A couple of complaints. Some new, some returning.

techton

Senior Squid
Greetings,
After playing Splatoon 2 on and off for about a month, I can say that it's a decently solid game. Crisp button controls, even better graphics and art styles, and the flexibility you have access to on your gear.

There are, however, some new complaints, as well as some returning ones from the first Splatoon game. So, here you go!
(DISCLAIMER: Most of these complaints are opinionated, so there are very few facts that I have.)

NEW COMPLAINTS
Unstable/Wonky Motion Controls- I don't know if others have had issues with the motion controls. They just seem unstable. Like, it's so easy to slightly tilt your controller and mess up the in-game camera. After trying countless positions for the dock, endlessly researching the issue, leaving my joycons plugged in for a while, I finally found something that will work for the time being. That being, my grip of the controller. Strange as it may seem, I never had this issue with the Wii U playing Splatoon.

---
EDIT: New Complaint
XP/Coin/Drink tickets being consumed upon losing unfairly- This ties in with the match-quitters. It just leaves a rotten taste in my mouth knowing that my ticket is being used even when me and my 2 other teammates trying our best got crushed. It's annoying especially in Ranked where you get very minimal amounts of experience and coins. My suggestion is to just leave the ticket unaffected or temporarily disabled when your team is entirely missing a player or more during a match.
---

RETURNING COMPLAINTS
Rollers, and how they're still a bit too powerful combat-wise- I've always had a serious and strong disliking toward rollers of all type. They're annoying in almost every way. I've always thought to myself, "If you can't beat it, be it." but rollers are just so boring to play. The biggest issue I've had with taking out rollers is their new mid-air flick, and how it one-shot splats anybody within it's decently long range. I don't want to say they're, ya know, overrrrr... um, powered... Rather, just a bit too strong. Some players using rollers kill me entirely by accident, by them turning around at the right time with their roller active, or just by randomly flick-spamming right where I just so happen to be swimming.

Level imbalances between teams & overall matchmaking- Not as annoying and devastating as the next one I'll go on to, but still pretty big. Doesn't it just blow when the opposing team is packed with level 40+ players, while one of your team's player has the highest level of 15? Some level balancing mechanic needs to be put in place, because I'm often losing, not because me or my teammates are bad, but because the higher-level, opposing team is enormously more skilled than us.

Quitters/DC'ers- Okay. Alright. This IS my biggest complaint out of any complaint I've ever complained about. AFC (Away From Controller) players and disconnecters are way too common. I see them every 2/3 games I play, even in rank play. The most devastating of all, losing a teammate and being outnumbered, leaving the opposing team to take back their turf and camp at your base the whole game. My win-rate is around 20% based on my recordings and it would be substantially higher if this were to be lesser of an issue. I don't know what there is to do that will help reduce the intensity of this issue, but there has to be something. It's honestly unfair and immensely infuriating.

That's all I can remember at the top of my head.

EDIT: Yes, I dislike rollers of all type, but I don't think all of them are overpowered. I've mainly been having trouble with countering the splat rollers. I mean, there's at least one in almost every match, so I would've thought by now that I would've developed a hard counter.

Last edited:

Goont

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PrankingMaster
Well, here's the thing with motion controls. Splatoon was built from the ground-up for the Wii U. It's conception in 2013-14 was from a time where Nintendo was heavily experimenting with Wii U controls styles, so it's a given that a sequel for a new console with a new controller isn't going to replicate the same experience. That said, I quite like Splatoon 2's controls, they feel nice. The best replacement I can recommend for the Gamepad is Handheld mode, as it sort of feels like a gamepad. The regular Joy-con grip is also nice as it's lightweight and has quick smooth mobility. I haven't used the Pro Controller or charge-able grip, I assume they have some more weight to them, which is either a positive or negative, depends on what you prefer. The only option I see flawed is the seperated Joy-cons, it's fun but aiming with just the right controller is a bit of a nightmare. Especially if you main chargers.

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
Well, here's the thing with motion controls. Splatoon was built from the ground-up for the Wii U. It's conception in 2013-14 was from a time where Nintendo was heavily experimenting with Wii U controls styles, so it's a given that a sequel for a new console with a new controller isn't going to replicate the same experience. That said, I quite like Splatoon 2's controls, they feel nice. The best replacement I can recommend for the Gamepad is Handheld mode, as it sort of feels like a gamepad. The regular Joy-con grip is also nice as it's lightweight and has quick smooth mobility. I haven't used the Pro Controller or charge-able grip, I assume they have some more weight to them, which is either a positive or negative, depends on what you prefer. The only option I see flawed is the seperated Joy-cons, it's fun but aiming with just the right controller is a bit of a nightmare. Especially if you main chargers.
Personally I think the motion controls are fine for the most part, except for the occasional drift where you gotta put down your controller for a second and it readjusts. And more personal opinion I don't think any method of play is better than the rest (although you could argue the pro controller is better compared to the joycon grip or handheld). I would assume most returning splatoon players use the pro controller or the joycon grip, but having never played the Wii U I can't stand handheld or joycon grip and I would imagine sucking with the pro controller. So, I play with separated joycons, and if I'm not using a TV I take the controllers out of the game pad screen and prop up the switch so I can play separated. But it doesn't matter how you play. Maybe some methods bring about more motion controls trouble than others but I play very well with separated joycons. I completely rest the left one in my lap and sort of rest the right one on my lap. To have the best results with steady gameplay you need an anchor so I usually have my wrist or hand on my lap but still movable. I use chargers blasters and shooters mostl.

ANYWAYS, the only problems I experience with motion controls is occasional drifting, and sometimes they just go complete wack on me in the middle of the match lagging and doing random crap for 3 seconds. However, I know the problem for the latter is when there's significant blockage between the switch and the controller, so sometimes if I'm sitting in my chair tilted back with legs on the table (I can enjoy myself and still play fine. I don't sit like this that often), then usually the switch is too far on the desk and my leg is in the way so I just move the switch a little closer or put down my legs or whatever.

Last edited:

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
Ok yep they're all fairly legit complaints (I have never experienced problems with the motion controls but I know that others have so fair enough) EXCEPT the one about rollers.

Rollers were severely nerfed from Splatoon to Splatoon 2. What was once one of the best aggressive/broken (I'm looking at you, Dynamo) weapons in the game became this useless stick that you just kind of flailed around and hoped for the best. At the start of Splatoon 2's life Sorapol (played for Team Chimera, not sure what he's up to now) said that he considered rollers as difficult to use as chargers.

Yeah.

So if you think rollers are broken, you just need to get better at this game.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
Ok yep they're all fairly legit complaints (I have never experienced problems with the motion controls but I know that others have so fair enough) EXCEPT the one about rollers.

Rollers were severely nerfed from Splatoon to Splatoon 2. What was once one of the best aggressive/broken (I'm looking at you, Dynamo) weapons in the game became this useless stick that you just kind of flailed around and hoped for the best. At the start of Splatoon 2's life Sorapol (played for Team Chimera, not sure what he's up to now) said that he considered rollers as difficult to use as chargers.

Yeah.

So if you think rollers are broken, you just need to get better at this game.
I think he meant the normal Splat Roller and not the Dynamo or Carbon (they suck). The Normal Roller Seems to be able to run around at the speed of sound while being able to OHKO any one who opposes, and now with the vertical flick, they can kill snipers too. Just because Sorapol, one person, said that rollers are hard to use doesn't mean that they are bad. I'm not attacking Sorapol, but just referencing one person isn't that helpful.

There are many times were Rollers kill me with the vertical flick even though it shouldn't be possible (i.e. that little platform in Manta Maria). With a kit of Curling Bomb to get into the action and Splashdown to kill everyone close to you, I can see why techton thinks they're OP.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
D/C's and the matchmaking are common complaints, and unfortunately so far Nintendo hasn't really given out a fix for the latter problem yet. People who D/C do get a 5-min ban,so at least there's that.

Rollers aren't broken, they are perfectly alright in this game and they also weren't dominating in the first game. They are only dominating if you played the game for less than 5 hours.

Squidilicious

Inkster Jr.
Welcome to Splatoon 2

IMHO rollers aren't OP even the splat roller (although it's clearly the best). You just need more play time.

I personally haven't had any issues with motion controls using the pro controller. I never played Splatoon 1 but I'm now S/S+ in Splatoon 2 and I swear by motion control on the pro troller. I don't experience drift. I would recommend using the pro troller.

Lastly I hear you about the frustration of DCs but remember that they occur approximately evenly to your team or the opposing team.... This means that the effect of DCs on your win rate should be negligible over the course of many games. Sometimes you get stomped and sometimes you stomp... Both are annoying and this problem should be fixed but doing so won't change your win rate. Also thankfully ranked won't count losses where you had an early DC.

It sounds to me like you just need to play more.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
I think he meant the normal Splat Roller and not the Dynamo or Carbon (they suck). The Normal Roller Seems to be able to run around at the speed of sound while being able to OHKO any one who opposes, and now with the vertical flick, they can kill snipers too. Just because Sorapol, one person, said that rollers are hard to use doesn't mean that they are bad. I'm not attacking Sorapol, but just referencing one person isn't that helpful.

There are many times were Rollers kill me with the vertical flick even though it shouldn't be possible (i.e. that little platform in Manta Maria). With a kit of Curling Bomb to get into the action and Splashdown to kill everyone close to you, I can see why techton thinks they're OP.
Hmmmm.

Nope, sorry, I still disagree with you.

Yes, the Splat Roller is by no means a bad weapon, but it takes a lot of skill to play (like most aggro weapons). Decision-making speeds and reflexes need to be seriously on point if you have any chance of doing well with this weapon.

Yes, referencing one person isn't the best thing to do, but when that one person just happens to be one of the best (imo the best) roller players in the world, it carries a lot of weight.

Also the vertical flick definitely doesn't have more range than it should. The only time they can kill you at the tip of their flick is if you've already sustained damage, so just keep your distance and you'll be fine.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
Hmmmm.

Nope, sorry, I still disagree with you.

Yes, the Splat Roller is by no means a bad weapon, but it takes a lot of skill to play (like most aggro weapons). Decision-making speeds and reflexes need to be seriously on point if you have any chance of doing well with this weapon.

Yes, referencing one person isn't the best thing to do, but when that one person just happens to be one of the best (imo the best) roller players in the world, it carries a lot of weight.

Also the vertical flick definitely doesn't have more range than it should. The only time they can kill you at the tip of their flick is if you've already sustained damage, so just keep your distance and you'll be fine.
Ahem, the vertical flick can reach about 4 lines in the testing range, which is almost equal to the Splattershot Pro. This means that it beats most of the guns in the range department. In addition, when using the horizontal flick, it only loses 1 line, and 3 lines is the same range as basically all the guns (i.e. .52, Splattershot, etc.). Plus, people can stack ninja squid and swim speed up in order to misguide players with curling bombs and kill them, or just use them to push forward. Finally, even if it gets caught, with the low special gauge of 170p, it can easily just use splashdown (which is hard to kill). Although you can avoid it, he or she would just throw curling bombs and ride on of them to secure the splat.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Ahem, the vertical flick can reach about 4 lines in the testing range, which is almost equal to the Splattershot Pro. This means that it beats most of the guns in the range department. In addition, when using the horizontal flick, it only loses 1 line, and 3 lines is the same range as basically all the guns (i.e. .52, Splattershot, etc.). Plus, people can stack ninja squid and swim speed up in order to misguide players with curling bombs and kill them, or just use them to push forward. Finally, even if it gets caught, with the low special gauge of 170p, it can easily just use splashdown (which is hard to kill). Although you can avoid it, he or she would just throw curling bombs and ride on of them to secure the splat.
No, while splat roller can reach 4 lines with it's vertical flick, it's damage output is a measly 40. This means it needs roughly 3 vertical flicks, which require a jump to execute, and then you're quickly looking at a ttk that means that whatever is shooting at can easily retaliate. The pro can probably even splat the roller before it can get it's first flick in.

In order to make the vertical flick lethal, you need to fire it around 1.5 lines, which for the record is slightly ahead of the range of a Sploosh. Same story with the horizontal, you also need to be roughly 1.5 lines in front of your target to splat them.

J'Wiz

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JWiz
Admittedly Rollers can be frustrating. Sometimes it'll feel like I'm taking forever shooting at them, then they just instantly pop me. Sometimes I'll "misjudge" my TTK and shoot at one when doing a vertical flick, but apparently it's not enough to kill it and die in return. Not sure if it's lag, bad aim, or a combination of both.

For the most part, they just take some getting used to. Dodging then shooting and keeping a decent distance SHOULD be enough.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
The only time they can kill you with a splashdown is if you're close to them (or if you've sustained damage)

Why are you fighting a melee weapon up close?

Yes, they can sneak around, but being aware counters that strategy most of the time.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
The only time they can kill you with a splashdown is if you're close to them (or if you've sustained damage)

Why are you fighting a melee weapon up close?

Yes, they can sneak around, but being aware counters that strategy most of the time.
Well, when one uses a Splashdown, the minimum damage it can do (according to my tests; feel free to prove me wrong) is 55. Combining this with the 40+ damage vertical flick deals 95 damage, in which standing in ink basically kills the inkling.

Also, even if the vertical flick can only OHKO within 1.5 lines, don't forget that the 1.5 lines can be vertical as well.

Besides, look at the meta right now. Tri-sloshers, Splattershots, Splat Dualies, N-Zap 85 and 89, Rollers have enough range to basically kill all the meta weapons.

Last edited:

Hero of Lime

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Link643
Switch Friend Code
SW-5339-5185-8796.
The DC issue has been particularly bad in this game, seemingly having gotten worse recently given how many I am constantly seeing these days.

One big issue I theorize is that the Switch is not as reliable in terms of being an online console with just wifi. Speaking personally, I have pretty good internet. I played a ton of Splatoon 1 with very few DCs in the game. While they happened in general, they were fairly uncommon in the first game in general compared to Splatoon 2. About a month into Splatoon 2's life, I started DCing a lot, so much so I had to get a wired connection because the game was starting to get near unplayable with the looming threat of DCs ruining my rank and ruining other people's fun with the game. Fortunately since going wired I've DC'd only a few times, usually due to my LAN adapter forgetting to work for a moment. Unfortunately, I imagine lots of players are still using wifi, and either don't care to get a wired connection, or can't due to their situation.

The roller complaint is interesting, because I agree Splat Rollers are a scary threat in this game at the moment. Splashdown even after so many other specials have gotten nerfed, remains mainly untouched. Ninja Squid being more reliable in this game allows for more sharking, and the rollers themselves got buffed to help make them better. Early on in this game, the Splat roller was pretty bad. Since you got the game about a month ago, you missed the time it was pretty much useless on the competitive front.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
Well, when one uses a Splashdown, the minimum damage it can do (according to my tests; feel free to prove me wrong) is 55. Combining this with the 40+ damage vertical flick deals 95 damage, in which standing in ink basically kills the inkling.

Also, even if the vertical flick can only OHKO within 1.5 lines, don't forget that the 1.5 lines can be vertical as well.

Besides, look at the meta right now. Tri-sloshers, Splattershots, Splat Dualies, N-Zap 85 and 89, Rollers have enough range to basically kill all the meta weapons.
That's quite a lot of things that have to happen for the inkling to die.

Yes, rollers have the range to kill (apparently), but what they don't have is the ttk. Things like the Splattershot will shut it down before it gets remotely close enough to be a threat.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
That's quite a lot of things that have to happen for the inkling to die.

Yes, rollers have the range to kill (apparently), but what they don't have is the ttk. Things like the Splattershot will shut it down before it gets remotely close enough to be a threat.
ttk? Seriously? They can OHKO multiple weapons at a range of 1.5 - 2 lines, which coincidentally, is the the killing range of the Splattershot.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
ttk? Seriously? They can OHKO multiple weapons at a range of 1.5 - 2 lines, which coincidentally, is the the killing range of the Splattershot.
So first of all what do you mean 'multiple weapons'? Last time I checked what weapon you're using doesn't affect how long your inkling takes to die.

Ttk means 'time to kill' not 'range to kill'. I don't have the exact number of frames for every weapon, but the Splattershot is so good because it has a good ttk (and a bunch of other stuff as well). The roller does not.

pmaced91

Inkling
Switch Friend Code
SW-5451-6481-0531
D/C's and the matchmaking are common complaints, and unfortunately so far Nintendo hasn't really given out a fix for the latter problem yet. People who D/C do get a 5-min ban,so at least there's that.

Rollers aren't broken, they are perfectly alright in this game and they also weren't dominating in the first game. They are only dominating if you played the game for less than 5 hours.
Agreed. Though the flick can splat me sometimes, no, rollers are not OP. Honestly, it’s extremely easy to splat a player who is only ok with a rolller, even a player who is good with one. I’m terrible with rollers and have never once felt powerful while using one, haha. Usually I just walk backwards and shoot when a roller is coming; the only time this fails is when I have a very short range weapon, like the splooshomatic.

zzmorg82

Pro Squid
NNID
zzmorg82
Switch Friend Code
SW-2476-2506-3411
I think the rollers are fine; they can be a bit annoying when you put some shots onto them and if they just touch you once, you're splatted. That's just more on aiming than anything else though.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
So first of all what do you mean 'multiple weapons'? Last time I checked what weapon you're using doesn't affect how long your inkling takes to die.

Ttk means 'time to kill' not 'range to kill'. I don't have the exact number of frames for every weapon, but the Splattershot is so good because it has a good ttk (and a bunch of other stuff as well). The roller does not.
Brellas are the answer to the first question.

Also, here is the link for all the weapon data:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WnSDbSja9lar_VHZ89r_ix2mFk1KYsony2k71xtZDBc/edit#gid=0

The ttk for the Splattershot is 16 frames. The Splat Roller's ttk is 23 frames. Having a difference of 7 frames isn't going to make a difference in a fire fight, the worst it can give is a trade. In addition, it is true that in a fair fight that the Splattershot (or any gun similar to it) would win against a Splat Roller.

However, in Splatoon, no fight is fair. Ink on the ground can literally change the fate of an entire battle. The Splat Roller can ink small patches of turf quicker than the Splattershot with the Curling Bomb, which means that the roller can escape and shark or sneak around the opponent for an instant splat.

Also it we're basing this off of ttk then Tenta Brella has a ttk of 14. 2 less than the Splattershot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom