A couple of complaints. Some new, some returning.

Dark Sage Walker

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-8295-5505-1414
I'm not up to pace with tournaments, can you give me an all-splattershot team?

Now, I'm not trying to "redeem myself" or win the argument, but the pre-nerf tri-slosher was on a whole entire level above OP. It's like using a Master Ball on a Pokemon, but capturing the Pokemon is splatting it.
Pre-nerf Tri-Slosher was legitimately broken. It wasn't just that it was popular. This weapon had a little thing I like to call "invisible range." This means that the range it appeared to have was actually wrong. In this case, it was a longer range than what you could see. This made it have roughly equal overall range to a Dynamo Roller without the lessened damage of it being at the weapon's very edge of its attack range. Furthermore, the damage output was so high that it was still a 2HKO even on falloff damage. Now factor in the Burst Bomb sub and the very general purpose Ink Armor and you have a weapon that has no equal. It was a lot like Brawl Meta Knight. It had its own tier ranking which was there basically to say, "You go sit in that corner over there so we don't have to look at you."

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
Pre-nerf Tri-Slosher was legitimately broken. It wasn't just that it was popular. This weapon had a little thing I like to call "invisible range." This means that the range it appeared to have was actually wrong. In this case, it was a longer range than what you could see. This made it have roughly equal overall range to a Dynamo Roller without the lessened damage of it being at the weapon's very edge of its attack range. Furthermore, the damage output was so high that it was still a 2HKO even on falloff damage. Now factor in the Burst Bomb sub and the very general purpose Ink Armor and you have a weapon that has no equal. It was a lot like Brawl Meta Knight. It had its own tier ranking which was there basically to say, "You go sit in that corner over there so we don't have to look at you."
Exactly, you put my thoughts into words :). I think that when I say "OP" people think "Pre-nerf Tri-Slosher," and I kinda just realized that now :/.

The only thing that tri-Slosher should be used for is this:
upload_2018-1-22_19-44-51.png

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
I'm not up to pace with tournaments, can you give me an all-splattershot team?

Now, I'm not trying to "redeem myself" or win the argument, but the pre-nerf tri-slosher was on a whole entire level above OP. It's like using a Master Ball on a Pokemon, but capturing the Pokemon is splatting it.

What I mean by OP is that it's popular, which you said, and that the weapon is nearly un-counterable by the current meta-weapons. To me, the meta weapons are a bunch of dualies, splattershots, rollers, brushes, and Aerospray MG in TW. All of those weapons except some of the dualies have a splatting range of 2.5 - 2 lines.

I retesting the splatting range of the roller, and yes, it does not splat at 2 lines, and it does splat at 1.5 lines. What I recently found was that if you take about 2 steps forward from 2 lines, the roller does 98 damage with the vertical flick, and at that point the ink will basically splat them.

After some time thinking, I realized that the statement above doesn't apply anymore since metas change over patches and updates. At the start of Splatoon 2's life, tri-sloshers killed everything, so rollers, being a medium to close range weapon, of course it would be bad. But now, it can basically kill almost any close - medium range [besides brella] weapon is comes across.

Also, I'm still talking about the Splat Roller. Just saying that so you don't use Dynamo Buffs against me :].
Oh my gosh are you done yet?

The roller hasn't had any suuuuuuper significant buffs that mix up the way it's played (that I'm aware of), which means the skill floor is still pretty much the same.

You realise that a range of 1.5 lines with a slow-ish ttk isn't op, right?

Also the roller right now is not a meta weapon as far as I'm aware.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
Oh my gosh are you done yet?

The roller hasn't had any suuuuuuper significant buffs that mix up the way it's played (that I'm aware of), which means the skill floor is still pretty much the same.

You realise that a range of 1.5 lines with a slow-ish ttk isn't op, right?

Also the roller right now is not a meta weapon as far as I'm aware.
No, I am very tenacious with my arguments.

What I meant by 'changing meta' is that OTHER weapons got the boot (i.e Tri-Slosher, Baller) that could really counter the roller, so now they are starting the make a comeback.

The general accepted range of rtk for the Splat Roller is 1.5 lines. I was busy last week, but I had time to test that if you take like 2 steps from the 2 line mark (1.9 lines if you must), then it does a max of 98 damage and a min of around 96.8. With around 3.8 - 2 health remaining, the opposing splattershot/oppenent is almost guaranteed dead. In addition, the roller can jump to the side when flicking their stick, so the opposing weapon would not have time to react between the 33 frames it takes to splat with a vertical flick.

I only really watched this guy because I'm subscribed to him for funny stuff, but the match at 5:35 had like 5 rollers. There is also at least one other roller [besides JayMoji] in the match.

Also, if being meta is by how popular a weapon is over all game modes, then the SSP and Sploosh need to be on the list since they are also very popular.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
No, I am very tenacious with my arguments.

What I meant by 'changing meta' is that OTHER weapons got the boot (i.e Tri-Slosher, Baller) that could really counter the roller, so now they are starting the make a comeback.

The general accepted range of rtk for the Splat Roller is 1.5 lines. I was busy last week, but I had time to test that if you take like 2 steps from the 2 line mark (1.9 lines if you must), then it does a max of 98 damage and a min of around 96.8. With around 3.8 - 2 health remaining, the opposing splattershot/oppenent is almost guaranteed dead. In addition, the roller can jump to the side when flicking their stick, so the opposing weapon would not have time to react between the 33 frames it takes to splat with a vertical flick.

I only really watched this guy because I'm subscribed to him for funny stuff, but the match at 5:35 had like 5 rollers. There is also at least one other roller [besides JayMoji] in the match.

Also, if being meta is by how popular a weapon is over all game modes, then the SSP and Sploosh need to be on the list since they are also very popular.
Dude.

The Tri-Slosher countered EVERYTHING.

Just because meta weapons got nerfed doesn't mean the roller is OP - that's quite the impressive jump in logic.

Yes, you have less time to react if a skillful roller player surprises you. But you still have even less time to react to a .52 Gal for example because the ttk is that good, and at a higher range as well.

Popularity is a fair indicator of how meta a weapon is (for example the Pro is a pretty good weapon), but there are also weapons that are just popular for some reason (they're fun I guess?)

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
Dude.

The Tri-Slosher countered EVERYTHING.

Just because meta weapons got nerfed doesn't mean the roller is OP - that's quite the impressive jump in logic.

Yes, you have less time to react if a skillful roller player surprises you. But you still have even less time to react to a .52 Gal for example because the ttk is that good, and at a higher range as well.

Popularity is a fair indicator of how meta a weapon is (for example the Pro is a pretty good weapon), but there are also weapons that are just popular for some reason (they're fun I guess?)

When tri-slosher not nerfed, noobs (or pro-players I guess) go to a different, easy-to-use weapon which was the baller. Then the baller got nerfed in 1.4.0, so the players went to the next weapon, which wasn't really anything. However, in the meta, roller was really easy to pick up and use with a high-skill floor, and since it didn't get nerfed in 2.2, here we are now.

(Patch notes here: http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27028/~/how-to-update-splatoon-2)

Yeah, .52 gal has faster ttk and range, but with the cost of slower fire rate and low accuracy. Also, the roller can shark on a wall so that you don't notice them.

Is that why Goofy Goobers are meta?

Also, should we move this to a separate thread? I feel guilty for setting off these people's notifications all the time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom