4 Hours Between Map Switching

Geistbox

Full Squid
The decision to go with this, along with several other choices, kind of made more sense to me when considering how the devs are hoping to maintain the early game meta. Very much seems to be based on allowing the players to get accustomed to several features, be it the amount of perks you can play with, the guns that are available or even things like the game's controls. It surprised me how incredibly perk-and-gear driven that Splatoon is, almost moreso than TF2 is.

And by those standards I think that having a rotation of maps isn't a bad idea in theory because it means that most players are incentivized to actively explore how to best apply the metagame, what works best and so forth.

The only issue I have is that four hours might seem a bit... long, at least when you think about it. I'd like to hope that the more maps we get, the shorter the time will be. I could see 3 or 2 hours work for its benefit more, because as it stands it isn't only the maps that are slightly limited. We're also getting Ranked modes locked before we've spent time in the Regular ones.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
2 maps is fine, though yeah 3 maps is much better. I'm not too sure what to say about the time limit. Splatoon was going to be a pick up and play game for me. I will have it digitally downloaded so it will be very easy to switch between games. Like I'll be able to play a couple matches of splatoon, maybe switch to smash bros. Maybe play a game on my 3ds. Watch some videos on Youtube.

Maybe decrease it to 2-3 hours. I think it should be decently lengthy though. So everyone has a chance to play on a stage once the stage list gets really long.

Mrwhatzitooya

Pro Squid
I actually quite like the idea of the map rotations. While i admit 4 hours is maybe a little too long (2 hours would maybe suffice?) i certainly think it's a very good idea.

Not only does it make you want to come back at different times in the day, but it also gives each time you come on a little buzz of excitement to see which two maps you'll be going to this time!

I am actually quite looking forward to this rotation thing, but i do think that maybe 4 hours is a little too long overall. I guess it might see some adjustments in a later update.

Kairo

Pro Squid
NNID
smartmadboy
The overall concept is nice, but 4 hours?
Should be shortened down to 2 hours or so.

Doogle

Inkster Jr.
NNID
iamdoogle
Yeah it's a shame. I love the maps though and think I'll love the rest so I guess I get to know them really well and find all the best ways to tackle them. Although I could probably do that if they were all available anyway so I'm not on board with the idea yet. Plus 4 hours is just too long.

Radi

Senior Squid
NNID
InfinityBeamX
I'm not a fan of it at all. That just makes the game repetitive/boring. Nintendo should try to keep players entertained. They were able to make a good selection system in Mario Kart 8, why can't they do it here?

Nico Nico Sleep

Pro Squid
Padding for the fact that Nintendo made too early of a deadline for the developers and they only have 5 maps ready.

Cloudy

Shake Shake!
NNID
Cloud6483
Wish there was a voting system. But if they don't want to go that route I'd rather have the time shortened down to at least 2 hours

Agosta44

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Agosta
I could have lived with the fact that it was only 2 maps for 60-120 minutes, but 4 hours is ridiculous. Hopefully they patch the game later and add more maps to the rotation or reduce the time. If 2 terrible maps are paired together (which will happen) there goes a potential afternoon or evening of free time.

Reactions: rue

Chikouu

Inkling
NNID
Chikouu
Like the rotation, hate the time. I guess it makes sense right now when we have so few maps, but I really hope it gets cut down to about 2 hours once we get more.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
So after playing the demo, I can totally see myself playing the game an hour straight. So with that said, I disagree with it being an hour. If I play for an hour, then take an hour break, then I miss the new section of stages. I still think 2 or 3 is perfect,

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
They should do the selection system like mk8 imo, or at least reduce the time between rotations to like 2 hours.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
They should do the selection system like mk8 imo, or at least reduce the time between rotations to like 2 hours.
Do you mean like having each person pick a stage and then choose one randomly from the selection (haven't played MK8 online)? Thats actually a horrible idea. If there is a trick that is discovered that will make you win easier, then only that stage will ever show up is that one.

It happened with Sunset Wuhu island in MK7 until they patched that.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
Do you mean like having each person pick a stage and then choose one randomly from the selection (haven't played MK8 online)? Thats actually a horrible idea. If there is a trick that is discovered that will make you win easier, then only that stage will ever show up is that one.

It happened with Sunset Wuhu island in MK7 until they patched that.
No, the game randomly chooses three tracks per match and you vote on one of those three.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
No, the game randomly chooses three tracks per match and you vote on one of those three.
Ah, thats actually a neat system for Mario kart.

For Splatoon however, the idea of being prepared for a match is still important so I do like the idea of maps staying constant for a set amount of time.

DatGuyAegis

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Tmoney670
2 Maps for every 4 hours.
Okay, but... why? Discuss.
I questioned this too at first. But, I can see the appeal 4 hours is long but not too to long. I feel like if they switched too often we would get tired of the maps quicker. So, they found an intermediate time where its not too long on the same maps but not too quick. I would of made it 3 maybe 4 hours as well.

Lyn

Squid Savior From the Future
Premium
I questioned this too at first. But, I can see the appeal 4 hours is long but not too to long. I feel like if they switched too often we would get tired of the maps quicker. So, they found an intermediate time where its not too long on the same maps but not too quick. I would of made it 3 maybe 4 hours as well.
Honestly, 4 hours feels way too long. I've got bored of them by the end of the last testfire, I really couldn't do 2 maps for 4 hours..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom