Will Commentary Start For Splatoon?

Lapsy143

Full Squid
NNID
Lapsy143
Hey guys! I'm an aspiring commentator for esports (especially smash). When the update comes, it surely is going to start to become competitive, and I believe that commentary will be neccesary in order to entertain streams. Now, I don't want to go become a MiniWheat, but commentary for Splatoon will most definitely be a thing.

So, if it does come into a play, where do you think it will go overall?

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
NNID
RespawningJesus
It won't go very far without a spectator mode. Shooters need you to be able to see as many view points as possible to be able to see the big picture. It gets rather difficult to do commentary if you can only see the game from only one person's point of view, since you can easily miss crucial plays from both the opposing team as well as friendly team.

Last edited:

Vexen

Senior Squid
NNID
Vexen_IV
Without spectator its not really possible for it to happen

Cobbs

Senior Squid
NNID
CCobbs
Once spectator mode lands, i'll be commentating competitive splatoon just like I do for Smash 4 on my channel.

TheMH

Inkling Commander
NNID
The_MH
Without spectator its not really possible for it to happen
It's difficult. You could just put 2 streams from each team together like it's done for Mario Kart, but I can see that you would miss a lot of the action if you can see only the view of 2 out of 6 players and due to the lack of a map.
But still - without spectator mode it will be the only way to commentate at all for the moment... Afaik Eirik from EndGameTV who streams the MKWC will give it a try in the upcoming Ink or Sink Tourney and I'm looking forward to that.

Lapsy143

Full Squid
NNID
Lapsy143
It's difficult. You could just put 2 streams from each team together like it's done for Mario Kart, but I can see that you would miss a lot of the action if you can see only the view of 2 out of 6 players and due to the lack of a map.
But still - without spectator mode it will be the only way to commentate at all for the moment... Afaik Eirik from EndGameTV who streams the MKWC will give it a try in the upcoming Ink or Sink Tourney and I'm looking forward to that.
Well, then I guess I need the date and then start commentating... and I need a streaming device.

jason1637

Senior Squid
NNID
jason1637
It won't go very far without a spectator mode. Shooters need you to be able to see as many view points as possible to be able to see the big picture. It gets rather difficult to do commentary if you can only see the game from only one person's point of view, since you can easily miss crucial plays from both the opposing team as well as friendly team.
this

EirikN

Full Squid
NNID
Novaxxe
My concern for commentating will be the absence of a minimap for every match and, as everyone has noted here, the lack of perspectives. However, commentating over 2 perspectives should be enough to accurately gauge a match and give insight to it; you see where teammates are located, how many players are alive from each team, the score, and how much time is left on each POV. It won't be the best, but it's certainly enough to put on a show.

Eclipsc70

Pro Squid
NNID
EJ_Matthews
Didnt they properly commentate Halo games in MLG without spectator mode?

BeanYak

Full Squid
NNID
Catman789
I don't feel like digging it up, but Nintendo has posted a video in which they blatantly show interest in making Splatoon an e-sport. I think it's good reason to believe that we could see a spectator mode in the future. Hopefully. They can't possibly expect spectator matches to get far without it, right?

Last edited:

jason1637

Senior Squid
NNID
jason1637
I don't feel like digging up the replay, but Nintendo has posted a video in which they blatantly show interest in making Splatoon an e-sport. I think it's good reason to believe that we could see a spectator mode in the future. Hopefully. They can't possibly expect spectator matches to get far without it, right?
can i get a link to the video?

WydrA

Inkling Commander
"Splatoon is made for Esports" - Dakota Lasky:

"I just want to body ppl in Splatoon" - Justin Wong:
Yeah honestly there should have been way more hype over he inclusion of these quotations. not only proof that Ninty wants splatoon to be a competitive, "esports" game, but that they are looking directly at squidboards in hopes we do so.

BeanYak

Full Squid
NNID
Catman789
Yeah honestly there should have been way more hype over he inclusion of these quotations. not only proof that Ninty wants splatoon to be a competitive, "esports" game, but that they are looking directly at squidboards in hopes we do so.
Hmm, where do you think that quote is from? It's kind of general, but I think it was most likely grabbed from twitter. That's not to say that they don't look at Squidboards, though.

cool6012

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Cool6012
Hmm, where do you think that quote is from? It's kind of general, but I think it was most likely grabbed from twitter. That's not to say that they don't look at Squidboards, though.

The Nintendo World Championships perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom