• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Will the full game have Pro Controller support?

Dirty Duck

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheThirdChild
It comes down to that there's no way you could use the map/superjump the same as gamepad using other controllers. You guys say onscreen map, but how would you select the player to hop to? Menu? then it becomes a worse option than gamepad, right? I can see the logic behind gamepad only from a design persepective.

I guess if your gamepad is broken that's too bad, but like...it is the main Wii U controller :x
As far as we're aware from the demo, the select, start, and left and right D-Pad buttons are not in use. On the map have an easily visible "+" "-" and d-pad symbol appear next to corresponding teammates, push said button, super jump to them.

It's not that hard to think of a workaround, I'm just surprised they didn't.

SOUP

Inkling
NNID
SOUP_TO_GO
It comes down to that there's no way you could use the map/superjump the same as gamepad using other controllers. You guys say onscreen map, but how would you select the player to hop to? Menu? then it becomes a worse option than gamepad, right? I can see the logic behind gamepad only from a design persepective.

I guess if your gamepad is broken that's too bad, but like...it is the main Wii U controller :x
You could always map dpad directions for player slots. That dpad isn't being used for anything else, right?

Teddy

Senior Squid
NNID
EggplantAlloy
If what I hear is true, then it sucks to be Nintendo. They'll probably lose out on a small amount of sales if it's only gamepad compatible for online mode. That's Nintendo trying to push out the word about a controller that is not much more than a gimmick. The pro controller is more than capable of being used, even if it doesn't have the touch screen. I'm pretty sure that it would be possible to make all of those functions work on a TV screen, just without the touch compatibility. They have done it in the past with other games, such as Wind Waker HD, so I really can't see why they would do something like this to Splatoon.

If Nintendo were smart, they would stop trying to prioritize the gamepad as much as they do now. Many people have broken gamepads, and they're extremely expensive to repair. You'd be almost better off just buying a refurbished Wii U from Nintendo.

One could hope that Nintendo adds compatibility for other controllers.
Wind Waker HD is a single player game, so pausing to look at a map or equip an item isn't a hindrance. Splatoon is an online shooter, and the control scheme is built for convenience. You can't map things to a menu because you'd be at a disadvantage using it in the middle of a game. Also putting a map on the screen reduces visibility, which is also a disadvantage for pro controller users. That's a no no for a competitive game.

The whole point of the gamepad is to do things other controllers can't do. Making it interchangeable with any other controller would just be a waste.

ndayadn

yeah
NNID
Seabass
The text messages, m8. The demo only showed one for up and down though.
I can see it working but you just know the devs have a Radical! and Thanks! button or something.

Like. Yeah, we can think of ways to make it work but I think it's just a conscious design choice that we can't really change unfortunately ;/

Dirty Duck

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheThirdChild
I can see it working but you just know the devs have a Radical! and Thanks! button or something.

Like. Yeah, we can think of ways to make it work but I think it's just a conscious design choice that we can't really change unfortunately ;/
tbh if i'm able to spam "Radical!" to my teammates during a match, I ain't even mad about no Pro Controller.

Cloudy

Shake Shake!
NNID
Cloud6483
I hope the pro controller becomes an option. I mean what if your gamepad breaks somehow? Sending it to Nintendo for repairs and getting it back may take a while.

MrGameBoy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
DaveFeimous
While the question has already been answered, it's a shame the game doesn't fully support the Pro Controller. While I do like the GamePad and its motion control, others may not and should be allowed the option to play with a Wii U Pro Controller or Wii Classic Controller (Pro), with the map and super-jump functionality still relegated to a nearby GamePad. It's quite possible that this incomplete functionality may be a result of Nintendo trying to advertise the benefits of the Wii U's main controller, as suggested by some others above me. However, it would be nice if other controller options were to be fully supported later on via patches. (As for me, I'm hoping for Wii Remote + Nunchuk support.)

FEF

Full Squid
NNID
TheFEF
Well, this thread became a thing.

I'd be in full support of mapping the leftover buttons to super-jump. The minimap could even stay on the gamepad - I can set it up so I can see it.

What amuses me is recalling my playthrough of Pikmin 3, in which the best controls scheme (at the time) was to use the wii remote and nunchuk, and occasionally you'd have to draw along the gamepad screen. It was a bit of a mess to set up, bit even that would be better than nothing, which is what we've got here.

Look, Nintendo, I appreciate that you're trying to make the gamepad useful, but in this case, and honestly, in most cases, you've been doing that by shoehorning it into places it doesn't necessarily belong. Nobody's going to say "oh cool the gamepad" they'll instead be saying "Arghh why can't I use my pro controller?" Not all attention is good attention. I hope this is rectified in a patch.

...OK, actually, if the full game has separate settings for motion control sensitivity, and right stick sensitivity, then I'd actually prefer the gamepad. Still, the potential lack of the option kills me. I realize that we don't technically know that it's the case yet, but this shouldn't be the sort of thing that should ever be in doubt. Coughvoicechatchough...

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
No, I don't believe so.

Doogle

Inkster Jr.
NNID
iamdoogle
It really doesn't hinder the online play pausing games like CoD for a couple of seconds to check a map. As long as it's instant when you press pause there shouldn't be a problem.

I really should be hired by Nintendo honestly.

Reactions: Lyn

Jenna Zant

Inkling
Of course it doesn't, which is sad because my Wii U gamepad decided to break out of nowhere.

michael

Inkling
I checked the compatible controllers on the eShop page and it said the Wii U Pro Controller will be usable. And the fact that you can turn off gyro controls for the Gamepad makes it even more likely the Pro Controller will be usable.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I checked the compatible controllers on the eShop page and it said the Wii U Pro Controller will be usable. And the fact that you can turn off gyro controls for the Gamepad makes it even more likely the Pro Controller will be usable.
No, this is just for split-screen mode in Battle Dojo, unfortunately.

Final Fart

Inkling
NNID
TheBU213
Testers have confirmed that it wont have Pro controller support unless your in the dojo

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom