With the updates stopping around January, do you think the content we have is worth the $60?

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
Personally I really don't have any regrets buying it at launch. The amount of pure fun I had with this game is well worth its asking price. I'm sad that the updates are coming to a close but it had to end eventually right? Plus they will continue doing Splatfests even after January since that takes almost no development time at all to make.

All in all I'm pretty content with the game and it's definitely one of the best online multiplayer games I have ever played. :)

Silentium

Senior Squid
Is Splatoon worth the $60? Initially it was bare, but they did good on adding a lot of content. The map and weapon roster at least doubled, three game modes were added, lots of cosmetics were added, and we get the Splatfests to boot. I've spent at least a hundred hours so far, and I'm likely to spend a lot more time on it as well. So yea, I'd say it was worth the money.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
Most assuredly. Remember, ALL of the content was on the disc before the August update. The game wasn't as barebones as people say it was, since they'd already made that stuff.

The point is moot now, of course. Look at all the stuff!

Silentium

Senior Squid
Most assuredly. Remember, ALL of the content was on the disc before the August update. The game wasn't as barebones as people say it was, since they'd already made that stuff.

The point is moot now, of course. Look at all the stuff!
Right, it was, but spending $60 on only 5 maps, no ranked mode, only one game mode, and minimal multiplayer functionality did irk some.
However, It was great looking forward to all of the updates.

Litagano Motscoud

Inkling Commander
NNID
Litagano
It'a not bad. The game was very barebones at launch, but they've added some pretty nice stuff since then.

I'd like to see some new gamemodes, though. And this is wishful thinking, but a system for creating content would be amazing and would make this game last much longer after January. Maybe a map editor ala Forge from Halo. If not this, well, I'd still like to see some more customization in Private Battles. You know how Halo let you change all kinds of settings for custom games? I'd love to see that kind of thing in Splatoon.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I don't think my opinion holds that much weight, on account of getting the game a month after it came out, but I think on the whole the game was definitely worth the asking price. Maybe not at launch, but then I can't say much about that.

Maybe a map editor ala Forge from Halo
That would be amazing. And another thing to make Splatoon stand out, since as far as I know, no other shooter besides Halo has a thing like that.

That being said, I wonder what ways Nintendo could differentiate theirs so it looks like less of a shameless knockoff of Forge.

Spiderface

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Spiderface1992
It cost $80 here in Australia and I definitely feel like I've got my moneys worth. Never have I ever gotten so addicted to a game... and that's saying something, considering I've been a huge Nintendo fan since 1999.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
I think the overall impression I get from the game thus far is that the devs are listening very, very closely to what's happening out in the wild and responding to what they should respond to. That's almost worth the price of admission right there.

I mean, they know that we all want more single player stuff, which they said took them by surprise (I think that's being a little too humble, they must have known how great those levels were), they know we want Octolings (even if they haven't mentioned that fact), etc.

We also have to point out that even the so-called "barebones" initial release was a hyper-polished, art-heavy game. All that costs money, plus all the money going into the stuff that isn't on the disc yet, plus server and bandwidth...the game has to pay for all that with its price.

Imagine how overwhelmed somebody who just bought the game is gonna be. They have to learn over a dozen maps now, and four game modes, AND all the weapons...

Litagano Motscoud

Inkling Commander
NNID
Litagano
That would be amazing. And another thing to make Splatoon stand out, since as far as I know, no other shooter besides Halo has a thing like that.

That being said, I wonder what ways Nintendo could differentiate theirs so it looks like less of a shameless knockoff of Forge.
I'd honestly prefer it if they made it just like Forge. Forge is such a good idea, I'm not sure how you'd differentiate from it without messing it up.

Maybe it would use an overhead camera instead of a free camera like in Forge. I dunno.

Silentium

Senior Squid
We also have to point out that even the so-called "barebones" initial release was a hyper-polished, art-heavy game. All that costs money, plus all the money going into the stuff that isn't on the disc yet, plus server and bandwidth...the game has to pay for all that with its price.
Right. The game was very good as is when it initially came out. People just expected more.

Imagine how overwhelmed somebody who just bought the game is gonna be. They have to learn over a dozen maps now, and four game modes, AND all the weapons...
Thankfully Splatoon isn't a hard game to get into. The hardest part is probably the motion controls, and you can get a decent grasp on that in one playthrough of the single player campaign.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
I'd honestly prefer it if they made it just like Forge. Forge is such a good idea, I'm not sure how you'd differentiate from it without messing it up.

Maybe it would use an overhead camera instead of a free camera like in Forge. I dunno.
Remember that all maps have to be perfectly symmetrical. Any map creator would have to account for that. Plus, how would one even play on these maps? There'd be so many, and they can't just be shared like in Mario Maker

Pivi

Inkling Cadet
NNID
HeroPivi
Oh my god remember how many people were whining when the game first came out???

wonder where they are now

anyway splatoon is so good, it's been worth 60 for ages

warghoul

Inkling Cadet
If I had to put money on it most people that have this game and they look at their play log Splatoon will be on top of the list for most hours logged. So yeah its worth it.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Oh my god remember how many people were whining when the game first came out???

wonder where they are now

anyway splatoon is so good, it's been worth 60 for ages
Now whining for more content/octolings/sequel, lol.

Zero Revolution

Pro Squid
NNID
Zeedief123
Switch Friend Code
SW-8519-0178-2889
Knowing that updates would be coming past launch, I thought it was worth the $60 from the beginning. Yeah the content was fairly limited when it released, but they had already confirmed updates before it launched. I've played over 200 hours of Splatoon and haven't had as much fun with any other online multiplayer game as I have with it. Definitely worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom