• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

4 Hours Between Map Switching

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
2 Maps for every 4 hours.
Okay, but... why? Discuss.

Dr. Peace

Full Squid
Hopefully it's just a test run initially and they speed it up or just make it a selectable/randomly chosen thing later. Still, it's probably a stealthful way for nintendo to try and limit binge playing, hoping people will limit their playtime to an hour or so during each stage session rather than 3+ hours straight.

Reactions: Lyn

itisRag

friendly neighborhood rag
NNID
itisrag
I'm not sure if it was clear whether it would be the same 2 maps across all gametypes, or if it only applies to Regular Battles. Since Regular Battles are the only gametype available at first, that is irrelevant until we unlock Ranked Battles. As more gametypes are released over time through Ranked Battle mode, different gametypes will probably require different kinds of maps, or at least modified versions of the same maps.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I'm not sure if it was clear whether it would be the same 2 maps across all gametypes, or if it only applies to Regular Battles. Since Regular Battles are the only gametype available at first, that is irrelevant until we unlock Ranked Battles. As more gametypes are released over time through Ranked Battle mode, different gametypes will probably require different kinds of maps, or at least modified versions of the same maps.
Yeah, but I am still frustrated by being limited to only 2 maps for that long. There's really no purpose. I mean, maybe there's something I'm missing? I doubt it, though.

Draayder

Inkling Cadet
It kind of sounds like you might be picking your weapon before you know which map you're going to? So having just the two narrows what you might be running into? Idk that system would be easily resolved by letting you pick weapon right after the map is selected.

4 hours is a bit long, hopefully it'll get changed or is only going to affect normal matches.

Setu

I actually really like this. It gives you something to look forward to every so often and the stages get less boring(or at least some of them)

BoTalksGames

Pro Squid
Content Team
NNID
BjFauble
Hm, good idea but I could see it failing in execution. It would keep stages that aren't very popular in the mix which is good but at the same time it'll make everyone mad because their favorite stage might not show up for another 4 hours.

4 hours seems long. Hope they change it to every hour/2 hours with the August update.

Citanul

Senior Squid
NNID
outforprophets
Idk that system would be easily resolved by letting you pick weapon right after the map is selected.
Yeah I was thinking about that too. The only difference would be is that having a rotating set of maps every 4 hours lets you do shopping/weapon trials with those maps in mind.

Let's say I got into a game and then I was faced with maps where I don't have a good gear set up to try. With picking after the map selection, I need to be prepared coming into the match. If the maps are set, I can at least browse around the stores with those maps in mind. End result is that maybe I get to try out more specialized things rather than stick with a safe weapon set because I don't know what map I'll get necessarily.

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
I think we'll have to wait and see just how stifling the slow map turnover is. I agree that four hours sounds pretty rough, but with the matches being so fast-paced that could go by in a flash.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
Good concept, bad execution. I feel the rotation period is too long. But as @DaKid posted, there will be 3 stages at a time in the future (I'm assuming when the new stages release.)

suavevillain

Inkling Cadet
It seems like a way to try to cover up the lack of maps. There is 5 in total that is really small. That wait time is too long.

DaKid

Pro Squid
Good concept, bad execution. I feel the rotation period is too long. But as @DaKid posted, there will be 3 stages at a time in the future (I'm assuming when the new stages release.)
Yeah I also think when more maps unlock the time for rotation will drop. Once all 15 maps unlock I can see it either working like MK8 and they trow out the whole time limit thing. Or drop it to about 30 minutes

Citanul

Senior Squid
NNID
outforprophets
I think I would prefer a rotation every 2 or 3 hours. 2 feels about right to me now.

Since the map rotations are announced with the pop star squid sisters, I wonder how much of a consideration it is that they don't want that animation/audio sequence to get played out or become annoying. Hopefully it's not annoying either way but I could see it being a problem seeing their announcements every 30 minutes or hour.

Bottlecapn

Inkling Commander
NNID
Bottlecapn
Yeah I also think when more maps unlock the time for rotation will drop. Once all 15 maps unlock I can see it either working like MK8 and they trow out the whole time limit thing. Or drop it to about 30 minutes
30 mins is a bit low. I was thinking more like 2 hours

Lamsaturn

Inkling
If all maps were selectable by vote, then there would probably be one or two maps that everyone would choose, and it would get stale pretty fast. I liked the way that Mario Kart 8 handled it, with it being a poll of a handful of tracks: gave it variety, but not too much freedom. The system Splatoon's using makes sense to me, though, in that there are a lot fewer maps than there are Mario Kart 8 tracks. I can't think of a better solution than maybe lowering the amount of time before rotation.

Dirty Duck

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheThirdChild
I understand the concept, I'm just unsure about how well it will work out in play. If I don't like one of the maps, I don't want there to be a 50% chance I'll be playing on that one for 4 whole hours. I prefer randomised or vote like Mario Kart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom