• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Will the full game have Pro Controller support?

FEF

Full Squid
NNID
TheFEF
For single-player, that is.

I noticed the demo did not.

BoTalksGames

Pro Squid
Content Team
NNID
BjFauble
As of now there's no confirmation but it's seeming more and more unlikely. You can use it in Battle Dojo but that's it. Hope I'm wrong, but it's looking bleak.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
You can only play online with the Gamepad. You need it in order to perform super jumps and check the map. As for the single player, I don't see why the Pro Controller wouldn't be supported. In fact, don't they mention it in the official site?

FEF

Full Squid
NNID
TheFEF
Ahh, darn. Well, thank you for the quick responses.

Treadlight

Inkling
NNID
Excavater9
The Pro Controller doesn't have a gyroscope in it. While I don't know why it doesn't, that makes it even less likely.

Dirty Duck

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheThirdChild
Terrible decision on their part imo, I'm sure a multitude of people would've been fine using the pause menu for super jump and having a small map in the corner when using a Pro Controller. May have even preferred it to the Gamepad.

WydrA

Inkling Commander
Well in the two player lan mode they specifically said a pro controller could be used by one person and the gamepad another...

Dirty Duck

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheThirdChild
Well in the two player lan mode they specifically said a pro controller could be used by one person and the gamepad another...
Yeah, I think we all know this. It doesn't confirm the OP's query of use in Single Player though.

suavevillain

Inkling Cadet
You can only use pro controller as player 2 i really don't like the lack of controller support. I don't wanna wear out my gamepad.

FEF

Full Squid
NNID
TheFEF
You can only use pro controller as player 2 i really don't like the lack of controller support. I don't wanna wear out my gamepad.
Yeah that's basically my problem. I wear it out enough with Mario Kart, and the ZL button has gotten just a tad sticky over time. Not broken or anything, but noticeable enough to worry me sometimes.

SOUP

Inkling
NNID
SOUP_TO_GO
Looks like it's cause splitscreen will be handled through the gamepad screen, making the Battle Dojo fights mapless. There would probably be a lot of less thoughtful players neglecting their superjumps when playing pro, so I can kind of understand where they're coming from with that. Just map it to the dpad or something... that would be a good universal solution. There are a lot of unused buttons from what we saw in the demo.

edit: i totally forgot the reason i even posted. have we seen any gamepad footage of single player runs? this kind of all depends on whether they wanna push a minimap on you or not.

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I do like using my Gamepad, but I don't like letting others even touch it (because a new one is bloody expensive). My brother wants to play Splatoon as well, so unfortunately I will have to lend him the Gamepad, even though he has his own Pro Controller.

SOUP

Inkling
NNID
SOUP_TO_GO
I do like using my Gamepad, but I don't like letting others even touch it (because a new one is bloody expensive). My brother wants to play Splatoon as well, so unfortunately I will have to lend him the Gamepad, even though he has his own Pro Controller.
Yeah, I'm the only bud among my friends with a Wii U that actually bought a Pro, so I bring out the Classic for Tekken. I wanna know how much thought Nintendo put into people that are worried about wearing out their pads. Maybe Japanese people don't have as much of a problem with destroying controllers.

KurashiDragon

Full Squid
NNID
KurashiDragon
I like and hate that their mainly focusing on the Gamepad. If you actually think about it, Splatoon is the first real attempt to mainly focus on the gamepad instead of treating it as a gimmick. That, in and of itself, is commendable. However, to do so they had to completely shaft the Pro controller. Not only that but Gamepad's are extremely difficult or bloody expensive to replace. I don't like letting anyone touch my Gamepad because, If I do break it, I'm basically out of luck unless I well...... buy another Wii U basically. -_-

Astral

Astral Finish!
NNID
AstralFinish
Even having the ability to move using the Pro Controller and still be able to tap the gamepad would be a good function, hopefully Nintendo considers this later on

Doogle

Inkster Jr.
NNID
iamdoogle
I wish they would do this. The pro controller was honestly the best purchase I've made in forever and it would be so good for this.

Radi

Senior Squid
NNID
InfinityBeamX
If what I hear is true, then it sucks to be Nintendo. They'll probably lose out on a small amount of sales if it's only gamepad compatible for online mode. That's Nintendo trying to push out the word about a controller that is not much more than a gimmick. The pro controller is more than capable of being used, even if it doesn't have the touch screen. I'm pretty sure that it would be possible to make all of those functions work on a TV screen, just without the touch compatibility. They have done it in the past with other games, such as Wind Waker HD, so I really can't see why they would do something like this to Splatoon.

If Nintendo were smart, they would stop trying to prioritize the gamepad as much as they do now. Many people have broken gamepads, and they're extremely expensive to repair. You'd be almost better off just buying a refurbished Wii U from Nintendo.

One could hope that Nintendo adds compatibility for other controllers.

Dirty Duck

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheThirdChild
I'm surprised they didn't even ATTEMPT to throw in some Wiimote functionality. It seems like they love using the Wiimote for most games except the ones that it would actually make some level of sense for.

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
It comes down to that there's no way you could use the map/superjump the same as gamepad using other controllers. You guys say onscreen map, but how would you select the player to hop to? Menu? then it becomes a worse option than gamepad, right? I can see the logic behind gamepad only from a design persepective.

I guess if your gamepad is broken that's too bad, but like...it is the main Wii U controller :x

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom