• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

1 Million Dollar Splatoon Tournament Announced!

All the squids and kids in Japan are getting in their freshest gear because the biggest turf war of all time is about to go down! Alongside a tournament for Puzzle & Dragons the largest tournament ever for Splatoon with over 1 Million dollars in prizes. The tournament series is being hosted by Kadokawa and Toukaihi / Nicovideo parent company Dwango.

Eight cities are set to hold forty events in this major series, the first of which start here:
  • Fukuoka (September 13)
  • Sapporo (September 26)
  • Nagoya (October 11)
  • Osaka (November 3)
  • Miyagi (November 15)
  • Hiroshima (November 22)
  • Kagawa (December 13)
  • Tokyo (January 30)

The tournaments will feature four on four Turf War matches with no weapon limitations. If any tournament has too many entrants those playing with be decided by a lottery. The grand finals will be held on January 30th through 31st in 2016. There is no current word on if a similar tournament will be coming to Europe or North America but stay tuned Squidboards for Splatoon coverage!

Comments

The game's been out for 2 months and it's got a 1,000,000 dollar tourney.... meanwhile fighting game prize pots barely hit the 100k mark and they've been around for more than a decade... good thing I'm playing this game now!
my exact thoughts. Even more perspective this is more than 30x the prize money for melee at EVO...for a game that's been out a few months.This is absolutely crazy! LETS GO!!!!
Idk about you but I am gonna keep practicing my butte off x)
socal better hurry up and get a tournament scene going. I want to practice (some are coming up but i want em sooner x) )

wait, just curious, do we know if this is the prize money in total?
Not sure although it says 'Over one million dollars in prizes' so it may be all the prizes in total and some might not even be money and might just have a 'market price' that they are using to estimate the amount (physical prizes are nice because the company can usually get it for cheaper than what it is normally sold to consumers.)

do we know if this is the prize money in total?
From the wording it seems like it's 1 million total prize money across all awards. Makes sense, because the events begin in September, with the final location beginning in late January, so it likely won't end until a bit into February. That means in all, the events will span across six months, so it is a pretty long thing going on.

One thing I'm confused about. Will they be providing the Wii Us or will the players have to bring their own?

If they are providing Wii Us, it wouldn't make much sense. How would each player use their regular gear? All the abilities they're used to would not be available to them. Unless everyone is playing with the same exact set of gear in order to be "fair".

Reactions: mle
Just throwing this in... does it really say 1 million dollars? Not maybe 1 million yen? Apart from 1M$ being huuuge, it would be a lot more reasonable for a japanese tourney to announce their prize money in the japanese currency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom