• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Would you turn off music if it was a option?

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
Heck no! I might not like all the tracks, but Splatoon has some of my favorite original game music in quite some time! Of course I guess it might be interesting to ink up the place to some Jimi Hendrix or Tool... Hmmm.
Aenema seems appropriate here....LEARN TO SWIM, SQUIDS!!

Breademic

Senior Squid
NNID
Breademic
Whenever I lose, I immediately turn down the volume on my TV. I hate hearing the lose theme. It makes me even more mad.

SquiliamTentacles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Mr_Squigggles
I probally wouldn't, the music pumps me up and makes the battle more fun to me.

However, I would be in favor for the option, as it would help people hear sound effects and enable people to use custom music in the background.

pooplooser

Full Squid
I'd probably turn it off, if I could.
know it might sound a bit strange, but the soundtrack seems to make me a worse player than when I mute it, despite the lack of sound effects.
think it has something to do with the fact that I can't think clearly when listening to rock music.

if there was an option to use a custom soundtrack, I would abuse that to the maximum extent.
This is by far my favorite response! It reflects on how I feel, could you imagine doing homework while listening to music? I know some students who can, but there are definitely the ones who can't. This kind of applies to Splatoon as well.
Also, I have a theory.

In a situation where the enemies have covered the entire map with their ink, and they are hiding in tricky spots to flank you they emit a very faint sound. Almost like a bubbly/fish tank sound.
I don't know if the sound comes from you while in squid form, or from other players as well. IF SO, if this was the case then the option to turn off the in-game music could give you the upper hand in a "ninja" situation where you listen for enemies in their ink. Crazy huh? I have not conducted any tests with my squid partners.

mezzo

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ledyba
to me, a game without bgm is odd and a little distracting in its own right, so i think i wouldn't turn it off. plus, the music in splatoon is actually good, so there's no reason to turn it off imo ^o^

Mendax

Pro Squid
NNID
hazzahbazzah
This is by far my favorite response! It reflects on how I feel, could you imagine doing homework while listening to music? I know some students who can, but there are definitely the ones who can't.
Thanks, haha!
Yeah, I listen to music all the time while studying. Helps me concentrate, though it depends on the music genre. Lounge Music and Ambience seems to work the best.
Also, I have a theory.

In a situation where the enemies have covered the entire map with their ink, and they are hiding in tricky spots to flank you they emit a very faint sound. Almost like a bubbly/fish tank sound.
I don't know if the sound comes from you while in squid form, or from other players as well. IF SO, if this was the case then the option to turn off the in-game music could give you the upper hand in a "ninja" situation where you listen for enemies in their ink. Crazy huh? I have not conducted any tests with my squid partners.
From what I've done, the "submerged in ink" sound seems to be a client-side thing: in other words, only the person in squid form can hear it. That said, I'm pretty sure the standard swimming noise can be heard even with Ninja Squid. Shall test this later on, if I can.

Legacy

Inkster Jr.
I wouldn't mind a toggle to adjust the music and sound effect levels like in smash. As for practical purposes. I would turn it off the music for streaming purposes. But other than that, I do fine with the music on. It also helps that Splatoon's music is pretty good imo.

pooplooser

Full Squid
From what I've done, the "submerged in ink" sound seems to be a client-side thing: in other words, only the person in squid form can hear it. That said, I'm pretty sure the standard swimming noise can be heard even with Ninja Squid. Shall test this later on, if I can.
You would be surprised of all the small sounds you don't hear because the music is blasting loud

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
I can really go for some BGM & SFX sliders. Sometimes I want to listen to something else or talk on skype. But still hear what's going on in-game.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
I'd love to play my favorite music outside of Splatoon, so yeah, I'd like the option. Dunno why they don't have the option to turn it off in the first place. Shouldn't something like that be easy to program into the game?

Rockenberg

CEO of Rockenberg
NNID
Rockenberg_Ltd
Having the option to turn off the music is definitely ideal. Whether or not I would turn it off depends on which mode, like with ranked battles, I'd probably turn it off.
(EDIT) Or at least turn it down, so I can hear the opponents better.

Last edited:

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
I'm not competitive, but I would never turn the music off for this game. It's fun to listen to and complements the feel of the game well. It's not generic techno or unspecified rock like with Marvel vs. Capcom 3 where I DO substitute in music (albeit music from other video games).

The only regret about Splatoon's soundtrack is that Nintendo never went to Hideki Naganuma. Maybe for the sequel.

No. In fact, I don't trust people who turn off music in video games. Video game music is life.
Heh, do you collect video game music too? I even have plenty of songs from games I've never played.

Heck no! I might not like all the tracks, but Splatoon has some of my favorite original game music in quite some time! Of course I guess it might be interesting to ink up the place to some Jimi Hendrix or Tool... Hmmm.
Just don't put it up online, because the Jimi Hendrix estate is one of the most sue-happy music estates there are.

This is by far my favorite response! It reflects on how I feel, could you imagine doing homework while listening to music? I know some students who can, but there are definitely the ones who can't. This kind of applies to Splatoon as well.
I don't listen to music when I'm trying to concentrate, but video games are near-unbearable to me if there isn't some music playing. It gets a lot more drab.

yes, i'd never have to listen to the defeat theme ever again, pure bliss
I honestly don't mind the lose theme very much. It reminds me of "Patrol Knob" from Jet Set Radio:

I'd love to play my favorite music outside of Splatoon, so yeah, I'd like the option.
Meanwhile, I'd put music from Splatoon into other stuff.

Celeste

Inkling
NNID
Celestefey
I think the option should be available for players to choose. I like listening to videogame OSTs so I think I'd leave the music on. But I'd love if we could make our own 'playlist'. So we can pick what sort of songs will play during each match. I reallyyy love listening to some of the songs, especially the ones by the Chirpy Chirps (that chiptune...)! So then if I just wanted to listen to certain songs I could, and if I didn't want to listen to other songs, I wouldn't have to. Would be cool if in the next installment of Splatoon we could have more songs to play in battles since I'd really like some sort of playlist feature.

ϛ(°³°)/`

Inkling Commander
I'd like to see the option of selecting from available tracks to play during the match. Some songs like Shellfie and Kraken Up get me in a Splatoon mood but others are just irritating. Throw in the option to use the 1-player mode music and we're starting to look a lot like Smash 4's Smash Run mode. Obviously a temporary "silent mode" button would be great for those that'd rather have the auditory advantage but not want to have to reselect their favourites each time.

Zombie Aladdin

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Overhazard
A playlist would be nice, but I'd definitely want to have Turquoise October's music included. I quite like "Tentacular Circus" and "Eight-Legged Advance." They're upbeat enough to fit with the frantic battling. Story-wise, though, it woukdn't make sense.

Yep. In fact, I have to listen to a game's soundtrack before buying it. Can't be bothered to play games with average music. :p
That's an interesting concept. I've played plenty of games with unremarkable soundtrack...particularly since American games from the 6th generaton and onwards are all about ambience; they don't care much about memorable music. Asian game developers tend to care about their music a lot more (though American companies inspired by Japanese gaming usually do, like WayForward and Lab Zero.).

On the flip side, there are also games with fantastic music but mediocre to terrible gameplay, like Kirby Ar Ride anf Karnaaj Racing. This seems to happen at SEGA a lot, from Sonic 2006 to NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom