• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

A Complete Splatoon Weapons Tier List! (WIP)

Umbriel_Umbra

Full Squid
NNID
umbrella720
I call the inkstrike bad, but it isn't intrinsically bad, but it's bad by comparison. Kraken and Bubbler both give invincibility, which makes them both worth something. Inkzooka can one-shot and out-range everybody except E-Liters, who barely out-range it. Killer wail provides mass area-denial, which makes it extremely valuable. Bomb rush allows for extreme pressure on your opponents if it's splat bombs or sticky bombs, or just out-right killing them with burst bomb rush. Echolocater lets you get a quick ink refill, which is surprisingly valuable for guns like the .96 Gal, and tracks opponents, making landing shots and hitting bombs easier. The inkstrike? It's a well telegraphed attack that isn't even guaranteed to kill anyone, even if they're hit. It does things, but not well enough to out-class anything at all. This, by definition, makes it the worst.
... fair enough.

1o2

Inkling Cadet
If people continue giving opinions (which is what this is so far) then you'll be editing your list after every post. 1o2 for example is essentially giving empty opinions.

"No offense to Brush users, but all of them should be B-."
"Krak On roller is good, but not incredible. I'd probably put it in just neutral A rank."

See how this is problematic? How do you judge who is right when it's just thoughts like these? And who is to decide whose baseless opinions are correct?

An attempt at a splatoon weapons list is certainly a fitting title
Well there isn't much to say honestly. Brushes literally lose to anyone they aren't close to, and can't help a team get out of a camp effectively. In Rainmaker, they are definitely more useful, but in the general sense it's out classed by several better weapons. Everyone says Beacons aren't that good, but if your team is pushing and someone dies, it is significantly safer to super jump to the beacon than another person. Kraken is obviously a fantastic ability, giving you immunity and and ohko potential, and in rainmaker you can clearly make a path for the carrier. I mean they aren't baseless, I just didn't explain why they are good. Anyone who actually plays the game would be able to understand, as they've been exposed to what the weapons can do. I'm sure most players would agree that brushes are sub-par compared to other weapons.

Some weapons are definitely better than others, but I personally don't agree with a flat out weapon tier list. Only because when you get lower down the list, it's very hard to tell what weapons are better than others.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
I still think tiers are heavily depend on game modes, the (in)famous Aerospray RG is excellent in Turf War because it can ink about everything in the blink of an eye and fire off inkstrikes to get even more turf. They can't fight out of a paper bag though, i rarely see one do successfully in ranked unlike it's MG variant(And that one is heavily outclassed by the Tentatek). Other weapons like blasters are better in ranked, they are really good at splatting but do a horrible job at inking ground.

Umbriel_Umbra

Full Squid
NNID
umbrella720
I still think tiers are heavily depend on game modes, the (in)famous Aerospray RG is excellent in Turf War because it can ink about everything in the blink of an eye and fire off inkstrikes to get even more turf. They can't fight out of a paper bag though, i rarely see one do successfully in ranked unlike it's MG variant(And that one is heavily outclassed by the Tentatek). Other weapons like blasters are better in ranked, they are really good at splatting but do a horrible job at inking ground.
This is why I am on the edge about making tier lists for every single game mode... should I really? I mean, I could. And I'd be more then glad to just edit this post for it. Or create a new thread, *shrugs* , it's just kind of troublesome, but it may be worth a shot.

EnderRift

Inkling
NNID
EnderRift
I see that you put the Aerospray RG in B-, good choice. But you forgot to remove it from B+.

Umbriel_Umbra

Full Squid
NNID
umbrella720
Hmmm... to everyone and anyone who has either commented on this thread or is currently watching it; should I devote some time to making tiers for each of the seperate game modes? I think that we can ALL agree that one definite tier list is pretty hard to get spot on and accurate because many different weapons have many different uses between each modes, and I would be more then glad to either create a new thread with the 4 tier lists, or simply edit this one...

Reply to this thread letting me know what you think I should do! I am thinking that I should do it, so I'll start making the tier lists in prep :3

EnderRift

Inkling
NNID
EnderRift
Hmmm... to everyone and anyone who has either commented on this thread or is currently watching it; should I devote some time to making tiers for each of the seperate game modes? I think that we can ALL agree that one definite tier list is pretty hard to get spot on and accurate because many different weapons have many different uses between each modes, and I would be more then glad to either create a new thread with the 4 tier lists, or simply edit this one...

Reply to this thread letting me know what you think I should do! I am thinking that I should do it, so I'll start making the tier lists in prep :3
Hey, man, sounds good to me. I feel like part of the difficulty of tier lists is that people don't understand the point of them. They aren't there to tell you what to use, but rather there to tell people what's good. This community doesn't get that. I've noticed this on GameFAQs in particular, everyone seems to be of the mindset that anything and everything is good. And there everyone wants to cram their opinion down your throat, but that's just GameFAQs for you. Go ahead and make the lists, hell, I'll even help with a few of them, just remember that's there's always a more efficient way.

Umbriel_Umbra

Full Squid
NNID
umbrella720
Hey, man, sounds good to me. I feel like part of the difficulty of tier lists is that people don't understand the point of them. They aren't there to tell you what to use, but rather there to tell people what's good. This community doesn't get that. I've noticed this on GameFAQs in particular, everyone seems to be of the mindset that anything and everything is good. And there everyone wants to cram their opinion down your throat, but that's just GameFAQs for you. Go ahead and make the lists, hell, I'll even help with a few of them, just remember that's there's always a more efficient way.
Thank you! Finally, somebody who gets the point =D And I'd be more then glad to have help from you on these tier lists! Tonight I'll start doing rough drafts on the lists, and sometime later I'll edit this thread with them...

Umbriel_Umbra

Full Squid
NNID
umbrella720
Hey- I've begun the rough drafts for the tier lists, although the most certainty I had with them were the weapons in S, A+, A and A- Rank for each of the other game modes (i.e. the Blaster weapons in TC), and what I did was I sorta just copied the last tier list I had made and modified it for the next game mode's tier list. Should I just post what I have already and have you help me out with editing what should go where in the lower tiers? I can work on it a bit more towards the B+ rank so it has some sort of foundation, but for now I am only certain of what is going in the A- Rank and up.

EnderRift

Inkling
NNID
EnderRift
Hey- I've begun the rough drafts for the tier lists, although the most certainty I had with them were the weapons in S, A+, A and A- Rank for each of the other game modes (i.e. the Blaster weapons in TC), and what I did was I sorta just copied the last tier list I had made and modified it for the next game mode's tier list. Should I just post what I have already and have you help me out with editing what should go where in the lower tiers? I can work on it a bit more towards the B+ rank so it has some sort of foundation, but for now I am only certain of what is going in the A- Rank and up.
Sounds good, man.

Floati

Inkster Jr.
The vanilla Inkbrush is actually pretty great at dealing with a spawn locks imo. Being fast and able to ink territory quickly makes them the ultimate blockade runner. Sprinklers are pretty good pressure tools to get space for yourself and the team in those situations (I think their the most versatile sub). Also, Inkbrushes can run decoy roles that are often over looked- time spent chasing an Inkbrusher means less time after the objective. And I've lead many squids (often two at a time) on a merry chase (and its not uncommon that I splat at least one by the end of it) ;) They're also pretty great at getting to enemy snipers and setting up spawn camps of your own.

What I'm trying to say is it's hard to quantify the usefulness of a given weapon based only on "splat power" which tends to get the focus.

Umbriel_Umbra

Full Squid
NNID
umbrella720
The vanilla Inkbrush is actually pretty great at dealing with a spawn locks imo. Being fast and able to ink territory quickly makes them the ultimate blockade runner. Sprinklers are pretty good pressure tools to get space for yourself and the team in those situations (I think their the most versatile sub). Also, Inkbrushes can run decoy roles that are often over looked- time spent chasing an Inkbrusher means less time after the objective. And I've lead many squids (often two at a time) on a merry chase (and its not uncommon that I splat at least one by the end of it) ;) They're also pretty great at getting to enemy snipers and setting up spawn camps of your own.

What I'm trying to say is it's hard to quantify the usefulness of a given weapon based only on "splat power" which tends to get the focus.
I am not quite sure what game mode this is geared towards, but if you read a couple replies from the bottom up, I am currently in the process of putting up 4 more tier lists for each of the game modes, and will be then modifying the final overall tier list based on those 4. For Turf Wars, I shall definitely be bumping the Inkbrush up as it provides some of the best utility in the game mode! I totally agree with you :)

Umbriel_Umbra

Full Squid
NNID
umbrella720
Sounds good, man.
The Turf Wars tier list is up! I'll make a couple more edits to it, but you can begin to look over it and make some revisions :D Note- I WILL be bumping up the Inkbrushes in this list because, as Floati perfectly puts it, it provides fantastic support.

Oh, and as Aleia said- make sure to:

...break long thoughts like that into smaller bites with some spacing. :>
Edit: I have put up all of the tier lists except for Rain Maker, but for you (EnderRift) and all others who come across this thread:

>>>ONLY GIVE SUGGESTIONS FOR THE TURF WARS TIER LIST<<<
I would like to start with editing the Turf Wars Tier List, and once we get that roughly accurate, we will go down from there. I don't want like 10 different people or something giving me suggestions for all of the 5 tier lists at once xD That would be hectic and unorderly...

Last edited:

EnderRift

Inkling
NNID
EnderRift
Just checked out the Turf War tier list, and I noticed the sploosh at the bottom of the list again. Do you just hate this gun? It clearly isn't outclassed by the Duel Sqeulcher, as that would require them to be even remotely similar. Duel Sqeulcher is meant to out-range other guns, not out-gun. It's fire rate is awful, it's damage can be pushed to a 5 shot, and it's outranged by the marginally better Jet Sqeulcher. And, hypothetically, let's say I wanted to shame the duel squelcher just a little bit more. If I wanted to do that, I could bring up the Splattershot Pro, which boasts the same range, better damage and only slightly worse fire rate.

Now that I'm done shaming that worthless gun, I can get back to the sploosh. The sploosh has both a higher fire rate and higher damage than the duel squelcher, leaving the only higher stat as range. That's not even hard to do, it has a worse range than the aerosprays. It's range is pitiful, and just because of that, it's outclassed? I hate how people underrate this gun. It's not bad by any means, and I would probably say that it's the best weapon for flanking, and it keeps a great inking potential as well. Horribly biased rant is over.

Umbriel_Umbra

Full Squid
NNID
umbrella720
Just checked out the Turf War tier list, and I noticed the sploosh at the bottom of the list again. Do you just hate this gun? It clearly isn't outclassed by the Duel Sqeulcher, as that would require them to be even remotely similar. Duel Sqeulcher is meant to out-range other guns, not out-gun. It's fire rate is awful, it's damage can be pushed to a 5 shot, and it's outranged by the marginally better Jet Sqeulcher. And, hypothetically, let's say I wanted to shame the duel squelcher just a little bit more. If I wanted to do that, I could bring up the Splattershot Pro, which boasts the same range, better damage and only slightly worse fire rate.

Now that I'm done shaming that worthless gun, I can get back to the sploosh. The sploosh has both a higher fire rate and higher damage than the duel squelcher, leaving the only higher stat as range. That's not even hard to do, it has a worse range than the aerosprays. It's range is pitiful, and just because of that, it's outclassed? I hate how people underrate this gun. It's not bad by any means, and I would probably say that it's the best weapon for flanking, and it keeps a great inking potential as well. Horribly biased rant is over.
Hahaha, I'm sorry I'll have to bump it up a few ranks... Any thoughts on anything else in that tier list? xD xD xD

Edit: Wow. I totally thought that the Dual Squelcher had all better stats... I have no Idea how I saw that! (I re-compared the two weapons, so you're kinda right for the most part o_O)

Last edited:

Floati

Inkster Jr.
I prob should've quoted 1o2 in my last post since it was basically a response to his opinion..

Anyhow, Turf:
I can agree with the weapons I'm most familiar with (my trusty vanilla brush, the splatling, and the tentatek). Can't claim to be any expert with anything else, but I also agree with the splash-o-matic and the slosher. I do believe the octobrush and splattershot jr. could go up one slot to A-, however that is a personal opinion that I think others should weigh in on. I'd switch the luna blaster for the range blaster for the.... significantly better range and the sub (I'd have to say wall is much better than mines in most situations, not to diss mines as they can be useful). I've played quite a bit of the range blaster and it can work well in support (similar to snipers support role as a backman)/ guarding territory, walls to support teammates, and it can get around the map surprisingly fast via splatterdashing*

Btw
You've got sploosh on there twice right now ;)

Hope you can get the game yourself bud!

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Now this is looking like something! Here's my two cents...

-The custom E-Liter isn't that bad, though. While the vanilla one outshines it, it can still place beakons to let allies quickly regroup and use Kraken to ward off ambushes. Not brilliant, but it's good for the few people who can't afford a damage-up build just yet to make use of the burst bombs.
-The Sploosh needs to stay all the way at the bottom, FOREVER
-While rapid blaster is way better at tower control due to it's ability to splat at uphill angles, it's not exactly S tier material just yet.
-Likewise, Luna Blaster is great and not just at Tower Control, too. I've seen a lot of players be really great with it.
-I'd consider Kelp Charger to be (slightly) better than the regular splat charger. Sprinkler lets it ink up turf simultaneously and Wail can be activated from a safe distance while Bomb Rush needs to be up close. It's slightly outclassed by the raw splatting power of the E-Liter, but the Kelp is way better at turfing. I'd also consider scopes to be better than the regular chargers since they have more range with the only tradeoff of it being less mobile (and slightly disorienting up close).

Zero Emission

Inkster Jr.
Tentatek Octoshot is A+ rank at best. Rapid Blaster is not S Rank in Tower. Luna Blaster is at least A rank, if not higher.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom