• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

7/6/2017 Splatoon 2 Direct - Recap

What did you think of today's Splatoon 2 Direct?

• FRESH!!!

Votes: 27 73.0%
  • Loved it!

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Pretty good

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Eh...

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Could've been better!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not enough new info!

• STALE!!!

• Total voters

Today's Nintendo Direct was early in the morning, but jam-packed with information on Splatoon 2, which launches on the Switch July 21st.

If you missed the Direct, check out the video on Nintendo's Youtube channel:

However, if you don't have the time, we've got a quick recap for you on all the news you might have missed. While some information and modes covered may not be entirely new, there's certainly a lot in here that's certified fresh!

• Like in the first Splatoon, Inklings can be customized how you see fit. You'll be able to alter eye color, hair style, skin tone, and more -- including all the new gear that'll be available to you this time around.
  • You'll be able to purchase gear, weapons, and special items at the Inkopolis Galleria, which features stores like Shella Fresh for shoe shopping, Ammo Knights for all your arsenal needs, and Crusty Sean's for delectable treats that boost your point and in-game currency earnings in battle.
  • New gear abilities arrive in Splatoon 2, and these gear abilities can be upgraded by the sear urchin Murch.
  • You'll be getting all your news from two new faces -- Pearl and Marina! Just what happened to those other two girls?...
  • As expected, Splatoon 2 will work with amiibos. Players can save gear and weapon setups, control settings, and gamertags to any Splatoon amiibo.
  • Players can adjust the sensitivity of their controls separately for TV and Handheld modes, and you'll be able to post drawings you make in-game to social media.
  • Splatoon 2 will have a companion app called SplatNet 2, which will allow players to track their stats, ranking info, and more on their mobile devices via the Nintendo Switch Online app.
  • Turf War, Splat Zones, Tower Control, and Rainmaker all make their returns as multiple modes for local and online play. Splatoon 2 adds League Battle as a new way to play ranked modes, allowing friends to team up and rise up the leaderboards in specific two-hour windows.
  • New weapons join the fray! Try out new main weapons like the Clash Blaster, Flingza Roller, Goo Tuber, and the Dapple Dualies; or new sub weapons like the homing device Autobomb or the sinister Toxic Mist; and of course, what would a Splatoon game be without crazy special attacks, like the all-new Tenta Missiles, Inkjet, or Sting Ray? In fact, all the special weapons in Splatoon 2 are completely new!
  • Splatoon 2 will have regular content updates post-launch, bringing new weapons, gear, and maps to the game for about a year or so after it's release. The Direct showed off one of the intended post-launch weapons, the Brella, which sports some unique traits and powers unlike ever seen before!
  • On the other hand, Splatfests have been planned for the next two years following Splatoon 2's release.
  • The first Splatoon 2 Splatfest will be held July 15th from 3pm to 7pm, between Ice Cream and Cake. This will be run via a free demo that will be live on the eShop starting sometime this afternoon.
If you want every single spicy detail, go ahead and watch the full Direct linked above.

After you've checked it all out, leave us a comment below or in our Splatoon 2 General Discussion thread with your thoughts on today's Direct!

Last edited:
TheRapture

Comments

Dang. I hate to say it, but I really feel the shark has been jumped. The game's style and graphics looks stellar, and the animation is so smooth, but the gameplay is very troublesome. All the specials look really unbalanced compared to the original, and the weapon's mechanics look really powerful. Snipers charge when in ink...who wouldn't become a sniper main now? The Dualies dodge will make a good counter, and they look pretty powerful themself. But why even bother to use a Roller, Splattershot, N-Zap, InkBrush, or Splash-O-Matic?

Dang. I hate to say it, but I really feel the shark has been jumped. The game's style and graphics looks stellar, and the animation is so smooth, but the gameplay is very troublesome. All the specials look really unbalanced compared to the original, and the weapon's mechanics look really powerful. Snipers charge when in ink...who wouldn't become a sniper main now? The Dualies dodge will make a good counter, and they look pretty powerful themself. But why even bother to use a Roller, Splattershot, N-Zap, InkBrush, or Splash-O-Matic?
Scopes will NOT hold a charge and the chargers dont hold an INFINITE amount of time. I think its like 5 seconds

"All the specials look really unbalanced" Sorry, but are we talking about the same game that has instant-death tornado blasts, equally instant-death nuclear strikes anywhere you want, and straight-up INVINCIBILITY? All of these new specials have a higher skill ceiling, you can't just press in the stick and potentially win a match right then and there. Also, the charger mobile charge has to be charged before going into ink, is short-lived, slows the player down, and gives the player a giant SHOOT ME glowing aura. As for the dualies, you're unable to move for a moment after rolling, which can and will be death in this hyper-fast game for the unwary dualie player.

It looks cool and all, but I'm overwhelmed by all of it! I feel like I'm going to be in over my head, just as I was with the original. I also feel bad that they didn't say if they'd fixed the problems we'd been experiencing with the original game (e.g., hackers, lag, etc.). Anyway, all in all it seems cool, but I'm still a bit concerned and overwhelmed (I'll say that much). I *might* state more in the weeks/days ahead, but that remains my number one impression: overwhelmed and concerned.

There were a number of balance patches for Splatoon; expect the same for Splatoon 2. If you're worried about balance, Nintendo will definitely do their best to make it as balanced as possible.

I saw the direct yesterday and I'm now so excited for this game! I'm not sure about Pearl and Marina. I somehow don't like their character design but maybe I just have to get to know them...
What I'm really excited about is the single player mode and the story. I finally want to know what's up with Callie!
And there were so many new features I liked for online play like the inkrails, the sponges, the ability to roll after a superjump and so forth. That game will be so much fun!

The Flingza Roller and Brella look really good. Im curious as to how the Brella will function. Will it block all attacks or absorb some and give in eventually? Very excited for it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom