• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Are Chargers bad

Kayeka

Pro Squid
NNID
Kayeka
One thing I´m seeing is that a lot of people won´t use your ink lines to reach the important points faster at the beginning. Instead, more and more people are using their time painting ground before heading there so when they do they have their special ready :( Also, I hate it when I paint half a corridor, strafe to paint the other half in a shot and a happy Splatter Jr. of my own team runs though the corridor painting it himself, instead of using my corridor to advance faster and let me take care of what´s left.
This is something you see with a lot of Jr. and Aerospray users, and the game encourages it. You gain points by painting the floor, not by splatting foes and holding important positions, and the end result screen ranks the players by the amount of points they get. Jr. and Aerospray are good at spreading ink, so they naturally get the highest point total, even if (I said if, my dear Jr. and Aerospray using friends) they immediately lose the terrain they just covered, thus contributing absolutely nothing. Unfortunately, many people measure their contribution by what the scoreboard says, making the Jr. and Aerospray a disproportionately popular choice online.

Combine this with the fact that, outside of their specials, Jr. and Aerospray are actually pretty bad at direct confrontations, you get a whole lot of point-hogging clowns that paint everything in sight, but are skittish when it comes to challenging the opposition and actually getting sh*t done.

...Did I go off-topic somewhere in there? I think I did. Eh, still gonna post.

NineWholeGrains

Inkster Jr.
NNID
xcrunner39
This is something you see with a lot of Jr. and Aerospray users, and the game encourages it. You gain points by painting the floor, not by splatting foes and holding important positions, and the end result screen ranks the players by the amount of points they get. Jr. and Aerospray are good at spreading ink, so they naturally get the highest point total, even if (I said if, my dear Jr. and Aerospray using friends) they immediately lose the terrain they just covered, thus contributing absolutely nothing. Unfortunately, many people measure their contribution by what the scoreboard says, making the Jr. and Aerospray a disproportionately popular choice online.

Combine this with the fact that, outside of their specials, Jr. and Aerospray are actually pretty bad at direct confrontations, you get a whole lot of point-hogging clowns that paint everything in sight, but are skittish when it comes to challenging the opposition and actually getting sh*t done.

Thankfully, Splat Zones doesn't reward this playstyle. I think as Aerospray users begin to funnel in to Ranked Battles, they'll adjust playstyles accordingly.

Speaking of Splat Zones, I believe the Chargers might have found a home. It requires careful positioning and great awareness, but a sniper can really mess up opposing teams. Don't underestimate the ink coverage; a long, straight line across the entire zone can make them lose control.

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon

Yeah, I don´t care much about the score, I care more about helping the team win. If I lay a line they should use it to get to the front lines fast and paint terrain there while stopping the enemy. That will give me time to paint the rest and get in time to their position to provide support from a safe place before the enemy arrives. We both get terrain painted and points, we both load our specials and are in a position to win in the important confrontations. As a charger I´m not going to rush to the front lines to get killed by enemies with superior mobility, that doesn´t contribute anything to the team. I think it maybe because the game is new and a lot of people focus on the immediate point gain instead of strategizing towards final victory.

More than once I´ve set an sprinkler near our base only to see a teammate starting to cover the ground around the sprinkler on his own...:S

Davybot

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Davybot
i really want to love charger but gosh I'm just really not used to how little range they have compared to scoped weapons in other games.
I appall any one who can master chargers.

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix

Agreed. But sometimes I get more points than everyone in my team and I am primarily a charger player. Kelp charger to be specific. Don't know why exactly. I can only think that I'm putting in most of the work.

correojon

Pro Squid
NNID
correojon
Yesterday I got the most frustrating experience playing with a charger: I kept getting low level Splat Jr. users on my team who were constantly getting in front of me and blocking my shots. Once I was in a perfect sniping spot in the Mall, I was covering ground and stopping the enemy advance and this guy walks before me and blocks all my shots. Result: the enemy managed to get to the zone I was defending and from there attack our base. We lost the match and the guy even got more points than I, so he must´ve thought he didn´t do so bad :( Now, imagine this same situation in the Port. WTF is a Splat user doing on the ledge, c´mon you don´t have the range to cover terrain from here, get down there and fight! And let me do my thing!

I hope we had a "get out of here" message or a way to push people aside sometimes.

But really, people need to start seeing that you must never block a charger user, you are disabling one member of your team worse than any enemy could.

RiDEL

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
RiDEL_Puff
Speaking of Splat Zones, I believe the Chargers might have found a home. It requires careful positioning and great awareness, but a sniper can really mess up opposing teams. Don't underestimate the ink coverage; a long, straight line across the entire zone can make them lose control.
Yup! I'm happy to say that I topped the scoreboard every time in Ranked when using the Charger (switching between Kelp and Scope). The points for the most part are put in areas where there is a good sniping spot so people running Aerospray's and Jr's couldn't do anything but try and flank me; I negated there flanks by covering there only approach options with a Sprinkler. I actually had one moment where two team members fired a Killer Whale and an Inkstrike at me, but luckily I was able to avoid them. As I went on playing Splat Zones I started to realize people were respecting me more, as they would do there damnest to stay out of my line of sight and constantly looking at all the balcony's. It's really quite a joy ride being a useful team player for once, I would even suggest you try it out for yourself!

NineWholeGrains

Inkster Jr.
NNID
xcrunner39
Yup! I'm happy to say that I topped the scoreboard every time in Ranked when using the Charger (switching between Kelp and Scope). The points for the most part are put in areas where there is a good sniping spot so people running Aerospray's and Jr's couldn't do anything but try and flank me; I negated there flanks by covering there only approach options with a Sprinkler. I actually had one moment where two team members fired a Killer Whale and an Inkstrike at me, but luckily I was able to avoid them. As I went on playing Splat Zones I started to realize people were respecting me more, as they would do there damnest to stay out of my line of sight and constantly looking at all the balcony's. It's really quite a joy ride being a useful team player for once, I would even suggest you try it out for yourself!
I actually did the same yesterday! I was testing out the Kelp Splatterscope on the Urchin Underpass Splat Zone and was consistently leading my team. The long range covered the whole zone, the Sprinkler dangled perfectly from the speakers on the ceiling, and Killer Wail remained an excellent zoning tool. To be honest, kills weren't even that important. Two full shots from the Kelp Scope were nearly enough to make the opponent lose control of the zone. I'm not even that experienced a Charger user, but I was able to contribute in meaningful ways.

In my humble opinion, our predictions about the Charger's home being Splat Zones is mostly true. You'll likely never be able to defend a zone by yourself, but there's no denying the abilities of a capable shot who positions themselves well.

Zethoro

Inkling
NNID
Zethor
I like using the Squiffer as well. It's nice to have superior range on your enemies. If you have good aim and can keep the proper distance, you can win most engagements.

I should probably use the Kelp Charger more often too. That sprinkler is a pretty powerful, if rather plain, sub weapon.
The Squiffer actually has less range than a lot of the shooters. The Pro, Gals, and Squelcher all outreach it.
I've bern primarily using Chargers since release, and with Kelp I was reliably getting multiple kills and 900+ points on a win.
The chargers take work. They don't seem rewarding, but having one (ONLY ONE) is invaluable.

Beariie

Full Squid
Chargers need a complete buff while MGs and Kraken need a nerf.

Theres something wrong when you have to play 5x harder then other players who use MGs to even get the same or worse results. Chargers require Aim, you cant spray and pray, and our subs are not the best...Besides sprinkler, but the point is, we were designed to pick off players yet we have to dish out more effort to do that instead when the other weapons do our damage with basically little to no effort. I get rained on and screwed because i get stuck in ink and droplets hit me while i cant do much because any ink i create is immediately covered back up by the enemies. This happens even when im trying to get around the map, if im spotted by a MG player, im screwed unless i can pull off a very lucky 180 charge. Which also takes time to build up while your already getting inked at.

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
People need to stop with this "chargers aren't good at coverage" business. They cover ground differently. They're probably the most effective class for covering hallways, and they're no slouch in covering large areas either. The best thing they can do is lay down long lines of ink to get players into position faster. Splattershots take longer, and Rollers are basically begging to be shot.

No, they're not easy to use, but there's a reason for that. If they were then we'd be seeing Squiffers and Splatterscopes instead of Aerosprays and Rollers. And a good sniper is about ten times harder to deal with then the noob weapons.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
As a charger main, chargers are amazing. Don't have them all unlock, but I will talk about the ones I do.

Standard/Replica - For a default weapon, it is still amazing.

It still has the Kill potential and range. Very good at both spreading ink and killing.

Splat bombs are good for getting spots you couldn't otherwise, as well as a "get off me" to your opponents.

Also, there is bomb rush, oh man bomb rush. Bomb rush is a game changer. It can easily cover a lot of turf in Turf War as well as splat zones. I think it is even better than Ink strike in splat zones as it is both unpredictable and spreads more ink. (Though with the downside of not being able to use it as often and actually having to be near the location).

Kelp: Sprinkler man. Sprinkler's inking ability is just amazing.Great distraction tool as well. Even though the killer wail is sub par, still a decent special for killing.

Classic: I prefer range, but even I can see the usefulness of a quicker charge time. Can handle itself in fire fights much better this way. Don't have any thoughts on New, since I don't see it that much.

Splatterscope - Well, it's basically a splat charger with more range and the ability to aim better at opponents. I prefer having a constant field of vision, but it should be helpful to some.

I have yet to unlock the eliter, but I want it.

Also, a random tidbit. On Walleye, it is better to go all out offensive I find, then camping on the boxes. The map is built for heavy offense. Dying isn't as big of an issue since the map is so small as well. Having a one hit kill gun on that map is insane.

Overall, the Default is my favorite with a soft spot for kelp.

PolarisAegis

Inkster Jr.
NNID
kirbyfreek33
People need to stop with this "chargers aren't good at coverage" business. They cover ground differently. They're probably the most effective class for covering hallways, and they're no slouch in covering large areas either. The best thing they can do is lay down long lines of ink to get players into position faster. Splattershots take longer, and Rollers are basically begging to be shot.

No, they're not easy to use, but there's a reason for that. If they were then we'd be seeing Squiffers and Splatterscopes instead of Aerosprays and Rollers. And a good sniper is about ten times harder to deal with then the noob weapons.
The charger is indeed perfectly fine with coverage as you just need to find the right lines to utilize it the best, but when it comes to hitting foes, I feel the charger does still have it a bit unnecessarily difficult. The weapon appears to have been designed like any sniper rifle in other shooting games for the shooting mechanics, but Splatoon's extra mobility and squid form availability make it be much more punishing to miss the shot that may also be much harder to hit due to squid form being something that of course everyone would use. In turf war the inking potential helps to work fine for it, but in splat zones the charger kinda ends up generally being good at holding an advantage but terrible at taking back an enemy holding at the zone if they're mostly wielding shooters, since getting there + shot charge time usually is enough for a shooter to notice you and bum rush you and spray somewhere in your general direction.

Using a charger should indeed take more skill than a shooter, but the difference in skill required is a bit wide for not really enough reward for the risks taken.

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
The charger is indeed perfectly fine with coverage as you just need to find the right lines to utilize it the best, but when it comes to hitting foes, I feel the charger does still have it a bit unnecessarily difficult. The weapon appears to have been designed like any sniper rifle in other shooting games for the shooting mechanics, but Splatoon's extra mobility and squid form availability make it be much more punishing to miss the shot that may also be much harder to hit due to squid form being something that of course everyone would use. In turf war the inking potential helps to work fine for it, but in splat zones the charger kinda ends up generally being good at holding an advantage but terrible at taking back an enemy holding at the zone if they're mostly wielding shooters, since getting there + shot charge time usually is enough for a shooter to notice you and bum rush you and spray somewhere in your general direction.

Using a charger should indeed take more skill than a shooter, but the difference in skill required is a bit wide for not really enough reward for the risks taken.
Mm, I've played games where sniping is harder. In Kid Icarus all somebody has to do to shut down a sniper is react to their shot. (There's a dodging mechanic like in SSB FYI.) Or use one of the many invincibility/warping/automatic dodging/invisibility/reflector shield abilities that everybody has ten of. Shooting a little squiddie after dealing with all of that is child's play. In KIU snipers face insurmountable odds, but are rewarded greatly. Didn't get like that overnight either.

Beariie

Full Squid
Just noticed, Chargers have terrible variety when it comes to Subs and Specials. Some of ours requires us to be "Close up and vurnerable". Heck, we dont even have our own personal special.

Specials
Mgs - Inkstrike, Kraken, Bubble, Echolocator, Bomb Rush, InkZooka
Rollers - Beacon, Kraken, Killer Wail, Echolocator, InkStrike
Chargers - Bomb rush, Bubble(Just why....), Killer wail, InkZooka, Echo

Subs
Mgs - Wall, Homing, Bomb, BBomb, Sprinkler, Ink Mines, Disruptor
Rollers - Suction Bomb, Beacon, Sprinkler
Charger - Sprinkler, Ink Mine, Bomb, BBomb

Shocking isnt it? The class that has the most easiest to use weapons gets more perks.

LancerStaff

Inkling Cadet
Just noticed, Chargers have terrible variety when it comes to Subs and Specials. Some of ours requires us to be "Close up and vurnerable". Heck, we dont even have our own personal special.

Specials
Mgs - Inkstrike, Kraken, Bubble, Echolocator, Bomb Rush, InkZooka
Rollers - Beacon, Kraken, Killer Wail, Echolocator, InkStrike
Chargers - Bomb rush, Bubble(Just why....), Killer wail, InkZooka, Echo

Subs
Mgs - Wall, Homing, Bomb, BBomb, Sprinkler, Ink Mines, Disruptor
Rollers - Suction Bomb, Beacon, Sprinkler
Charger - Sprinkler, Ink Mine, Bomb, BBomb

Shocking isnt it? The class that has the most easiest to use weapons gets more perks.
Don't forget Nintendo is sitting on a whole catalogue of weapons. They're probably just testing the waters to see where Chargers land before we get a potentially overpowered combination.

Beariie

Full Squid
Don't forget Nintendo is sitting on a whole catalogue of weapons. They're probably just testing the waters to see where Chargers land before we get a potentially overpowered combination.
True u.u It would be awesome if they added new types of charge weapons, Like a Shotgun charger weapon.

ChivalRuse

Inkster Jr.
Chargers just have a higher learning curve. Learning to read movement and flick snipe is pretty integral to the weapon.

PolarisAegis

Inkster Jr.
NNID
kirbyfreek33
Mm, I've played games where sniping is harder. In Kid Icarus all somebody has to do to shut down a sniper is react to their shot. (There's a dodging mechanic like in SSB FYI.) Or use one of the many invincibility/warping/automatic dodging/invisibility/reflector shield abilities that everybody has ten of. Shooting a little squiddie after dealing with all of that is child's play. In KIU snipers face insurmountable odds, but are rewarded greatly. Didn't get like that overnight either.
I was a staff user in Uprising as well, I'm familiar with the different tools available to them and their opponents. The fact that everyone could run the various super useful Powers is a rather large differentiator from Splatoon, though, as weapon sets here have set subs and specials. Along with that, while in Uprising your shot would charge simply by not using continuous fire for a while and thus you could focus on retreating and using your charge shot while moving, in Splatoon if you want to fire the powerful sniper shot you have to render your mobility next to nonexistent if you want to get a shot out, so you are much more of a sitting duck. I do agree that things may improve with time, but as each charger user is improving so will the users of other, easier-to-use weapons as well. The main reason I've been sticking to the charger myself is just to try to find each possible improvement I can make in my play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom