• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Octobrush: Analysis and Thoughts Thread

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
As an Inkbrush main, I can say that the Octobrush is just really slow. It can't cover as quickly because of how slow it is, and IMO the sprinkler is much better than Squid Beakons. I was really excited for this weapon, but it jut doesn't perform as well as the inkbrush.
I think the octobrush has the edge in covering SPEED, that is to say it can cover a particular area in a shorter amount of time than the inkbrush due to it's bigger splashes. What gives the inkbrush it's raw scoring potential is it's super speed coupled with better ink economy letting it ink more consistently without pause while reaching new areas to ink faster than anyone else, on top of it's sprinkler of course.

It's true that the Octobrush just can't pull off the maneuvers an ink brush is known for nearly as well but that doesn't make it a worse weapon, considering it's better versatility in a fight.

Cobbs

Senior Squid
NNID
CCobbs
As an Inkbrush main, I can say that the Octobrush is just really slow. It can't cover as quickly because of how slow it is, and IMO the sprinkler is much better than Squid Beakons. I was really excited for this weapon, but it jut doesn't perform as well as the inkbrush.
I find the octo to be the more offensive weapon, while inkbrush is more defensive. I think both weapons perform the sneaky role well, the speed difference isnt that meaningful because splat-squid-splat-squid is still the more careful way to advance through abandoned enemy territory.

Octo is also much more hands-on for inking. IB uses sprinklers at range to cover space, whole the octo prefers to get there and ink it up quick thanks to longer splash range. You can kill better, so its more comfortable and less risky to do this thank with IB.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
I find the octo to be the more offensive weapon, while inkbrush is more defensive. I think both weapons perform the sneaky role well, the speed difference isnt that meaningful because splat-squid-splat-squid is still the more careful way to advance through abandoned enemy territory.

Octo is also much more hands-on for inking. IB uses sprinklers at range to cover space, whole the octo prefers to get there and ink it up quick thanks to longer splash range. You can kill better, so its more comfortable and less risky to do this thank with IB.
The rolling speed mainly comes into play in disadvantageous firefights. The inkbrush is fast enough to throw people's aim off and escape from their range relatively easily, while possibly taking the opportunity to carve a path through enemy to the enemy base if the situation and map permit, creating a big distraction for the offending player. It's never guaranteed with player aim of course, but the inkbrush is the only weapon that can escape through enemy ink with some reliability.

The octobrush just can't do this as well not only because it's slower and thus easier to hit, but it's fast ink consumption keeps it from going too far. In a fight, the octobrush is much more apt to stand it's ground unless severely outranged.

Cobbs

Senior Squid
NNID
CCobbs
The rolling speed mainly comes into play in disadvantageous firefights. The inkbrush is fast enough to throw people's aim off and escape from their range relatively easily, while possibly taking the opportunity to carve a path through enemy to the enemy base if the situation and map permit, creating a big distraction for the offending player. It's never guaranteed with player aim of course, but the inkbrush is the only weapon that can escape through enemy ink with some reliability.

The octobrush just can't do this as well not only because it's slower and thus easier to hit, but it's fast ink consumption keeps it from going too far. In a fight, the octobrush is much more apt to stand it's ground unless severely outranged.
Right, and that's fantastic, but I think 160% faster speed and 190% faster speed isn't a big enough difference to make it so the Octo CAN'T escape. You still move faster than most people as the octo, and using your brain when planning an escape route will let you get away effectively.

The fact that the octo has to move less when covering a room is a big deal to me too, it allows me to stay in safer positions before moving into enemy territory. The added splash range of the Octo balances out the fact that you no longer have a sprinkler. The longer splash range is worse for coverage of course than a sprinkler, but makes you more formidable in most combat scenarios -- so it balances out and makes you less "well I can't fight head-on, so I better focus on inking". The octo is more well rounded but that comes with a price.

I love both weapons and switch between them all the time. I feel the octo may be more boring than the inkbrush from a coverage-based perspective - inkbrush has the best sub and specials for covering turf, so playing the octo the same way isn't ideal. Rather, you've got to play them differently.

Octo doesn't play that much differently than a krak-on roller, you just do less rolling and more movement around territory to grab spots. The octo has the ability to focus on multiple playstyles, while the krak-on is more limited in its playstyle.

Edit: I also feel people are making a bigger deal about consumption than should be made. It consumes more than the inkbrush when rolling (you really shouldn't be rolling THAT often with either of these), but the same when adjusted for swing speed when splashing. It consumes no more than a few other roller-class weapons. The inkbrush lets loose fewer ink with each swing, making the octo feel, to me, much more efficient when splashing as the job is done in much fewer swings.

So the fact that the octobrush consumes a fraction more than the inkbrush when escaping doesn't mean the octobrush CAN'T escape. You can't really take small pros and cons and make them define/pidgeonhole the role of the weapon for you. It's hyperbolic and will prevent you from having a level head when it comes to the numbers-side of how different the weapons truly are in actual use.

(Basically, see how less far you actually get with the octo vs inkbrush when escaping. The difference isn't enough to make the Octo not able to escape in situations where the inkbrush could)

Last edited:

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
Right, and that's fantastic, but I think 160% faster speed and 190% faster speed isn't a big enough difference to make it so the Octo CAN'T escape. You still move faster than most people as the octo, and using your brain when planning an escape route will let you get away effectively.

The fact that the octo has to move less when covering a room is a big deal to me too, it allows me to stay in safer positions before moving into enemy territory. The added splash range of the Octo balances out the fact that you no longer have a sprinkler. The longer splash range is worse for coverage of course than a sprinkler, but makes you more formidable in most combat scenarios -- so it balances out and makes you less "well I can't fight head-on, so I better focus on inking". The octo is more well rounded but that comes with a price.

I love both weapons and switch between them all the time. I feel the octo may be more boring than the inkbrush from a coverage-based perspective - inkbrush has the best sub and specials for covering turf, so playing the octo the same way isn't ideal. Rather, you've got to play them differently.

Octo doesn't play that much differently than a krak-on roller, you just do less rolling and more movement around territory to grab spots. The octo has the ability to focus on multiple playstyles, while the krak-on is more limited in its playstyle.

Edit: I also feel people are making a bigger deal about consumption than should be made. It consumes more than the inkbrush when rolling (you really shouldn't be rolling THAT often with either of these), but the same when adjusted for swing speed when splashing. It consumes no more than a few other roller-class weapons. The inkbrush lets loose fewer ink with each swing, making the octo feel, to me, much more efficient when splashing as the job is done in much fewer swings.

So the fact that the octobrush consumes a fraction more than the inkbrush when escaping doesn't mean the octobrush CAN'T escape. You can't really take small pros and cons and make them define/pidgeonhole the role of the weapon for you. It's hyperbolic and will prevent you from having a level head when it comes to the numbers-side of how different the weapons truly are in actual use.

(Basically, see how less far you actually get with the octo vs inkbrush when escaping. The difference isn't enough to make the Octo not able to escape in situations where the inkbrush could)
We speak a lot about it's consumption because outside of it's range thats the only real weakness this weapon has. Of course smart play can easily mitigate this but it's still very important to keep in mind.

I never said octo COULDN'T pull off the insane escapes and flanking, but in general I feel far less confident in attempting those than I am with the inkbrush.
Remember that in most situations where you roll you potentially have a pursuer (since if no one is around you'll just be swinging to cover the area), and the inkbrush's ability to go faster and farther with less ink used make such moves safer with that weapon.

deepseadiva

Full Squid
This weapon almost feels like it doesn't have a sub. Beacon just seems so AWFUL on this thing and horribly mismatched.

I haven't found a legitimate way to use them yet.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
Agree regarding beacon. So underwhelming.
This sub and the kraken are the main reasons I still try to flank and play somewhat sneakily with this weapon, so that I can get to good positions to plant beacons
or places to surprise people with the special. Because the nouveau is clearly optimized more for full-frontal assault than any other brush.

CoconutTank

Senior Squid
This weapon almost feels like it doesn't have a sub. Beacon just seems so AWFUL on this thing and horribly mismatched.

I haven't found a legitimate way to use them yet.
That's mainly how I end up using the Krak-On Roller in randoms, since the ink cost on Beakons is so high and nobody uses them except me anyway.

Speaking of which, how do folks think the Octobrush fares in comparison to the Krak-On Roller? Same sub and special, but main weapons are very different.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
It really depends on the map, but I sometimes like to plant beacons in the open as distractions similar to how some people use the sprinker. I noticed some idiots won't even break beakons even if they are standing right next to them as well which is fine by me.

HappyBear801

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
HappyBear801
Oh right, it was an inkzooka not bomb rush. My mistake.

Either way, I really like this weapon. Gives me the speed I want but also gives me the power I want like the Gals. Can't wait for the rebrand version.
You might be thinking of the Luna Blaster Neo, which will come with Splat Bomb Rush.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
It really depends on the map, but I sometimes like to plant beacons in the open as distractions similar to how some people use the sprinker. I noticed some idiots won't even break beakons even if they are standing right next to them as well which is fine by me.
That is because, unfortunately, everyone tends to ignore squid beacons, even members of your own team unless they're the ones planting them.
Whether they simply don't know what they do or just can't be bothered to jump to a potentially highly beneficial location in favor of charging the objective I don't know.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
That is because, unfortunately, everyone tends to ignore squid beacons, even members of your own team unless they're the ones planting them.
Whether they simply don't know what they do or just can't be bothered to jump to a potentially highly beneficial location in favor of charging the objective I don't know.
I either find that it is true that my team will either ignore the squid beakons or over use them. It is always a lot of fun on a team where every player has beakons because the map is crazy lit up (And we all know to use them and replace them when used.) I am still wondering what makes it so sometimes they don't break when jumped to? Does it have to do with how soon someone jumped to them after they were planted or how much damage they have had or what? It seems a bit random sometimes.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
I either find that it is true that my team will either ignore the squid beakons or over use them. It is always a lot of fun on a team where every player has beakons because the map is crazy lit up (And we all know to use them and replace them when used.) I am still wondering what makes it so sometimes they don't break when jumped to? Does it have to do with how soon someone jumped to them after they were planted or how much damage they have had or what? It seems a bit random sometimes.
Never happened to me, I think it's just the beacons being immediately replaced after use (usually by their planter). More than one person can jump to one beacon
if done in quick succession tough.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
Never happened to me, I think it's just the beacons being immediately replaced after use (usually by their planter). More than one person can jump to one beacon
if done in quick succession tough.
I have jumped to beakons and watched people jump to beakons and leave with the beacon remaining undamaged. I also noticed that my special meter will slowly fill up by itself more rapidly when my team is heavily disadvantaged so maybe it is similar to that? I don't know-

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler
I have jumped to beakons and watched people jump to beakons and leave with the beacon remaining undamaged. I also noticed that my special meter will slowly fill up by itself more rapidly when my team is heavily disadvantaged so maybe it is similar to that? I don't know-
You must be using equipment with tenacity, that's exactly what it does (fill up special automatically when your team has less members alive than the enemy).

You could also be jumping directly to a player who is near the beacon.

Achamo

Inkling Commander
NNID
KupoSuppi
As an Ink Brush user , I'll be using all Ink/Octo brushes, no matter which is worse, or better than the other. Each has their own potential, and I'll use them depending on the stages, and how I feel I should support the team on those stages~

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
You must be using equipment with tenacity, that's exactly what it does (fill up special automatically when your team has less members alive than the enemy).

You could also be jumping directly to a player who is near the beacon.
No I am not using Tenacity, I know what it does, but if you ever been in ranked and been hiding by swimming up a wall and staying there sometimes you will see your special gauge moving slowly and sometimes it will fill up completely. Also there are no teammates around. So I am guessing maybe it is just lag and it breaks later after I jump to it/Someone puts one down immediately after jumping to it or it is random or something...

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
This has become my main weapon, alongside the Gold Dynamo Roller and possibly Splat Roller and .52 Gal Deco.
I'm really feeling its mix of range, power and speed. It has enough power and range to be respectable in combat, and its speed, while not Inkbrush SONIC SPEED, is pretty great. This thing required me to change my loadout, going for Damage Ups and Ink Saver Mains instead of my previously usual Special Charge Up and Ink Saver Sub-heavy loadout, but it's paid off quite a bit. I finally found a weapon that fits my playstyle; I like to attack aggressively, rushing straight into enemy territory, and the speed is great for getting into enemy territory, while the respectable power, alright range, and wide swing radius are great when I get into combat. And with this playstyle, Squid Beakons are actually kind of useful, since I can place them where I want to return to when I get splatted or place them so my teammates can get close to where I am while I press forward. Additionally, the Kraken is a good all-purpose Special; even if it still sucks at attacking like I said earlier in this thread, it's still good for running away from better-ranged enemies (or even deeper behind enemy lines; this idea has its moments).
And while the Octobrush is still not optimized for offense, like I said before, it's more of a balanced Inkbrush-type weapon, which is certainly nice. It's become my main weapon, I've certainly changed some of my opinions on it (it's a good weapon, better than I gave it credit for previously, but it's not great for offense (despite my success with it on offense, this is still true, at least I think so), it still has no way to attack outside of its swing range (which is mostly bad because it struggles against good Chargers and midrange combat because of this), Kraken continues to be bad for attacking outside of ambushes, and it's still not good to rely on Specials to compensate for your weapon's weaknesses).
On a related note, can't wait for the Octobrush Nouveau and its Splat Bombs (also Splat Bomb Rush, that'll be good too). Finally, the offensive Inkbrush I've been waiting for!
It's weird how I keep enjoying weapons I started off disliking, between this, the Gold Dynamo Roller, the Splat Roller, the L3 Nozzlenose (though that didn't stick in my arsenal, I do like it).

karl childers

Full Squid
On a related note, can't wait for the Octobrush Nouveau and its Splat Bombs (also Splat Bomb Rush, that'll be good too). Finally, the offensive Inkbrush I've been waiting for!
Same here. By far the biggest problem I have with the current version is when a skilled player manages to slip away before I can land the final kill stroke & then they start shooting at me from a range beyond reach of the brush & not far away enough to where I can zip out of there. It really sucks. I do my best to avoid such situations, but it still happens. I think splat bombs will greatly amend these irritating situations. Not to mention the countless other instances where a splat bomb would be tremendously useful. Also I heard its coming with Inkzooka which will be great against snipers - especially on Moray Towers [turf wars version] which I feel is hell for the octobrush.

but it's not great for offense (despite my success with it on offense, this is still true, at least I think so)
I somewhat agree. Based on what I've experienced, it's extremely good for defense. But the times where its effectively offensive are rather situational. It depends a lot on the stage, the positioning of the opponents & what your opponents are doing. If they're scattered you could press forward & flank them. But if they're close together in a fortified position and they're playing very carefully there isn't much I can do on my own. I find that the best opportunities to go on the offense is when one or more of my teammates go on the offense. My favorite tactic is to swim in the stream of ink [using ninja squid] that's being made by my teammate as he's firing into their base. The opponents will be so focused on splatting him and others that they don't even realize that I'm hiding in it until it's too late. It's risky but it's worth it. And it's fun!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom