After the 2.7.0 update what trends have you started to notice?

Cuttleshock

Inkling Commander
I saw something today that I'm sure was inspired by the update: a :wst_shot_long01: running heavy :ability_runspeed: to boost its already 50%-buffed strafe. I like to see that new strategy on a lesser-used weapon, and the player definitely had the best game of both teams (S TC on Ancho-V), winding up about 16-5.

Otherwise, Hydras have very much skyrocketed in usage and, sure enough, as some Hydra users here have mentioned, they're terrifying. I don't think it's much of an exaggeration to call them the new E-Litres. This troubles me because... using a Slosher or SM, I am in the wonderful position of being able to attack Charger users from underneath their perch if I can sneak up. Hydras, however, are so much more slippery, and I never cease to underestimate their ability to take me out if I rush them before they're fully charged.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
Yep, I started calling Hydra the New Eliter pages ago... :)

Which of course means i now play it less even though it's better :P

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Can relate. Theres been pretty much no one using jet squelchers after the even after if it got buffed a lot. Like you said, makes us more special. ;)
Well it also got nerfed via Burst Bombs, but yeah you'd think people would atleast try it out, however they've been as rare as ever for me to see aswell.

Cyan

Inkling Commander
I've seen a noticeable decrease in .96 Deco usage now. When the update came out, it was still pretty popular, but it seems the damage output decrease and the Heavy special loss has scared a lot of people off. Only the competitive scene will continue to use it as they adapt their builds for it, but a lot of people seem to have jumped ship for weapons that have easy to access Kraken's (it annoys me how much people rely on Bubbler and Kraken, especially the panic button ones).

The Sheldon's Picks fad has worn off almost entirely too now, only Berry and Wasabi pop up now, and not as much they did when the update hit. On the other hand, the Neo Splash has shot up in popularity now, thanks to the buffs it received. It almost seems as if the Neo Splash is replacing the Tentatek as the new meta gun with Inkzooka. Personally I'm conflicted on this, whilst it's nice to see more, I don't like the fact people are jumping on the bandwagon because it got buffed. I appreciated it a long time before this update, and saw the potential within it, and the buff makes it more viable now.

I'm already on the way for my build, with 2 of 3 pieces ready, just waiting on ordering shiny Cyan Trainers here to finish it off. Overall, the game feels so much better now, way less snipers (bar the dedicated ones who are great at it), less Burst Bomb spam (has been buffed for skill, nerfed for panic), less Tentateks, less .96 Decos and less annoying special spam. Matches feel more fluid and skillful now, rather than being sniped repeatedly, Inkzooka'd repeatedly, or being cheated out of splats by Kraken/Bubbler spam before you get the last hit needed. Really looking forward to Volume 2 of Sheldon's picks too, hopefully I can get 2 or 3 additional weapons to learn and main.

Award

I've seen a noticeable decrease in .96 Deco usage now. When the update came out, it was still pretty popular, but it seems the damage output decrease and the Heavy special loss has scared a lot of people off. Only the competitive scene will continue to use it as they adapt their builds for it, but a lot of people seem to have jumped ship for weapons that have easy to access Kraken's (it annoys me how much people rely on Bubbler and Kraken, especially the panic button ones).

The Sheldon's Picks fad has worn off almost entirely too now, only Berry and Wasabi pop up now, and not as much they did when the update hit. On the other hand, the Neo Splash has shot up in popularity now, thanks to the buffs it received. It almost seems as if the Neo Splash is replacing the Tentatek as the new meta gun with Inkzooka. Personally I'm conflicted on this, whilst it's nice to see more, I don't like the fact people are jumping on the bandwagon because it got buffed. I appreciated it a long time before this update, and saw the potential within it, and the buff makes it more viable now.

I'm already on the way for my build, with 2 of 3 pieces ready, just waiting on ordering shiny Cyan Trainers here to finish it off. Overall, the game feels so much better now, way less snipers (bar the dedicated ones who are great at it), less Burst Bomb spam (has been buffed for skill, nerfed for panic), less Tentateks, less .96 Decos and less annoying special spam. Matches feel more fluid and skillful now, rather than being sniped repeatedly, Inkzooka'd repeatedly, or being cheated out of splats by Kraken/Bubbler spam before you get the last hit needed. Really looking forward to Volume 2 of Sheldon's picks too, hopefully I can get 2 or 3 additional weapons to learn and main.
I must be really weird. I still play eliter (switched to vanilla tho), added bambi (all 3) and squiffer (fresh), and the new burst bombs are my absolute most favorite sub in the game now, or tied with splash wall. I can't believe I really love the new burst bombs but I do - I miss them when I don't have them. They're just so useful! I've rebuilt my whole kit around burst bombs now - vanilla eliter, bambi mk3 (though mk1 is still my fav, the mk3 is great for zones). yesterday I even tried out splash-o-matic with the bombs for the first time in ages! I

The only "meta" I've done is splash-o-matic. it was one of my first mains back in the day, but the short range made it fall out of favor, and I hate midrange shooters. But I got so frustrated with losing streaks I just wanted to grab a midrange shooter to test so I picked it. Plus it has my burst bombs ;)

Shun_one

Pro Squid
NNID
not_shun_one
Reporting back in:

See more Neo Splash
I see fewer Captain Squid Girls (You know what they are)
Chargers are still fewer in between. E Litre's run more interesting builds instead of Damage Up
Wasabi and Berry Pro are the Sheldon's Pick survivors
See less 96 Deco
More Splat Pros in general has held true
Nozzlnose = What stage is that?

Leronne

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Leronne
Switch Friend Code
SW-2169-0003-5242
WVW69jJkGhEVXluvF-.jpg

I saw this weird set today in ranked. Not sure what he was going for with this set, or if he was just trying to level up his gear. It was really funny seeing him kraken 'cus of how slow it is now.

Shun_one

Pro Squid
NNID
not_shun_one
View attachment 3102

I saw this weird set today in ranked. Not sure what he was going for with this set, or if he was just trying to level up his gear. It was really funny seeing him kraken 'cus of how slow it is now.
I've seen another E Litre running Ninja Squid too. It helps with running away because you swim so dang slow that dodging bullets is very improbable. He probably just wanted the Beacons so he could get back in the fight faster and was treating Kraken as a "Well, I guess I can try this". At least, that's what my gameplay was.

Award

I've been running a lot of bomb sniffer lately due to all the bombs added in in these patches. I get hit by bombs left and right most of the time, I've forsaken ink resistance except for H3 and gone full-time bomb sniffer (except for speed builds on splash-o, sploosh-o)

Floating Eyeball

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Stanley618
I feel like I'm still seeing
and
, even more so than
, but none of the lesser used ones anymore.

Ansible

Community Ambassador
Seeing less and less of the Permanent Inkbrush and Bamboozler MK III while the others are still around. Surprisingly there is still a Squiffer presence.

View attachment 3102

I want a Rainmaker private battle with all Ninja Squid wearing E-liters and Hydras!

"The rainmaker! Someone stop that squid, theyre... trying to swim away..."

TheChillyGuy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
ToadAli
Things I have noticed:

The pros getting recognized more.
96s are stacking more special saver and damage up.
Rollers aren't as common ( might just be me)
Lot more squiffers and splat chargers being used.
More weapon diversity.
Also a lot more nozzlenoses??

Last edited:

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
Splash-o-Matics. They are literally everywhere now. :confused: I was doing a squad with a friend earlier and we had a match where there were six Splash-o-Matics. :P There has definitely been a rise in both variants - particularly in the Neo variant. It's definitely become a lot more popular with the buffs that the Splash received. Particularly so for Splat Zones.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
Chargers are far less common, more and more E-Liter mains are going for the Splatterscope instead. Hydra isn't very common aswell
Seen a lot of splash-o's, Berry pros and wasabis nowadays, alongside buckets and rollers
Don't see that many blasters now, think a lot of them went for Sloshers instead due on how easy they are to use
People still pack nonsensical weapons for Ranked

Award

Chargers are far less common, more and more E-Liter mains are going for the Splatterscope instead. Hydra isn't very common aswell
Seen a lot of splash-o's, Berry pros and wasabis nowadays, alongside buckets and rollers
Don't see that many blasters now, think a lot of them went for Sloshers instead due on how easy they are to use
People still pack nonsensical weapons for Ranked
Eliters are generally relegated to perch sniping role - OR - aggressive eliter role with vanilla (those new burst bombs are something else!) I've opted for the latter route when I use it. I WILL divebomb the tower with burst bombs and use it like a bamboozler :P ) But I think the eliter mains get annoyed that eliters will NEVER again have very high k/d. It takes too long to rack the kills now. You'll get your single digits and like it. It goes back to being a weapon less about quantity of splats and more about being a deterrent, inking paths and being obstructive. People who obsess over k/d ratios (which seems like half of Splatoon) will not feel good about eliting now based on their stat results. Personally I tend to go more bamboozler now, though I still take out the eliter for stints on TC. Though right now I'm using splattershot and splash-o-matic a lot because the game seems to want to hand me magic wins when I SUCK using those, while making me always lose when I DOMINATE with chargers :confused:

I'm surprised Hydra doesn't seem common. It's more common than it was, but that was a big buff they gave it. Of course any time I take hydra there's another hydra in the lobby o_O But the one TC Anchovy round I used it in yesterday before map change, I was doing HORRIBLE at first just being a perch inker against a team (with their own hydra) that was besting us most of the time, but I took my bubbler (Heeey @birdiebee......... ;) ) Went aggressive and turned the tide with a triple kill. Hydra is brutal-tastic now. Surprised it's still ignored, though it's still hard to use well.

Wasabi is the new tentatek, full stop. I see 2.5 Wasabis for every TTK/Octo I see now. Not hard to understand why, zooka nerf aside, splat bombs are so much more utilitarian than suction bombs in more cases, though personally the burst bomb nerbuf has made me rethink the original plain old splattershot.
Everyones using burst bombs less...for me they're infinitely better.

Is there such a thing as a nonsensical weapon for ranked?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom