• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

You Cannot Decelerate Naturally in Air

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
Sorry, I could not think of a good name for this thread, so I decided to name it for what it is. Basically, when you jump, you can't decelerate naturally, as the title states. This allows for some unique new "tech", and greatly increases the versatility of the Dynamo Roller and the chargers (chargers charge very slow in the air, this tech does not help them much). I don't have access to my Wii U at the moment, or else I would record a video to show what I am saying, so I will just draw some pictures to illustrate what I am talking about.
Excuse my drawings

As you can see by my horrible picture, the player using the Dynamo Roller simply press ZR to splat the roller, and moves very slowly while charging it.

However, if Mr. Dynamo Roller jumps, press ZR mid air, then, jumps just as he reaches the ground, he will retain his walking speed throughout the charge animation. This allows him to move quickly behind walls if he realizes that the enemy is too far away now, or quickly catch up to a fleeing enemy.
Of course, this does not only apply to the Dynamo Roller, however, I found it the easiest to illustrate with.
EDIT:
Here is a video demonstrating the technique

Last edited:

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Yeah, this is really good knowledge to have, especially when I try out the Dynamo Roller again (hopefully tomorrow) or any of the Blasters (been meaning to do some testing with the Rapid Blaster Deco, this seems like a good way to deal with the slow-as-molasses walk speed while firing).
I've been seeing Inkbrushers do this too, usually against me for an easy and quick splat.
Do you think this might be good for Chargers to do if they're running away (ie. charge a shot while hopping away, then shooting mid-jump)?ci've been looking for some way to react to attackers if I ever try Chargers again, so I'm just curious.

Last edited:

Grafkarpador

Inkling Cadet
NNID
grafkarpador
yes, absolutely correct. This is also the tech that transforms the dynamo from a slow useless tank that can't even get out of the damn spawn to a killing and ink spraying powerhouse. always use your midair inertia for dynamos and you regain all of the mobility you have lost! It's probably the most important skill that makes or breaks a good dynamo.

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
I just recorded a video for it. Unfortunately, it seems, as I explain in the video, it does not seem to be to useful to anything except the Dynamo Roller (and it doesn't work for the chargers at all). Posting it in the OP once it's finished uploading.

Ikieri

Pro Squid
NNID
Mendozaz
Let's call it Pump Dashing! We already got Splat Dashing so why not do the same for us rollers? Can anyone test if this works for the regular one?

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
I don't know why the video isn't showing, it was earlier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H39iOUWNBew
I did it yesterday and it accepted YouTube as media, did they change it today?
I was testing it with the other rollers, but they slap fast and don't slow much when they attack, so it only gave them a small boost of speed.

Last edited:

shane3x

Full Squid
I'm a bit confused, so what you are saying is when you are charging the dynamo roller you dont really move anywhere but if you essentially spam jump while doing it you can actually move around faster because jumping is somewhat unaffected by the normal reduction of speed the charging comes with?

Zonderion

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Zonderion
I'm a bit confused, so what you are saying is when you are charging the dynamo roller you dont really move anywhere but if you essentially spam jump while doing it you can actually move around faster because jumping is somewhat unaffected by the normal reduction of speed the charging comes with?
Essentially yes. You maintain momentum in your jump, so while normally charging you move slow. If you jump right before you hit ZR, then any momentum will carry over. At least that's how I understand it.

Does starting as a squid provide more momentum for the beginning jump?

Faces3

Inkling
NNID
LowKey123
that art tho
and i assume that starting as a squid provides more momentum for the jump, it seems logical
depend on friendan to do work in the lab for us lazy peeps

halpenstance

Inkling
Just tested this today and...

HOLY CRAP THIS MIGHT BE THE BEST 'HIDDEN' TECH SO FAR.

This is just bonkers with the Dynamo roller. Not only do you get the increased ranged from jumping and swinging, but keeping your speed lets you follow or close a wide gap. You can just splat so many unknowing squids over and over again with this. The Dynamo Roller becomes so absolutely terrifying, it's wonderful.

Thanks for bringing this up, love it.

Friendan

Pro Squid
NNID
xdbrendanxd
Glad to know that people are using it :D
I was testing jumping out of squid form with it. I tried pressing ZR right when I crossed the line, and these are the average results that I got
Regular jump:

Jump out of squid:

Zonderion

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Zonderion
So it looks like the jump out of squid provides just a little bit more range? Maybe a couple feet (or meter)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom