• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

All New Specials

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Keep in mind that similar does not mean equal. It has very long range so it is possible to challenge most weapons outside of their range while flying around with careful spacing. Obviously skilled Chargers will be able to pick an ink jet off but it also has range to challenge Chargers. And if someone else has disposed of the charger it's even better (thanks to the new overlay you can tell when charger is down).

Sure, if there are wide open spaces with vantage points that can't be challenged by Chargers, but most of Splatoon's stages were small and cramped. If Splatoon 2 keeps similar level design then there still might be limited situations for it to really work well.
Bah, scemantics! I agree it works similarly, but just not in every way and not as effective, which is why I wouldn't say it's just as capable as the Inkzooka.

The E-Liter worked very well on such maps and that's basically what this special is, so I think it'll be good, but we'll just have to wait and see of course.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
I have a feeling that none of the specials are going to work "as effectively" as the old specials at doing what they did, especially since some of the old specials were kind of insane by comparison. I mean, the Bubbler gave you full invincibility on command and let you keep shooting AND let you pass that on to teammates.

I doubt that they will do anything like that with the new ones; they all seem to have very exploitable weaknesses, such as lack of mobility or flying around in the air very slowly. Even the BIG PUNCH doesn't seem to have the biggest blast radius in the world.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
I dig at how the specials are powerful enough to get the job done, but not too powerful. I think they will be in a much better spot this game. Gonna be interesting to see more of the specials. Even if this is all we get special wise, I would rather have less things that are more balanced as opposed to more.

Also, Splash Down from a Squid Jump is a very hype thing to see.

Slurmp

Pro Squid
NNID
HedgehogOverlord
New combo: tower control, quick respawn, special charge up/saver, stealth jump and splash down.

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
I dig at how the specials are powerful enough to get the job done, but not too powerful. I think they will be in a much better spot this game. Gonna be interesting to see more of the specials. Even if this is all we get special wise, I would rather have less things that are more balanced as opposed to more.

Also, Splash Down from a Squid Jump is a very hype thing to see.
If all we get is what's revealed that means six different specials as opposed to seven.

The evolutionary equivalents
Ink jet is inkzooka
Splashdown is Kraken
Sting ray is killer wail
Tenta missiles is ink strike weaponized
Ink storm (unofficial name) is ink strike for coverage
Bomb sling (unofficial name) is bomb rush.

There are no bubbler or echolocator equivalents revealed so far.
It will be kind of disappointing if echo doesn't come back in another form but if it isn't a special then maybe tagging will be weapon/gear exclusive.

When the meta develops it will be interesting to see the counterplay with Splashdown. Being able to a see a weapon with Splashdown has their special charged could force backing off from super jump points. The Splashdown player will also have to recognize midair if players are close enough to splat on landing and use their special so it isn't a waste.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
And actually, I would say Splashdown is another spiritual successor to inkstrike.

I has the exact same affect, just it is melee range instead of global

NotAPerso

Inkling Cadet
NNID
PersocomLover
And actually, I would say Splashdown is another spiritual successor to inkstrike.

I has the exact same affect, just it is melee range instead of global
I can see your arguement in its effect, but the utility is much closer to how Kraken was used in the original Splatoon.
It can be used as a panic button when fighting 1v1 to quickly win the fight like a Kraken would. Kraken could also super jump in while transformed to take out opponents unexpectedly (especially useful on TC).
The similarity to ink strike is literally only ink spread area that can kill. So I believe it makes more sense as a comparison to Kraken.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
I think there'll be more specials, I mean they haven't revealed all of anything yet, not maps, weapons, modes, abilitys, etc., so probably specials aswell. Also the Ink cloud kinda has echolocater properties, limited area instead of entire map, but the ink spread will force any hiding squids to surface and because of the ink damage they'll show up on the map.

Captain Woomy

Woomy Enthusiast
Honestly, I like that it's all new specials. That way no one can immediately get comfortable with a weapon and give the new players at least a little slack against the veterans.

I really can't wait to try out all of them.

squidels

Inkling
NNID
squidles11037
not sure if many people know this, but you can apparently only aim at people who you're able to detect in this circle. jsyk :0

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Nice find. Balances that special out a little bit, as well as the fact that the more people you lock on to, the longer you are stuck firing the weapon, which makes you vulnerable.

Splash

Full Squid
NNID
ChameoFive
Switch Friend Code
SW-3931-9636-2696
I'm looking forward to the new specials, that Ink Jetpack alone has me sold on Splat2n. I honestly didn't care much for the original's specials seeing none of them I found to be that great, besides the bomb rushes and maybe Echolocator. Though the Inkstrike in Splat Zones was straight-up just rude!

The knockback on the Kraken and Bubbler kinda ruined it for me. Killer Wail and Inkzooka were kinda just not that great, period.

97Stephen

Pro Squid
I like all the specials I've seen so far. The specials seem a little toned back in power compared to Splatoon, but I think that's a good thing. I really like the fact that while specials are still powerful, they also leave room for counterplay. No more double kraken tower pushes!

Babycowland

Semi-Pro Squid
The bubbler and kraken could definitely be annoying at times in Splatoon, but I think that all things considered they were actually both pretty balanced. I'll be kind of sad to see them go.

The new specials do look pretty cool though. I'm looking forward to trying out the ink storm/rain cloud thing.

Inyo

Inkling Cadet
NNID
SurfGreenGibby
I played quite a bit tonight and got killed by a lot of Panic Krakens and Gotcha Bubblers. Every time I was like "Enjoy it while it lasts, jerkwad!"

All of the specials we've seen have one uniting factor: you have to actually think about using them before using them. Use them in a blind panic and you are probably toast, even the Splashdown or Splatdown or whatever it's called.

Spraylan

Inkling Cadet
NNID
JonasOrtega
The more I see the Stingray, the more I love it. Get ready Bad Guys, this is going to be you this summer:

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
0.o an inksurfing special to replace kraken???

o_0;;
Sounds delicious. And I've almost forever wanted kraken to be teammate rideable.

Meanwhile, I'm starting to warmup to the idea of ditching the current specials. These new feel like they'll be lag neutral at least—or so I dream.

No more action hero fleeing from bomb rushes, congratulate yourself on a dodge well done, then spontaneously inksplode. No more going separate ways from an attention seeking inkzooka then spontaneously inksploding out of sympathy. No more taming or rodeo clowning a kraken then performing your next circus trick: spontaneously inksploding. No more shoving bubblers off ledges only for them to pull one last horror-monster movie "gotcha" and then making you deliberately inksplode.

Almost sounds magical.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Sounds delicious. And I've almost forever wanted kraken to be teammate rideable.

Meanwhile, I'm starting to warmup to the idea of ditching the current specials. These new feel like they'll be lag neutral at least—or so I dream.

No more action hero fleeing from bomb rushes, congratulate yourself on a dodge well done, then spontaneously inksplode. No more going separate ways from an attention seeking inkzooka then spontaneously inksploding out of sympathy. No more taming or rodeo clowning a kraken then performing your next circus trick: spontaneously inksploding. No more shoving bubblers off ledges only for them to pull one last horror-monster movie "gotcha" and then making you deliberately inksplode.

Almost sounds magical.
You are already splatted.
;kenshiro:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom