• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

will octolings have there own game

Aerotop

Inkling
Eh, I doubt it. Typically, spin-off titles featuring the villains of a Nintendo series rarely happen, and even then it's only for the well established ones. Splatoon is still brand new, and we don't even know the sort of release schedule Nintendo has planned for this series.

Poyo

Senior Squid
NNID
Poyoarya
I doubt it. The smart option is to keep pushing DLC for ~1.5 more years and then have about a half a year of delay as they prepare for the inevitable release of Spla2oon.

Reactions: 1o2

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
To date, the only Nintendo villains I can think of to have at least one game as the protagonist (not counting ensemble titles like Mario Kart or Super Smash Bros.) are Wario, Donkey Kong, and Bowser, and Donkey Kong is barely even a villain anymore. And in all of those games, there was someone or something unambiguously malicious threatening them, and they were effectively the heroes of their games. Also, all of them have been antagonists against Mario.

I do expect a future Splatoon story involving Inklings and Octolings teaming up against a greater threat though.

TacoOfDestruction

Pro Squid
NNID
JD1973
Just one thing though. What will male octarians look like? Unless I'm really stupid don't you only see female ones in the story mode? I doubt the octarians are a one gender species.

YesI'mTaco34

Inkling Cadet
NNID
YesImTaco
Donkey Kong is barely even a villain anymore. And in all of those games, there was someone or something unambiguously malicious threatening them.
I wouldn't say that K.rool hated Bananas and just took them to see DK the Third and friends starved to death.

Last edited:

Paragon-Yoshi

Inkling Cadet
I wouldn't say that K.rool hated Bananas and just took them to see DK the Third and friends starved to death.
It was a makeshift explanation though.

I think in reality, the developers had no idea either.
They had the villains set up and the collectibles and stuff.
Monkeys collecting bananas... Makes sense right?

So yeah, then they made the villains and it all played out well.
But only after they released it, completionists were asking them why K. Rool would steal bananas?
So they quickly made up this explanation, while in reality, they didn't think of any story at all.
(And they didnt actually need to. Sometimes, less is more. And not everything needs to be explained. There is stuff that is better left to the imagination of the players)

But I digress...

Back to the topic at hand:
It is too soon for that.
Like others before me pointed out, Splatoon is still brand new.
So there would be no sense in making Spin-Offs, this early in Splatoon's lifetime.

Once Splatoon's becomes a well established franchise...
I dunno, maybe?

But frankly, I can see Octolings becoming playable protagonists anyways.
We all know how loved they are by the fans. And thanks to the leaks, we can pretty much say that Octolings will be playable in a future update.
Doubtless, if they do become playable, we can assume they will return as playable characters in sequels.

I do expect a future Splatoon story involving Inklings and Octolings teaming up against a greater threat though.
Yeah, I can see that happening too.
Either by corrupt humans, that somehow survived and want to retake Earth, or...
by the creatures who want to take back the technology, Octavio stole from them.
I mean come on, the stark contrast between the Alien-Technology and Scrap-based lifestyle of Octarians, can't be denied.
The UFO's and stuff just don't seem to fit in the lifestyle of the Octarians.

YesI'mTaco34

Inkling Cadet
NNID
YesImTaco
It was a makeshift explanation though.

I think in reality, the developers had no idea either.
They had the villains set up and the collectibles and stuff.
Monkeys collecting bananas... Makes sense right?

So yeah, then they made the villains and it all played out well.
But only after they released it, completionists were asking them why K. Rool would steal bananas?
So they quickly made up this explanation, while in reality, they didn't think of any story at all.
(And they didnt actually need to. Sometimes, less is more. And not everything needs to be explained. There is stuff that is better left to the imagination of the players)
AKA The Zelda time line

but even if this is a set up it's still doesn't take away the fact that it's canon.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
Highly doubt it. If anything, their potential playable inclusion may just make it so they are always playable with the Inklings, thus making a game centered on them pointless.

and man youre obsessed with octolings

Scarlient

Full Squid
i'm glad no one thinks they are going to have there own game cause I would not want to have to buy a new game just to play as octolings

Didn't the Twitter tease at playable Octoling Agents for MP?

On a more on-topic note, probably as a spinoff for the 3DS.

edit:

To date, the only Nintendo villains I can think of to have at least one game as the protagonist (not counting ensemble titles like Mario Kart or Super Smash Bros.) are Wario, Donkey Kong, and Bowser, and Donkey Kong is barely even a villain anymore. And in all of those games, there was someone or something unambiguously malicious threatening them, and they were effectively the heroes of their games. Also, all of them have been antagonists against Mario.

You know, I'd really enjoy a WarioWare-esque Octoling game. Make it even more bizarre and Squidbilly, too.

WhiteShiningDiamond

"We are the Crystal Squids!"
NNID
foxyfoxy90
Nahh Splatoon is still very new and needs to be established before giving some very publicly unknown villains their own games. However they might be a playable species one day.

Scarlient

Full Squid
Nahh Splatoon is still very new and needs to be established before giving some very publicly unknown villains their own games. However they might be a playable species one day.
splatoon is already really popular but I think if they are playable they will be more popular

When did Bowser ever had a official stand alone game?

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
He didn't. But he IS the protagonist and primary player character of Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story.

jason1637

Senior Squid
NNID
jason1637
Doubt it but maybe you will get to play as them in Splat2oons single player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom