Today's Nintendo Direct was early in the morning, but jam-packed with information on Splatoon 2, which launches on the Switch July 21st.
If you missed the Direct, check out the video on Nintendo's Youtube channel:
However, if you don't have the time, we've got a quick recap for you on all the news you might have missed. While some information and modes covered may not be entirely new, there's certainly a lot in here that's certified fresh!
If you want every single spicy detail, go ahead and watch the full Direct linked above.
- Like in the first Splatoon, Inklings can be customized how you see fit. You'll be able to alter eye color, hair style, skin tone, and more -- including all the new gear that'll be available to you this time around.
- You'll be able to purchase gear, weapons, and special items at the Inkopolis Galleria, which features stores like Shella Fresh for shoe shopping, Ammo Knights for all your arsenal needs, and Crusty Sean's for delectable treats that boost your point and in-game currency earnings in battle.
- New gear abilities arrive in Splatoon 2, and these gear abilities can be upgraded by the sear urchin Murch.
- You'll be getting all your news from two new faces -- Pearl and Marina! Just what happened to those other two girls?...
- As expected, Splatoon 2 will work with amiibos. Players can save gear and weapon setups, control settings, and gamertags to any Splatoon amiibo.
- Players can adjust the sensitivity of their controls separately for TV and Handheld modes, and you'll be able to post drawings you make in-game to social media.
- Splatoon 2 will have a companion app called SplatNet 2, which will allow players to track their stats, ranking info, and more on their mobile devices via the Nintendo Switch Online app.
- Turf War, Splat Zones, Tower Control, and Rainmaker all make their returns as multiple modes for local and online play. Splatoon 2 adds League Battle as a new way to play ranked modes, allowing friends to team up and rise up the leaderboards in specific two-hour windows.
- New weapons join the fray! Try out new main weapons like the Clash Blaster, Flingza Roller, Goo Tuber, and the Dapple Dualies; or new sub weapons like the homing device Autobomb or the sinister Toxic Mist; and of course, what would a Splatoon game be without crazy special attacks, like the all-new Tenta Missiles, Inkjet, or Sting Ray? In fact, all the special weapons in Splatoon 2 are completely new!
- Splatoon 2 will have regular content updates post-launch, bringing new weapons, gear, and maps to the game for about a year or so after it's release. The Direct showed off one of the intended post-launch weapons, the Brella, which sports some unique traits and powers unlike ever seen before!
- On the other hand, Splatfests have been planned for the next two years following Splatoon 2's release.
- The first Splatoon 2 Splatfest will be held July 15th from 3pm to 7pm, between Ice Cream and Cake. This will be run via a free demo that will be live on the eShop starting sometime this afternoon.
After you've checked it all out, leave us a comment below or in our Splatoon 2 General Discussion thread with your thoughts on today's Direct!
Squidboards now has its own Discord server!
Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 15,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 150,000 posts!
You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Splatoon community!
Splatoon 2 has released around the globe!
7/6/2017 Splatoon 2 Direct - Recap