• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

After the 2.7.0 update what trends have you started to notice?

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
Now that the update is one week old and a lot of people have gotten their fill with the new weapons and going back to their old weapons. Even with that it seems like some people really liked the Wasabi Splattershot, Berry Splattershot Pro, and the Fresh Squiffer. The Tempered Dynamo Roller, Pernament Inkbrush, Soda Slosher, and Bamboozler Mk III has gotten some love and unsurprisingly the Refurbished Mini Splatling hasn't seen much use lately. Also I have noticed people using the Splatterscope more than the E-Liter 3K and mainly one of the reaons is that a fully charged Splatterscope user can outrange the E-Liter 3K when not fully charged. Special Saver seeing more used which shouldn't be that shocking and one last thing is that the . 96 Gals have been trying to use Damge Up to counter Defense Up to make sure they will retain the 2HKO instead of the questionable 3HKO.

Of course that's only from my playing time session. How about you guys?

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
Haven't done a lot in a week but a few things my sight focused on:
  • Splattershot Pros making an appearance among regularly used weapons (I use to go weeks without seeing one in ranked mode)
  • Multiple Berry Spattershot Pros = almost simultaneous Suction Bomb Rush = Lag O' DoOom
  • Inkbrushes showing up more often in my ranked matches (Permanent Inkbrushes mind you, and sometimes more than one. o_0)
  • Sloshers users toting the Soda Slosher
  • Not just sloshers, but members of slosher class overall being a tad more aggressive
  • More squiffers and bamboolzers roaming the field
  • Less shots heard from splat chargers and e-liters when they're on the field (Still no less dangerous.)
  • Touch more weapon diversity in both regular and ranked matches
  • Seekers used more often on some maps (Feels like half the time it's a Tempered Dynamo user)
  • Not as many matchups with multiple Gal-series users on either team

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
This just in: Most Bamboozler users still can't use the Bamboozler properly.

Frequently on teams with Bamboozlers who get 2/7, 3/9, 1/6, and I even witnessed an appalling 0/8 KD last night. GET A CLUE AND PICK SOMETHING ELSE

I'm fine I'm totally fine

Claus

Full Squid
NNID
Bluevisionist
I've noticed that I really wish that the old E-Litre was back. As an E-Litre main since Day 2-3 I feel that the range reduction is really sucky, and I play defensively so Splatterscopes and other snipers out-ranging me doesn't bother me unless it really matters. My main problem is not being able to support my team as well as I used to because I just can't tap the enemy before five seconds after they've gone around a corner.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
There's been a rise in Squiffers in both Turf War and Ranked. I've noticed that people are beginning to use the Squiffer quite a lot more often. It's usually the Fresh Squiffer or the Bubble one (can't remember if that's New or Classic). The Permanent Inkbrush has been on the rise but from my experience, it's just people playing around in squads. Most Inkbrushes I see during squads get very low K/D rates and are usually the least helpful people. :P I hardly ever see them in solo Ranked. They're definitely more of a squad thing for S/S+ ranks at least.

The Custom E-Liter has been on a sharp rise too. I've had way more Custom E-Liters on my team than regular E-Liters these days. :)

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
I don't use the e-liters much, but I have felt some difference with my splat chargers. Like when I pushed to doing a partial to rescue someone or getting the rushdown, my shot feels kinda impotent. I guess that's the "deadzone" others are referring too?

I also feel I must make sure my shots are fully charged to count. Thus I have to not only hang back more but also be more patient with my targets. =/

Frequently on teams with Bamboozlers who get 2/7, 3/9, 1/6, and I even witnessed an appalling 0/8 KD last night. GET A CLUE AND PICK SOMETHING ELSE

*rocks back & forth in corner, hugging bamboozler while repeating, "I am a bamboozling bamboozler aimbot. I am a bamboozling bamboozler aimbot. I am a bamboozling bamboozler aimbot..."

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242

Nothing wrong with people practicing with a weapon and trying to get good at it. Sure it goes at the cost of your rank points, but it's not a bad trade off for more weapon diversity. The bamboozlers for the longest time was regarded as the worst weapon in the game and barely anyone used it. But as albino has shown it's an exceptionally powerful and deadly weapon. Even in my own experience i've seen how amazing this weapon is. It's a difficult (if not the most difficult) weapon to use, but it's pay off is well worth the grueling practice. Maybe the players you mentioned either just started using it or were not at their best.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
Nothing wrong with people practicing with a weapon and trying to get good at it. Sure it goes at the cost of your rank points, but it's not a bad trade off for more weapon diversity. The bamboozlers for the longest time was regarded as the worst weapon in the game and barely anyone used it. But as albino has shown it's an exceptionally powerful and deadly weapon. Even in my own experience i've seen how amazing this weapon is. It's a difficult (if not the most difficult) weapon to use, but it's pay off is well worth the grueling practice. Maybe the players you mentioned either just started using it or were not at their best.
Why not practice on an alt and not drag down S Rank players in a weapon you clearly arent S material when using? If you're getting 0/8 you likely didn't have much of a chance at improving with said weapon anyway. Starting out, you need wiggle room to get the feel for a weapon and S Rank matches really aren't suitable for that. The exception was when the new weapons dropped, of course that can't really be helped. But I certainly prefer playing in B Rank rooms when trying out new stuff, because I don't expect myself to play at the level I play with my main...

I don't disagree with the fact that Bamboozlers likely have the highest learning curve of all the weapons though. I know the thing has potential. Never knocked the weapon itself!

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
I have to agree with that. I want to see the person who did well on his first attempt to use an unorthodox weapon. Nobody is going to become a decent player with a weapon if they don't get to practice with it, and practice involves in some cases even massive failures like a 1/12 K/D ratio.

I understand experimenting shouldn't be done within ranked mode at the cost of your team, but someone trying to learn to be better at using a weapon should still not be discouraged.

Spiderface

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Spiderface1992
It is good for weapon diversity and I don't think anyone would argue that it's a completely useless weapon but it is incredibly frustrating when you're working on your rank and you have someone on your team who consistently drags you down.

And for me it just happens more often with bamboozlers. Don't get me wrong, I've seen some absolutely incredible ones.

It's not just that fair in solo ranked when you use a weapon you're not at all good enough for the rank your in with. When I want to practice with weapons I know I'm not good with, I use my alt, cause I feel bad when I drag my team down.

I don't care about my rank too much these days when I squad but it's still really frustrating.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
I have to agree with that. I want to see the person who did well on his first attempt to use an unorthodox weapon. Nobody is going to become a decent player with a weapon if they don't get to practice with it, and practice involves in some cases even massive failures like a 1/12 K/D ratio.

I understand experimenting shouldn't be done within ranked mode at the cost of your team, but someone trying to learn to be better at using a weapon should still not be discouraged.
Why in the world would you construe my argument as discouraging people from diversifying their weapon pool? Of course that's a good thing. Practice in a squad, practice in a lower rank, practice in a Turf War. In Solo Queue at S Rank level you are expected to be proficient with the weapon you go in with, because your inexperience has greater consequences not only for yourself but for others. I don't see how that is defensible with plenty other less catastrophic alternatives. Anyway, Bamboozlers are cool.

Cyan

Inkling Commander

No-one's a god at any weapon when it first comes out, and if people are experimenting with other weapons, well why shouldn't they? More weapon diversity is always a good thing, as matches become more exciting and unique, since different strats appear as a result. Reminder that K/Ds mean absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things, as there are many ways of contributing to a team. I have terrible K/Ds from time to time when I'm trying to push the Tower or the Rainmaker, doesn't mean I suck at the weapon I'm using though.

This. How else are people going to get good at weapons without practice? Take the H-3 Nozzlenose for example, it may seem like a bad weapon due to its stats and shot type, but in the hands of someone who took the time to learn it, it can be a very potent weapon that does really well. The same goes for a lot of weapons, I respect players a lot more for trying other weapons and getting good at them rather than going Tentatek, .96 Deco, Luna Neo or Bubbler/Kraken weapons (unless its a weapon that takes a lot of time to learn and has that special). As of this update, I finally have a Slosher I can use and feel comfortable with, I always enjoyed the style that Sloshers bring, and the Soda gives the better version a more viable set, since it has a great sub and special combo to achieve maximum efficiency. The Tri just has a tad too little range, and the Zimi does the vanilla's set better, making it harder to play well with, and the Nouveau just doesn't have a fitting sub/special for the weapon.

As for what I've spotted with 2.7.0, Tentateks are running around with the same build as before, .96's are running Damage and some run Special Saver, but essentially a lot has stayed the same. The Custom Hydra may be a bit more popular now, I can't really tell, and the weapons I see a lot in Ranked from Sheldon's Picks are the Berry, Permanent and Fresh Squiffer. The Wasabi pops up from time to time too, but those 3 are the most common with the Tempered popping up quite a bit too. The Soda Slosher coming into play this update was great, because I now have a weapon I can quite comfortably main. I will still be learning the Neo Splash, as I love it, and the buffs are nice, and this will be my main gun, alongside Wasabi and Custom Jet.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
Why in the world would you construe my argument as discouraging people from diversifying their weapon pool? Of course that's a good thing. Practice in a squad, practice in a lower rank, practice in a Turf War. In Solo Queue at S Rank level you are expected to be proficient with the weapon you go in with, because your inexperience has greater consequences not only for yourself but for others. I don't see how that is defensible with plenty other less catastrophic alternatives. Anyway, Bamboozlers are cool.
"Get a clue and pick something else" sounds to me like "Stop using this weapon. You suck with it.". That's pretty discouraging. It's true in most cases, but it sounds like it has the expectation of them to be either good with it or not. What should be said is "Stop being a **** and don't experiment on the cost of your team." Though I suppose if you're exclusively refering to experimenting with weapons within ranked mode where dragging your team down has consequences for everybody, that's a different story.

birdiebee

Inkling Commander
NNID
birdiebee
"Get a clue and pick something else" sounds to me like "Stop using this weapon. You suck with it.". That's pretty discouraging. It's true in most cases, but it sounds like it has the expectation of them to be either good with it or not. What should be said is "Stop being a **** and don't experiment on the cost of your team." Though I suppose if you're exclusively refering to experimenting with weapons within ranked mode where dragging your team down has consequences for everybody, that's a different story.
Precisely... I just expect S Rank team mates to BE S Rank team mates. I don't know a single player of any game that only mains one thing exclusively, and it'd be awfully boring if they did. But all games, Splatoon included, have ways of practicing that don't carry heavy consequences when points are involved, especially for other people. There's simply no excuse.

No-one's a god at any weapon when it first comes out, and if people are experimenting with other weapons, well why shouldn't they? More weapon diversity is always a good thing, as matches become more exciting and unique, since different strats appear as a result. Reminder that K/Ds mean absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things, as there are many ways of contributing to a team. I have terrible K/Ds from time to time when I'm trying to push the Tower or the Rainmaker, doesn't mean I suck at the weapon I'm using though.
I could give you a play-by-play of this match and why said 0/8 Bamboozler contributed zero things, but I don't feel like typing it and I doubt you'd be interested in reading it. I know K/Ds aren't that important, but it varies case by case. I've had low KDs where I contributed at pivotal moments in the match and succeeded (I'm a devoted Tower rider, this is my thing). I've also had low K/Ds where I was pummeled for 5 minutes straight. And I'm sure you have too... so. Anyway, I've stated my case and this has derailed quite a bit

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
@birdiebee @Spiderface
Ok you guys do have a point. It's usually better to train with squads since if you're an S rank, it doesn't change if you win or lose in squads. I would say train in turf war, but in my experience i've done so much better with the bamboo in ranked instead of TW. I'm not a fan of making an entirely different account for practice tbh. Also
GET A CLUE AND PICK SOMETHING ELSE
Kinda the reason i made the reply in the first place. You probably weren't being serious, but it still didn't really sit well with me how you said it.

Last edited:

Floating Eyeball

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Stanley618
I think the Carbon Roller Deco's getting picked up a bit more with the Seeker Buff. Before, I never saw it at all in S-ranks, but I've actually been coming up against a good number of them lately.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
Defintily see more seekers. Also quite a bit of wasabi.

Ive noticed my distaste of eliters have shifted to hydras.

CM2

Inkling Cadet
NNID
chenmaster2
I think the Carbon Roller Deco's getting picked up a bit more with the Seeker Buff. Before, I never saw it at all in S-ranks, but I've actually been coming up against a good number of them lately.
I saw one sneaky Carbon Roller Deco that just went on a rampage on our team and got 20 kills by constantly seeker surfing into our territory and splat us from behind. That seeker buff really did do it justice.

Shun_one

Pro Squid
NNID
not_shun_one
Things I've noticed:

- Less Chargers in general
- More Splat Pro series out in the field
- More Brushes in the field
- Wasabi appears about as often as Tentatek/Octoshot
- Bamboozler and Squiffer appear more

Stuff that's the same

- H3 never appears

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
I'm surprised people are seeing more Bamboozlers. I saw them on the first two days of the release of Sheldon's pick, and no trace of them ever since. You would think you would at least see them in Squads where the S ranked players can't lose points anyway, but I didn't even see anyone using them there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom