A couple of complaints. Some new, some returning.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
Ok fair enough about the brellas.

Everything else, though

Oh boy.

Yes, 7 frames is actually a fairly significant number (about 1/10 of a second), and the ttk of other weapons like the .52 Gal is even quicker.

The roller does not have a fast ttk.

Also the Splattershot's ttk isn't the only thing that makes it good (hence I wrote 'and a bunch of other stuff as well'), such as its kit.

"The Splat Roller can ink small patches of turf quicker than the Splattershot"

(I couldn't be bothered to go through the entire post just to quote the part I needed)

Bruh.

Ok, they have the same special, so we'll ignore that for now.

Burst bombs are waaaaaaay better (imo) in a firefight than curling bombs. They output a fairly decent amount of damage and can be used to maneuver around your opponent etc.

In answer to your last point are you one of those people who thinks the Tenta Brella is broken?

Yes, it has a quick ttk but the OHKO is incredibly hard to land in a firefight.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
Ok fair enough about the brellas.

Everything else, though

Oh boy.

Yes, 7 frames is actually a fairly significant number (about 1/10 of a second), and the ttk of other weapons like the .52 Gal is even quicker.

The roller does not have a fast ttk.

Also the Splattershot's ttk isn't the only thing that makes it good (hence I wrote 'and a bunch of other stuff as well'), such as its kit.

"The Splat Roller can ink small patches of turf quicker than the Splattershot"

(I couldn't be bothered to go through the entire post just to quote the part I needed)

Bruh.

Ok, they have the same special, so we'll ignore that for now.

Burst bombs are waaaaaaay better (imo) in a firefight than curling bombs. They output a fairly decent amount of damage and can be used to maneuver around your opponent etc.

In answer to your last point are you one of those people who thinks the Tenta Brella is broken?

Yes, it has a quick ttk but the OHKO is incredibly hard to land in a firefight.

The roller has a splat time of 23 frames, I really can't see how that's not good enough. Is it because the guns have a splat time of ≤23 frames?

Burst Bombs may seem good for damage and such, but maneuvering? Any squid with half-a-brain can see someone using burst bombs to move! Curling Bombs are more subtle, and if used right (or with Ninja Squid), then it's hard to tell if there's someone un the bomb's trail or not.
Also, yes, I mained the Tenta Brella before the Undercover Brella's release. It was really good for Clam Blitz in B. Just OHKO the Octobrushes....

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326

The roller has a splat time of 23 frames, I really can't see how that's not good enough. Is it because the guns have a splat time of ≤23 frames?

Burst Bombs may seem good for damage and such, but maneuvering? Any squid with half-a-brain can see someone using burst bombs to move! Curling Bombs are more subtle, and if used right (or with Ninja Squid), then it's hard to tell if there's someone un the bomb's trail or not.
Also, this Splatoon 2 Data (http://leanny.github.io/splat2/en_files.html) says that the roller's range (48) is larger than most weapons, and the Splattershot has 50. I'm preeetty sure that 2 less range isn't making that much of a difference unless it's a death match.
Also, yes, I mained the Tenta Brella before the Undercover Brella's release. It was really good for Clam Blitz in B. Just OHKO the Octobrushes....

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet

Yes, that is exactly why the roller's ttk is bad - most (if not all) of the meta weapons have either the ttk or the range to beat it.

When I was talking about maneuvering, I meant in a firefight. They're incredibly versatile for inking walls, dealing damage to your opponent, also burst cancelling, etc.

You should always shoot at a curling bomb trail of you can. There's no reason not to.

Also saying the Tenta Brella is a good weapon and then saying you tested it in B rank is kinda giving me conflicting messages here.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
Yes, that is exactly why the roller's ttk is bad - most (if not all) of the meta weapons have either the ttk or the range to beat it.

When I was talking about maneuvering, I meant in a firefight. They're incredibly versatile for inking walls, dealing damage to your opponent, also burst cancelling, etc.

You should always shoot at a curling bomb trail of you can. There's no reason not to.

Also saying the Tenta Brella is a good weapon and then saying you tested it in B rank is kinda giving me conflicting messages here.
Inking Walls in a fire fight is kindaaaa useless because basically any weapon (except Sploosh I guess) can just ink the top of the wall and splat the escaper.

Burst Cancelling is good, but then again the Roller could just turn around and ride a curling bomb.

I was B rank at the time in Clam Blitz, ok? I also play the other three modes in S+ with it and it helped me rank up.

Also I found out what Sorapol is up to. He's a roller main. Here's one of his videos:

EDIT: The kill at 10:09 is basically the reason why the roller needs to go to be burned by Lucifer.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
That guy screwed up at 10:09. He was standing way too close that allowed the Roller to dunk him, turning a situation that should've been a secure kill for the splattershot into a trade.

If the rollers were actually hardcore broken, they'd be stacking teams with them like pre-patch Tri. But that does not happen, because the roller is a pretty balanced weapon right now.

Also who names their clan serial killers lmao

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
Inking Walls in a fire fight is kindaaaa useless because basically any weapon (except Sploosh I guess) can just ink the top of the wall and splat the escaper.

Burst Cancelling is good, but then again the Roller could just turn around and ride a curling bomb.

I was B rank at the time in Clam Blitz, ok? I also play the other three modes in S+ with it and it helped me rank up.

Also I found out what Sorapol is up to. He's a roller main. Here's one of his videos:

EDIT: The kill at 10:09 is basically the reason why the roller needs to go to be burned by Lucifer.
Although it's situational, inking walls can be a huge help in a firefight, not to escape, but because it gives you superior mobility. Although the Splattershot doesn't really need this because the main weapon is so gosh darn good, inking walls with burst bombs on the Grim Range (sorry if I have the wrong weapon, my S1 knowledge is fading) was huge.

Burst cancelling is not 'good', it's AMAZING, especially on the Tri Slosher for example.

You said something about rollers being able to ride away using curling bombs. The only reason they'd want to do this is if they're hopelessly outmatched, something that happens all too often.

@Elecmaw has already said everything that needed to be said about that video.

Thanks mate

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
That guy screwed up at 10:09. He was standing way too close that allowed the Roller to dunk him, turning a situation that should've been a secure kill for the splattershot into a trade.

If the rollers were actually hardcore broken, they'd be stacking teams with them like pre-patch Tri. But that does not happen, because the roller is a pretty balanced weapon right now.

Also who names their clan serial killers lmao
How would the Splattershot have gotten the kill? If he moved back, then the shots would hit the floor of the block he's standing on and the Roller could just use a vertical-flick. In addition, Sorapol used a Horizontal Flick there, which shouldn't be able to even reach the Splattershot there.

If weapons are shown to be broken by being full teams of them, then does that mean nothing is broken? You won't go around having full teams of Splattershots and Sting Rays.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
How would the Splattershot have gotten the kill? If he moved back, then the shots would hit the floor of the block he's standing on and the Roller could just use a vertical-flick. In addition, Sorapol used a Horizontal Flick there, which shouldn't be able to even reach the Splattershot there.

If weapons are shown to be broken by being full teams of them, then does that mean nothing is broken? You won't go around having full teams of Splattershots and Sting Rays.
Roller horizontal flicks DO extend upwards, and the splattershot could have easily killed or scared off Sorapol even with falloff damage since he was already a little damaged.

And your second statement is a bit of a fallacy. People DO field all-splattershot teams from time to time, and while unconventional it DOES work. Fact of the matter is, when Tri-Slosher was outright broken you'd see teams of 3 Tri-Sloshers and a Rapid Blaster because that beat pretty much every other comp. People who try that with rollers are putting themselves at a disadvantage.

Reading the thread, you've said a lot about the splat roller's range. However, you've only talked about the weapon's painting range, not it's killing range. Having tested this, the kill range on both flicks for the Splat Roller are about 1.5 bars on the firing range. Every shooter except the Sploosh-o-matic and the Aerospray can hit the dummy from 2 bars away. That step of extra distance combined with faster ttks by 5-10 frames means that yes, shooters can and WILL win fights with the roller if the roller hasn't positioned themselves correctly. Lag and the tickrate can make things odd at times, but that goes for every weapon in this game at one point or another.

You're free to dislike the weapon, but if it were actually broken league stats, tournament results, and tests like the ones I just performed would agree with you. They do not. It's a good weapon and very popular but claiming it's better than that is something a lot of people are going to disagree with, as you've already seen here.

Last edited:

techton

Senior Squid
Heads up, another minor complaint, this time about how tickets are consumed when an imbalanced battle takes place.

Rollers are, as of now, the least of the complaints on this thread.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
I feel you bro
I agree. It should be like Ranked when you lose a player at the start of the match, where it doesn't rank you down depending on when the person DC'd.

techton

Senior Squid
I agree. It should be like Ranked when you lose a player at the start of the match, where it doesn't rank you down depending on when the person DC'd.
Yeah. I just want to make it to where losing a player is least devastating. Absolutely nothing lost, except for a single game, and 3-5 minutes of time.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
Since we are complaining, why can i swim under the RM? thats all i got.
That shouldn’t be happening. Please explain or record the situation.

The Salamander King

NNID
sintiss0421
Switch Friend Code
SW-3785-4018-5310
Yeah. I just want to make it to where losing a player is least devastating. Absolutely nothing lost, except for a single game, and 3-5 minutes of time.
That's exactly how it works right now

Mar$el

Inkling Commander
That's exactly how it works right now
Well this only applies if it's the beginning half of ranked in turf your freshness meter still gets affected. Honestly getting a disconnect should only affect you if it's like the last 2 seconds of a match because so much happens in 30 seconds of ranked and turf with a disconnect. It's pretty unfair and especially with so many people DCing it gets real annoying...

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
Maybe its a lag spike, happened more times than i would like to admit
It would be lag if you teleported back to before you swam, the Rainmaker teleported to somewhere else, or everyone else disconnected before you disconnected.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
Roller horizontal flicks DO extend upwards, and the splattershot could have easily killed or scared off Sorapol even with falloff damage since he was already a little damaged.

And your second statement is a bit of a fallacy. People DO field all-splattershot teams from time to time, and while unconventional it DOES work. Fact of the matter is, when Tri-Slosher was outright broken you'd see teams of 3 Tri-Sloshers and a Rapid Blaster because that beat pretty much every other comp. People who try that with rollers are putting themselves at a disadvantage.

Reading the thread, you've said a lot about the splat roller's range. However, you've only talked about the weapon's painting range, not it's killing range. Having tested this, the kill range on both flicks for the Splat Roller are about 1.5 bars on the firing range. Every shooter except the Sploosh-o-matic and the Aerospray can hit the dummy from 2 bars away. That step of extra distance combined with faster ttks by 5-10 frames means that yes, shooters can and WILL win fights with the roller if the roller hasn't positioned themselves correctly. Lag and the tickrate can make things odd at times, but that goes for every weapon in this game at one point or another.

You're free to dislike the weapon, but if it were actually broken league stats, tournament results, and tests like the ones I just performed would agree with you. They do not. It's a good weapon and very popular but claiming it's better than that is something a lot of people are going to disagree with, as you've already seen here.
I'm not up to pace with tournaments, can you give me an all-splattershot team?

Now, I'm not trying to "redeem myself" or win the argument, but the pre-nerf tri-slosher was on a whole entire level above OP. It's like using a Master Ball on a Pokemon, but capturing the Pokemon is splatting it.

What I mean by OP is that it's popular, which you said, and that the weapon is nearly un-counterable by the current meta-weapons. To me, the meta weapons are a bunch of dualies, splattershots, rollers, brushes, and Aerospray MG in TW. All of those weapons except some of the dualies have a splatting range of 2.5 - 2 lines.

I retesting the splatting range of the roller, and yes, it does not splat at 2 lines, and it does splat at 1.5 lines. What I recently found was that if you take about 2 steps forward from 2 lines, the roller does 98 damage with the vertical flick, and at that point the ink will basically splat them.

At the start of Splatoon 2's life Sorapol (played for Team Chimera, not sure what he's up to now) said that he considered rollers as difficult to use as chargers.
After some time thinking, I realized that the statement above doesn't apply anymore since metas change over patches and updates. At the start of Splatoon 2's life, tri-sloshers killed everything, so rollers, being a medium to close range weapon, of course it would be bad. But now, it can basically kill almost any close - medium range [besides brella] weapon is comes across.

Also, I'm still talking about the Splat Roller. Just saying that so you don't use Dynamo Buffs against me :].

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom