• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

All New Specials

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
If I heard correctly on the treehouse, all of the specials are new with no returning specials. Specifically he said none of the specials in Splatoon 2 have been seen before.
Does this mean no more invincibility cheese? None of the shown specials give invincibility. RIP panic button specials Kraken and bubbler.
But what of echo? Will something replace or will there be no tagging mechanic?

What new special do you really want on your weapon of choice?
I think I'd really like the rain cloud as it fits with my defensive playstyle to keep players out of areas. Or maybe the splatdown because of its get off me power works similar to how I use Kraken anyways.

Last edited:

Gameboy224

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
Gameboy224
I'm gonna miss you Echolocator, I always loved playing support with you.

I guess that is one way to not completely overshadow vanilla Splatoon, completely new set of specials.

Joasa

Depressed Squid
:inkstrike:RIP, my beloved:inkstrike:

I'm loving the raincloud thing. Hoping it's gonna be the special to a roller. Preferably a big, heavy, powerful roller.

The double cannon thingy looks pretty awesome too, especially the Inkling's slasher smile as she deploys it.

Kowai Yume

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Kowai_Yume
So I just watched the demo IGN posted up and my only complaint on specials is that the game automatically tells you if a team has a special ready or not. It's convenient but I feel keeping track of enemy's special build is a skill people should have. Then again, this is coming from a medic main in TF2. Not sure how broken the specials are yet. Will just have to wait.

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
So I just watched the demo IGN posted up and my only complaint on specials is that the game automatically tells you if a team has a special ready or not. It's convenient but I feel keeping track of enemy's special build is a skill people should have. Then again, this is coming from a medic main in TF2. Not sure how broken the specials are yet. Will just have to wait.
The visual cue on top that shows when anyone has their special is probably there because of Splatoon's design philosophy to have the game entirely playable without voice chat. It's just added on top of the glowing hair from the first game. Just one less thing to have to call out to teammates.

There are no invincibility specials and while some can definitely turn momentum of a battle they don't appear broken in any way. The only questionable one is the ink storm which is unclear on how exactly it works due to only a short clip of footage but it probably has good limiters for balance.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
As useful as it is, I'm going to miss actually paying attention as much as I do currently. Being on the look out and even listening like some radar tech aboard a submarine when someone activates their special nearby and being able to distinguish which special and where they are.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
:inkstrike:RIP, my beloved:inkstrike:

I'm loving the raincloud thing. Hoping it's gonna be the special to a roller. Preferably a big, heavy, powerful roller.

The double cannon thingy looks pretty awesome too, especially the Inkling's slasher smile as she deploys it.
Inkstrike merely evolved into the Tenta-Missile, now with working Itano Circus action.

I'm gonna miss the Kraken and Echolocator, and technically the Bomb Rush isn't gone, just mechanized with a launcher.

(I hope we get Disruptor or Curling Bomb Rush this time around)

HySquid

Full Squid
NNID
mob362
Splashdown, here's why.

when a teammate is in enemy turf and enemies are starting to attack them:

1. Super jump to them.

2. Activate special WHILE IN MIDAIR!!!

3. Save teammate's life and possibly ink the shell out of the enemy's turf from the inside.

4. Profit!

Magnus0

Pro Squid
I noticed that the new specials are less impactful. They´re good, obviously, but they don´t seem to absolutely dictate a match like say an inkzooka or bubbler do. I think this is a good thing, because there might be more place for counterplay. No more insta-win buttons in a 1vs1 and undodgable inkzooka from across the map and such.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I noticed that the new specials are less impactful. They´re good, obviously, but they don´t seem to absolutely dictate a match like say an inkzooka or bubbler do. I think this is a good thing, because there might be more place for counterplay. No more insta-win buttons in a 1vs1 and undodgable inkzooka from across the map and such.
Agreed! It's also good that they either can't be used without making yourself more vulnerable (Inkjet, Stingray, Tentamissles) or their effect isn't too powerful without good timing (Splashdown), atleast so far. It'll be weird not having any invincibility specials, they were fun but it's probably for the best.

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
Splashdown can potentially be used as an insta-win panic button for 1v1s (probably even more guaranteed at getting a splat than kraken), but it no longer has the ability to cascade unless you catch enemies in a group (Kraken had the potential to keep swimming after a splat and potentially catch someone else off-guard).

Ink jet seems just as capable as inkzooka in potential for wiping teams as it has the range and maneuverability. It just requires a bit more accuracy and mowing down lines of enemies won't happen.

Imo those two seem the most powerful as far as splat potential out of what has been revealed. (bomb rushes in their evolved form may be incredibly scary as well but we haven't seen them in actual gameplay to properly assess their caveats)

Tentamissile will probably be more for assist splats when a teammate is already engaging an enemy so there's a greater chance they'll die from splash damage or failing to dodge.

Sting ray looks to be the weakest of the revealed specials. It requires multiple hits (so a consistent shot on target), aims very slowly after set up, inkling is stuck in place for the duration. (this seems like a super hard nerf to the zoning that killed wail provided) I hope to be proven wrong about this special but from first appearance it almost seems more of a hindrance than help.

Ink storm looks like a potential momentum swing special with its ability to regain turf quickly. It doesn't appear to splat while covering turf though so you'll have to take squids out quickly while they're temporarily trapped in ink. Also if zones returns then I'm sure this special will be abusable in capturing the zones (moreso than ink strike ever was).

Related note: in the demo all specials activated at 180p and all weapons had same special depletion. Curious if that was only for demo purposes and will change once the full game releases.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Splashdown can potentially be used as an insta-win panic button for 1v1s (probably even more guaranteed at getting a splat than kraken), but it no longer has the ability to cascade unless you catch enemies in a group (Kraken had the potential to keep swimming after a splat and potentially catch someone else off-guard).

Ink jet seems just as capable as inkzooka in potential for wiping teams as it has the range and maneuverability. It just requires a bit more accuracy and mowing down lines of enemies won't happen.

Imo those two seem the most powerful as far as splat potential out of what has been revealed. (bomb rushes in their evolved form may be incredibly scary as well but we haven't seen them in actual gameplay to properly assess their caveats)

Tentamissile will probably be more for assist splats when a teammate is already engaging an enemy so there's a greater chance they'll die from splash damage or failing to dodge.

Sting ray looks to be the weakest of the revealed specials. It requires multiple hits (so a consistent shot on target), aims very slowly after set up, inkling is stuck in place for the duration. (this seems like a super hard nerf to the zoning that killed wail provided) I hope to be proven wrong about this special but from first appearance it almost seems more of a hindrance than help.

Ink storm looks like a potential momentum swing special with its ability to regain turf quickly. It doesn't appear to splat while covering turf though so you'll have to take squids out quickly while they're temporarily trapped in ink. Also if zones returns then I'm sure this special will be abusable in capturing the zones (moreso than ink strike ever was).

Related note: in the demo all specials activated at 180p and all weapons had same special depletion. Curious if that was only for demo purposes and will change once the full game releases.
Nah I think the Inkjet is definitely inferior to the Inkzooka. Flying in the air seems cool but it's actually a disadvantage since you move slower than swimming on the ground and you have no means of cover. There's no patented "surprise-zooka!" either as upon activation you fly up into the air for all enemys to see. From what I've seen it doesn't look like you can use your sub weapon either. Lastly, once the special ends you jump back to where you activated it giving the enemy ambush opportunity. It still has the highest kill potential of the specials so far, but also the highest risk.

Also while it has range I don't think it'll be the most effective counter to long range weapons due to the aforementioned vulnerability. I think that's where the Stingray comes in, as while you can't really move, you can hide behind walls since it shoots through them. Hopefully it has really good range, I couldn't really tell from what I've seen of it.

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
Nah I think the Inkjet is definitely inferior to the Inkzooka. Flying in the air seems cool but it's actually a disadvantage since you move slower than swimming on the ground and you have no means of cover. There's no patented "surprise-zooka!" either as upon activation you fly up into the air for all enemys to see. From what I've seen it doesn't look like you can use your sub weapon either. Lastly, once the special ends you jump back to where you activated it giving the enemy ambush opportunity. It still has the highest kill potential of the specials so far, but also the highest risk.

Also while it has range I don't think it'll be the most effective counter to long range weapons due to the aforementioned vulnerability. I think that's where the Stingray comes in, as while you can't really move, you can hide behind walls since it shoots through them. Hopefully it has really good range, I couldn't really tell from what I've seen of it.
Perhaps you misunderstood what I meant. Ink jet is simply the balanced evolution of the inkzooka. Similar team wiping potential while also being considerably more vulnerable to being picked off by Chargers or by players that take advantage of the forced return super jump at the end. It also doesn't have the same painting potential as the blast travels far but no path of ink is left except where it hits. Interesting to note is that the jets themselves do paint below you so it's possible to gain coverage through movement (I'm curious if it's possible to splat by hovering over someone).

The sting ray has infinite range and can shoot through walls. It could be an effective range counter but if you're hiding then you won't have visibility to secure the kill and if you aren't hiding then you're a sitting duck. At least it also appears to paint a little in addition to doing damage so there's that. I'm hoping people discover great uses in time but for now I feel it might be held back by its limitations too much to be helpful in most situations.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Perhaps you misunderstood what I meant. Ink jet is simply the balanced evolution of the inkzooka. Similar team wiping potential while also being considerably more vulnerable to being picked off by Chargers or by players that take advantage of the forced return super jump at the end. It also doesn't have the same painting potential as the blast travels far but no path of ink is left except where it hits. Interesting to note is that the jets themselves do paint below you so it's possible to gain coverage through movement (I'm curious if it's possible to splat by hovering over someone).

The sting ray has infinite range and can shoot through walls. It could be an effective range counter but if you're hiding then you won't have visibility to secure the kill and if you aren't hiding then you're a sitting duck. At least it also appears to paint a little in addition to doing damage so there's that. I'm hoping people discover great uses in time but for now I feel it might be held back by its limitations too much to be helpful in most situations.
Survivability also plays into it's killing potential, you can't wipe the team if you're dead! Plus again, no sub weapons and no surprise factor, so I wouldn't say it has similar potential, but that's just my opinion.

If the Stingray truely has infinite range then you don't even need to hide!

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
Survivability also plays into it's killing potential, you can't wipe the team if you're dead! Plus again, no sub weapons and no surprise factor, so I wouldn't say it has similar potential, but that's just my opinion.

If the Stingray truely has infinite range then you don't even need to hide!
Keep in mind that similar does not mean equal. It has very long range so it is possible to challenge most weapons outside of their range while flying around with careful spacing. Obviously skilled Chargers will be able to pick an ink jet off but it also has range to challenge Chargers. And if someone else has disposed of the charger it's even better (thanks to the new overlay you can tell when charger is down).

Sure, if there are wide open spaces with vantage points that can't be challenged by Chargers, but most of Splatoon's stages were small and cramped. If Splatoon 2 keeps similar level design then there still might be limited situations for it to really work well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom