• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

a lot of specials are weak right now, how should they be buffed or reworked?

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet
ok so basically every special needs a buff, but i am interested to hear how you think your favorite needs reworking or buffing

i would say zip but all it needs is a lot longer duration and a bit more damage to be fine, and i want to make this interesting so i will talk about kraken!

this is a bit more of a rework, but kraken right now is only good for kraken cheese, which needs to be completely removed. besides that the tradeoff with kraken is you remove a player that can paint, throw bombs, and attack at a range for a big kraken that essentially puts your team into a 3 v 4 and you have to get s a multikill every time you pop it. they should make the jump attack deal 100 damage, the charge attack goes much farther, and sdd back being able to squid roll out of the charge attack. since that is a lot, also make it much easier to push back kraken while it isn’t charging or in a charge attack. the amount that kraken gets pushed back could possibly scale with object damage multiplier, because then the slower weapons like charger can still push it. that also means it has even even easier to push while it is on tower too.

so, why does kraken deserve this rework? well, it makes it a lot better at splatting, but it’s not too easy because it has easier counter play than before. also it removes kraken cheese so we can finally play clam blitz again!

cipsbsndj

Semi-Pro Squid
Pronouns
he/they
Switch Friend Code
SW-0937-9859-6660
I think Reefslider needs less endlag after special, so it’d be easier for Reef weapons follow up on the 70 damage. I think if that were to happen, then the paint would need to be toned back, but I feel like less zones cheese would be a worth it for a special that synergizes better with the weapons it’s on.

squid-lesbian

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
she/her
Switch Friend Code
SW-7740-0630-6914
the thing is if every special needs a buff, it might be easier to nerf the few that don't. Specials not being as strong as in the previous game was a deliberate decision, so I don't think that will change.

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet
the thing is if every special needs a buff, it might be easier to nerf the few that don't. Specials not being as strong as in the previous game was a deliberate decision, so I don't think that will change.
yeah it would be easier but that would be very lame and lazy. the specials that are good are not broken, besides cooler but that’s different. and specials like zipcaster, ultra stamp, chumps, bubble, wave breaker, ink vac, screen, reefslider and even kraken (besides clams cheese) are not worth using sometimes and when you do they dont get much done most of the time. so if the stronger specials got nerfed to be similar power to the rest of them, what is the point of having specials in the game at all? it is an exaggeration to say that they are always not worth using, but a lot of the time you might be better off if you just continue using your main and sub weapon, and if every special was like that it would kinda suck. so yeah its easier to nerf the strong options, but thats lame and is the lazy way out

Terret

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-5277-2851-4605
In terms of every special, I feel like the standard of a good special is constantly getting higher and higher. I feel like I’m terms of what I’d change, I’d make light tone backs on Crab and jet, Rework Zooka to decrease its output and STUPID startup, remove special saver on cooler, and honestly make the pick line a little lower. I know many need buffs like Chumps, TSD, Screen if it gets fixed, Slider, and Wave but I feel like Zip and Rain are the most fair and healthy specials in the game right now. Some are fine balance but should be adjusted to be healthier or cooler like Vac, missiles, bubble and strikes. I have a list of patch notes I want for the game if you want me to be more specific.

Cact

Inkling
Pronouns
He/Him They/Them
Switch Friend Code
SW-3901-0936-7109
I think a great quality of life buff for inkvac would be if you could fire the shot at any time by pressing R. It would make you a lot less of a sitting duck while using it since you're not stuck sucking and can actually threaten opponents getting close. It would open up options like sucking a tristrike or reefslider (which don't completely fill the vac) and immediately firing afterwards and in general would make already good parts about the special a lot less committal while keeping everything the same.

Azure ST

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-2076-3733-1036
Dunno if these are good ideas, but I spat out an assortment of changes for the Splattercolor Screen in my head a few days ago:
* Visual/audial effects are toned down to become more of a visual indicator than an impairment.
* The Splattercolor Screen is translucent when it belongs to your team.
* Traveling through an enemy Splattercolor Screen applies an effect similar to the Disruptor from Splatoon 1.
* Bullets passing through an enemy's Splattercolor Screen have their velocity reduced by 25%.

MintyMisc

Mint Chocto
Premium
Pronouns
She/They
Make ultra stamp block fully from the front. Just this would make it SO much better.
Remove the rails from reefslider that shows where it’s going, at least from the enemy’s perspective.

OnePotWonder

Inkling Commander
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-2068-8904-6306
I have some rework ideas.

I'd rework Reefslider's targeting rails to be physical objects that trap opponents, giving the special immediate impact.
I'd make it so your team can see through the opaque parts of Splattercolor Screen. It's a fairly obvious buff.
I'd Rework Super Chumps so they explode when broken by an enemy, and break when their duration runs out.

Lastly and most notably, I'd combine the Ink Vac's suction and firing modes so the special can fire its shot whenever by releasing the suction button (cancel with Swim Form). I'd also have the special continue suction after it it gets filled, but if it fills beyond capacity, it will explode on the spot.

AdphæeXD

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
They/Them
Switch Friend Code
SW-0440-1499-8900
Dunno if these are good ideas, but I spat out an assortment of changes for the Splattercolor Screen in my head a few days ago:
* Visual/audial effects are toned down to become more of a visual indicator than an impairment.
* Traveling through an enemy Splattercolor Screen applies an effect similar to the Disruptor from Splatoon 1.
* Bullets passing through an enemy's Splattercolor Screen have their velocity reduced by 25%.
I like a lot of these, but I would say instead of making it translucent, it should just be a little shorter. Backlines often play off high ground and this would make it so frontlines can't see the people they are shooting at while backlines still have affect over a battle without being undodgeable.

chaotik0

Inkling Cadet
slowing down enemy bullets is actually a really cool idea, and it goes in line with the special being something that hasn’t been seen before in splatoon (without the part where the devs dont know what playtesting is)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom