• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

All New Specials

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Inkstrike wasn't that lag-wonky, but it was kinda cheesy to be able to straight-up nuke sniper nests and blast out the Splat Zones and the Rainmaker barrier in a single shot. Tenta-missile is lock-on, but it also has a larger effective splash zone so it will turf even better and be harder for your targets to evade.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
It sounds like their just replacing the old specials with weaker versions sugarcoated with the word "New" in them,

Splatdown seems to be a replacement for kraken, and it honestly seemed a bit underwhelming to me. Because the charge up to beat the ground seems a bit too long. (even though dynamos have the same problem, and look at them now) If the special gives you invincibility in the air, that would be cool.

The rain cloud seems to be the replacement for inkstrike, as it's a massive sprinkler. But I think its the best special that we've seen so far.

D3RK

Semi-Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-6389-5985-3965 Username:「Derk」
I won't mind if all the current specials end up being removed and replaced with toned down, but still effective, specials. Kraken and Bubbler were easy mode cheese where the only counterplay was to run or to focus your fire to push them away and not every weapon had the power or firerate to do that in a 1v1 situation. Spreading to your entire team was overkill... Inkzooka was insanely good and applied so much pressure when it was active. You could blindfire it and splat opponents from across the map. Seeker Rush was pretty bad lol. The 1 special that I will miss is Inkstrike. It was very good at forcing someone out of a specific area (chargers) and halting the ring in splatzones.

The new rocket launcher feels like an adjusted Inkstrike. You can't just mindlessly shoot it across the map anymore and now have to lock on to people. An interesting change but I like it! Camping super jumpers by waiting for them to land and instantly shoot them is a very common strat (or placing a suction bomb). Now you may be greeted with the ground pound special and end up getting splatted instead. I can see a lot of people doing risky jumps on purpose in hopes of grabbing attention for this special. The jet pack seems to carry the same idea as Inkzooka, but with an actual weakness this time which is nice. Not sure how I feel about the rain cloud since I have not seen very much use of it yet. It looks like it could be good for surrounding opponents in ink to give yourself a lot of movement options while limited theirs. Stingray looks like wail 2.0. It will either be super good or super bad. I can see a lot of uses for hitting a key part of the map from behind a wall to give your team the positional advantage. It seems like it takes a few hits to kill which will be the main deciding factor for this special I think.

Last edited:

swamphox

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DawGnar
It sounds like their just replacing the old specials with weaker versions sugarcoated with the word "New" in them,

Splatdown seems to be a replacement for kraken, and it honestly seemed a bit underwhelming to me. Because the charge up to beat the ground seems a bit too long. (even though dynamos have the same problem, and look at them now) If the special gives you invincibility in the air, that would be cool.

The rain cloud seems to be the replacement for inkstrike, as it's a massive sprinkler. But I think its the best special that we've seen so far.
I dont see that at all. The released specials all seem to encourage agro mode thus far.

97Stephen

Pro Squid
I dont see that at all. The released specials all seem to encourage agro mode thus far.
The specials shown thus far seem (to me at least) to favor more careful use. Jetpacking out in the open would probably get you instantly sniped, the rockets leave you vulnerable to close quarters, the spray thing is really slow, and the splashdown has a limited range.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I think the Stingray had to be a slower splatter, otherwise on flat maps (i.e. Port Mackrel) you could just sweep from one end to the other, killing the entire enemy team! As it is now you have to zero in on targets which seems fair enough considering infinite range and hitting through walls.

Slurmp

Pro Squid
NNID
HedgehogOverlord
I foresee games of jump rope with the sting ray. I think it will probably also inspire more creative parkour than the killer wail did.

JosephStardust

Inkling
I'm really disappointed with the Ink Cloud. I was hoping Nintendo would keep the Inkstrike special related to the Call of Duty series in some way. The Inkstrike is essentially the Hellstorm Missle, so instead of the Ink Cloud, they could add something like a Bombing Run, or Lightning Strike, to keep the vibe of tactical shooter alive. Plus, it brings me nostalgia to my Black Ops II days.

darthteddy93

Inkling
I'm really disappointed with the Ink Cloud. I was hoping Nintendo would keep the Inkstrike special related to the Call of Duty series in some way. The Inkstrike is essentially the Hellstorm Missle, so instead of the Ink Cloud, they could add something like a Bombing Run, or Lightning Strike, to keep the vibe of tactical shooter alive. Plus, it brings me nostalgia to my Black Ops II days.
I wouldn't mind seeing it be replaced by a large slow moving ink tornado that inks a wide path.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
In terms of death from above there's still the Tentamissles and Inkjet. I haven't played Call of Duty in years so I don't remember exactly what killstreaks they're similar to, but I know there's various forms of airstrikes so similar to Tentamissles, and there's a bomber plane you directly control so it's like the Inkjet.

I'm wondering if the Ink Cloud will be able to ink turf after time has expired like the Inkstrike can. The reason I question this is because it might mean having to wait 8 or so seconds after the game ends. Maybe that'd get annoying or something, I don't know! I'm also hoping Special Duration if it returns makes the cloud last longer as this is probably the best special for that ability.

★Forge

Senior Squid
NNID
Slumplush
I want the Kraken and Inkzooka to stay :( But I actually hope they add a new ''Bomb Rush'' to it, Like Disruptor Rush or something

Jhonnybird

Full Squid
NNID
Jhonnybird2004
They should bring back the special weapons and sub weapons in amibos. That would be amazing.

The Meme Lord

Inkster Jr.
NNID
gravityfallsboy
I'm just glad the invincibility specials are gone. It's extremely frustrating to sneak up on an enemy, then get Bubbler'd or Kraken'd right before I could kill them. If they keep one or two specials from the old game, I'd choose Echolocator and Inkzooka. I feel it really isn't a Splatoon game without them, especially with the Echolocator, where it was an extreme version of the Point Sensor.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I think the Stingray had to be a slower splatter, otherwise on flat maps (i.e. Port Mackrel) you could just sweep from one end to the other, killing the entire enemy team! As it is now you have to zero in on targets which seems fair enough considering infinite range and hitting through walls.
The sweeping speed is a little low so you can't just strafe EVERYONE during its duration even with maxed Special Duration Up.

Amarae

Splatoon subreddit & discord Mod
Community Ambassador
NNID
Amiithystine
Switch Friend Code
SW-5344-8655-6309
I really like this vibe I'm getting where the Specials aren't a "Hey look at me win this engagement by myself" situation and more of a Rainbow Six style coordinated effort tool.

And personally I want to see a Splatling with Beakons and Tmissile/Ultra Launcher to really fulfil my place in long range fire support.

97Stephen

Pro Squid
I really like this vibe I'm getting where the Specials aren't a "Hey look at me win this engagement by myself" situation and more of a Rainbow Six style coordinated effort tool.
I really hope specials don't require that much coordination. While not impossible, lots of coordination doesn't happen much in solo ranked.

Amarae

Splatoon subreddit & discord Mod
Community Ambassador
NNID
Amiithystine
Switch Friend Code
SW-5344-8655-6309
I really hope specials don't require that much coordination. While not impossible, lots of coordination doesn't happen much in solo ranked.
The only Special I'm seeing that's probably gonna require any real "Rainbow six Breach and Clear" style organization is the Stingray. There is always tower control however. Or so I hope TC is back..

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom