• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

What about Splatoon made you want it?

Nin☆Jun

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Dantel
I've been wanting a decent IP for quite a while now, I was sold on how fun it is to cover the entire field in ink, your ink! You can just splatter anyone who gets in your way!

Quite appeasing for someone destructive as I.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
There are two main points of interest for me.

The first was during the announcement video. I loved the concept and amazing character design. Got me very hooked to see more. I wanted to see more of these "Inklings." I wasn't completely hooked on the gameplay yet but it was still cool looking.

Then the second point was the single player trailer, which shows a lot of love is going into this game. That trailer was just amazing, and makes me want to play story mode to the end. First thing I'm doing.

pixelatedcody

[S+99] Octoshot {AKA Pixel]
NNID
cncody
The Concept and the Art, it hooked me from the start.

Reactions: AEM
The theme song reminded me of a 90's Nickelodeon tv show. The squid motif reminded me of some tentacle hentai I wished I unsaw. The colors reminds me of post-post modernism. The gameplay reminds me of TF2 meets Mario Paint SpongeBob meets Rugrats meets Nintendo. Overall, everything drew me in besides the entire tenticle hentai thing.

Arne

Full Squid
NNID
Arne83
It's a unique shooter with a color pallet that has more than just various shades of gray and brown.

KamekSans

Inkling
Everything! It's a unique territory control/TPS from Nintendo with squid people, what more can you ask for?

The characters look unique, the idea for the game looks semi-unique
(I'll explain), the gameplay seems to be like Paintball, being someone who's played paintball before, finds this to potentially very fun, However... The game reminds me of De Blob, another game that was on Wii, where your goal is to absorb colors and then paint multiple cities and towns before a timer runs out, while interacting with characters who come out from underground (they come out from underneath manholes, which is just like that old man inkling), in fact you are a creature that colors stuff with paint, while your foes are inkful creatures, who take the color out of stuff.

Which is funny, when you think about the inklings in splatoon and how they fire colored ink at things.

Infact, De Blob can run out of paint after a while, similarly to the Inklings, as well as move slower when walking in ink (Also similar to when Red inklings walk into blue inklings ink)

Not saying that Splatoon may be bad, but I just think that is took heavy inspiration from that game.

Oni

Full Squid
Because I need a reason for my Wii U to have value (kidding. W101 would be ebough)

the art style caught my attention. The unique gameplay and maneuverability cemented it as a must have. I loved Brink because of the ability to run around. Movement in Shooters is always fun and Splatoon has that in spades. also UI prefer 3rd person shooters to 1st so its even better.

This game has so much charm it isnt even funny and I hope it continues to grow and becomes a series and not a one-off game.

Oniric

Inkster Jr.
Never really cared about shooters, they all seemed bland and boring. And usually their artstyles are photo-realistic which makes them for me even more boring, since I want games to switch off my mind from reality. Furthermore, I'll be honest the gameplay feels sluggish and slow for me.

However, Splatoon changes everything we know about shooting games: it's colourful, fast paced, characters look lovable, it has personality. I was never expecting Nintendo doing a game like this at all when they said they were talking about how they could make their own shooter games a long time ago.

Raethien

Inkster Jr.
Just the whole idea of splatoon made me like it, It looks like it can be a very enjoyable game. Will be my favorite shooter I can already tell.

Oni

Full Squid
Never really cared about shooters, they all seemed bland and boring. And usually their artstyles are photo-realistic which makes them for me even more boring, since I want games to switch off my mind from reality. Furthermore, I'll be honest the gameplay feels sluggish and slow for me.

However, Splatoon changes everything we know about shooting games: it's colourful, fast paced, characters look lovable, it has personality. I was never expecting Nintendo doing a game like this at all when they said they were talking about how they could make their own shooter games a long time ago.
Sounds a lot like tf2.

Animated, fast paced, and has interesting characters. :p

Icedise

The Savage Squid
NNID
IceDise
Colorful and interesting gameplay. I'd lie if I told you that I've played anything like Splatoon before.

Oni

Full Squid
I'm really inexperienced in shooting games.:oops:
at least your honest. It's free 2 play if you care.

of course this is splatoon boards not tf2. Good luck with the new shooter experience.

MagicScrumpy

Inkling
The artstyle and concept of the game were what initially drew me in, and then watching the gameplay trailer made me so hype that I almost pissed myself.

Locuan

Unofficial Squid Guru
First of all, the art style and design direction. I'm not a fan of hyper realistic games, which means the traditional shooters just don't appeal to me. I also don't like war in the realistic sense. This is because I believe it's one of our immature and ignorant properties as humans; which is a stage we need to grow out of.

Splatoon is different, it reminds me of simply friends getting together and just having a good time playing paintball. Combine that with a competitive environment and I'm sold. Above all else, it looks fun. That's the most important thing.

:227:

Flying_Tortoise

Sushi Chef
I was actually unsure at first, tbh.
But I saw the amazing originality of being able to have quick movement by using ink to make your pathway. Being able to actually move up walls rly emphasized the originality.
And the idea that I could play with a team of 4 against a team of 4. I play with my brothers other team strategy shooters and always have so much fun. High-fiving each other when we win, getting super excited because we did so well as a team, and just laughing at some quirky stuff that happened to us in the match.
So a Team strategy..in a nintendo shooter...that made it a must.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom