-friendly than ranked, but all that means is that you have to be super careful not to get splatted during the last minute)
ok first of all if you actually read what i said,i literally said ''i am not bothered by losing in TW'' i was just curious about this,since both winning and losing happend randomly alot in this mode,i just noticed a change between splatfest and normal TW and i wanted to know about other's experiences'' oh btw if you don't like my posts then how about you ignore them and focus on other stuff instead of trying to start a argument about it? -.-

Last edited:

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
Given my Splatfests used to be less than stellar, about as equally good or bad as turf was (the 1.9ks that you can get matched into if your calculating period lobbies are too low are especially bad in terms of player quality), I can't really speak from experience, but a deciding factor may be that (at least until the last one), the Splatfest system tries to really match players with the same skill level, whereas I'd often notice that if I leave turf lobbies outside of fesu every now and then, player ranks (as in, ranked mode play) can go from as low as C-ish to as high as flat-out X. Naturally, not every good Turf War player will be a ranked mode grinder, but the tendency that an X player is better than say, an all-B player, is definitely there.

It is definitely more chaotic because it's a draw of luck whether your lobby will be more casual or competitive (depending on the type of players you run into), whereas in Splatfest, the entire Playerpool is being drawn from PLUS the games seems to make a better attempt at matching players, which can somewhat feed into your confirmation bias that it's less chaotic, when... honestly, it's just not true. If I went through all the matches I had (I played 8 hours of fest), it was about as chaotic as regular Turf, the only difference was that I was able to twin up with a friend, so I had at least one person making callouts and such, and the banter certainly helped making it a more pleasant experience, but I digress.

RocketsTail

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-2874-2863-4789
My dude.

I’ve watched top level competitive players on Twitch go on losing streaks despite pulling their weight in their matches. Losing streaks don’t always mean a player is “bad”.

Coolkid

Inkling Cadet
Given my Splatfests used to be less than stellar, about as equally good or bad as turf was (the 1.9ks that you can get matched into if your calculating period lobbies are too low are especially bad in terms of player quality), I can't really speak from experience, but a deciding factor may be that (at least until the last one), the Splatfest system tries to really match players with the same skill level, whereas I'd often notice that if I leave turf lobbies outside of fesu every now and then, player ranks (as in, ranked mode play) can go from as low as C-ish to as high as flat-out X. Naturally, not every good Turf War player will be a ranked mode grinder, but the tendency that an X player is better than say, an all-B player, is definitely there.

It is definitely more chaotic because it's a draw of luck whether your lobby will be more casual or competitive (depending on the type of players you run into), whereas in Splatfest, the entire Playerpool is being drawn from PLUS the games seems to make a better attempt at matching players, which can somewhat feed into your confirmation bias that it's less chaotic, when... honestly, it's just not true. If I went through all the matches I had (I played 8 hours of fest), it was about as chaotic as regular Turf, the only difference was that I was able to twin up with a friend, so I had at least one person making callouts and such, and the banter certainly helped making it a more pleasant experience, but I digress.
turf war being a mode where you can get or against players from all ranks does make sense now that i think about it..i had matches where it was so easy to dominate the enemy,while other matches it was my team getting owned completely,i never really understood how the matchmaking worked in TW because it is such a random mode,when i was trying out a brella weapon (turned out i really suck with it lol) i still won multiple matches i really was like ''whaaaaat?! your kidding! o.o'' while for me when i play in splatfests things to me are less chaotic,i always see some teamwork in the enemy team or my team,my performance always seem to be really different in splatfests like maybe because i often get teamed up with players that are around my level while with TW i get teamed up with players better or less good then me and then the difference is quickly noticed like being teamed up with better players means they end up doing much better then me or when being teamed up with less good players i end up performing very well even when losing.it really is based on luck after all haha

Либра

「Pavor Nocturnus」
turf war being a mode where you can get or against players from all ranks does make sense now that i think about it..i had matches where it was so easy to dominate the enemy,while other matches it was my team getting owned completely,i never really understood how the matchmaking worked in TW because it is such a random mode,when i was trying out a brella weapon (turned out i really suck with it lol) i still won multiple matches i really was like ''whaaaaat?! your kidding! o.o'' while for me when i play in splatfests things to me are less chaotic,i always see some teamwork in the enemy team or my team,my performance always seem to be really different in splatfests like maybe because i often get teamed up with players that are around my level while with TW i get teamed up with players better or less good then me and then the difference is quickly noticed like being teamed up with better players means they end up doing much better then me or when being teamed up with less good players i end up performing very well even when losing.it really is based on luck after all haha
That's the charm of TW that many people seem to enjoy. No objective other than covering the most ground by the time the clock runs out, play any weapon, get the weirdest comps, get people from across the board in your lobbies. I'm fairly sure there's *some* matchmaking involved, but it's really hard to tell. Unlike in ranked modes where the average player skill tends to be *more or less* within a certain range, Turf can be anything and drastically change throughout the different times of day. If Evening feels too difficult for you, try the early afternoon. I feel it's less brütal and more traditional derp-turf during the EU early to mid-afternoon times. Overall, if you start mastering the weapon you've picked with the maps you've practiced on, you'll start noticing that your average W/L ratio will steadily improve regardless of how wonky the matchmaker is. Given the freedom of possible strategies in this mode, you can wing more than you would've initially believed. Good luck and have fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom