• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Are rollers less used these days?

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
I still see people use them often in turf war, but rarely in ranked. It's not anywhere near the amount of the pre nerf days, where I'd join a match and there would be 7 Krak-ons and one shooter. (Me) Like others said though, a skilled roller user is still a deadly force. Have you ever seen Ryanator?
I actually watch his videos a lot! xD

Karonax

Octobrushinobi
NNID
Karonax
The biggest thing to realize is that after the August patch the dynamics of Turf War changed. It wasn't about following the other team around farming ink for levels, it changed to where you needed wins for those points.

Hence the Turf War becoming far more aggressive, you rarely see people getting 1700+ points anymore, since people are killing people on sight instead of chasing their ink trails. Rollers did a good job at accruing points for inking but are far harder to wield for consistent kills.

Plus, the meta has shifted to where so many guns commonly seen stomp less-skilled rollers, so new players quickly shift to a different weapon after going 0/15 a few times.

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
Haha I actually played against some japanese players today.. and yeah there was a roller in every single match but in europe people don`t use the rollers...I wonder why..
I think it's just a difference in the way people from regions think. Chargers and rollers have always been popular among Japanese players but chargers never took the same popularity with North Americans and Europeans. NA and EU players have always seemed to prefer weapons like the Tentatek or Gal weapons. It's hard to say why NA and EU players are using the rollers less but it's mostly just a difference in the way different regions think.

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
Ok so I`ve noticed that rollers aren`t that common anymore and that people use gals and other shooters more. Why? I mean rollers are close range weapons but they`re amazing. Is it because of the nerfs??
It's because the overall skill level of the community is way higher than what it used to be. We've fleshed out the meta, improved our aim tremendously, got used to motion controls and etc. Rollers you can play very well with and the need for good aim has always been pretty low but it doesn't require the good aim than gals need to be effective. Now that everyone has some pretty decent aim, they are opting for 2HKOs from a much greater distance of a gal rather than the ninja flicking shenanigans of a roller.

Not only that, but you have to hit with the width of the roller to OHKO when originally it could kill from a larger range. It allowed you to be a little more sloppy.

Lil_Gonz

Inkling
NNID
Macho21798
In my experience, I still see a lot of people using rollers just as much before the nerfs. Tho I'm assuming its just their preference of maining that weapon, but I guess it too also has to do with the nerf since they changed the hitbox so it wouldn't be super OP.

Lester Roquefort

Pro Squid
NNID
LesterRoquefort
Switch Friend Code
SW-2928-7410-6310
I'm STILL a dedicated carbon roller. You gotta roll fast and flick like you're a madman.

Quite honestly, i haven't noticed a nerf.... it might be because i alway treated rollers like melee weapons.

And i constantly see rollers... i've been in a 4 roller team quite a lot.

Hawk Seow

Pro Squid
NNID
Hawk-Seow
I think in Turf Wars, Splat Roller is arguably the hardest roller to use along with Carbon Deco. The nerfs were pretty fair for the Dynamo IMO. What's not fair is how the other rollers got nerfed as collateral.

What they did was make it such that you have to hit with the center of the roller to get the OHKO. For the flicked ink I agree with that change, but now even when the Splat Roller physically hits the opponent on the way down, if you didn't touch them with around the center 1/3 of the sponge itself, then you wouldn't get an OHKO.

So what the Splat Roller has become in close quarters is a poorer Carbon since a Carbon takes half the time from swing to splat (12f to be exact, Splat Roller takes 24f) and moves faster while rolling too. It's also why you're more likely to see Carbon Rollers (and both Dynamos) in TW than Splat Rollers (that's been my experience).

Also, the meta in Turf Wars has reached a point where you're unlikely to squish anyone with a roller unless you're playing with newbies. That means all 3 roller variants are going to get kills mainly by flicking. Dynamo is fine because the range is great so aiming for the center is totally justified. Carbon has always been designed to kill via flicking + subs.

Splat Roller has become the odd one out and most savvy players have realized that so you rarely see it used in TW. When you do see them, most likely they're Hero Rollers (people who just got the amiibos recently aka newbies) or newbie Splat Rollers under level 40 (very obvious they don't know what they're doing when you watch them play in game).

Maybe 1 out of 10 or 20 games will you see a Splat Roller who actually is good with it. The other times you'll see a 'Splat Roller' is the Krak-On variant which is still highly viable mainly because of its loadout. Even then it's still rarer than Carbon from my experience.

With all that said, Splat Roller still has a fantastic place in ranked thanks to it's loadout and the fact that in some modes enemies tend to be close together which actually makes squishing 2 or 3 in a row a very viable tactic.

And yes, I've also noticed how the game loves to group the same weapons together as a team. So finding myself with two other rollers is a very common thing or finding the team with 2 to 3 E-Liters is also another common thng. They really need to reprogram the algorithm to not do this so often.

SupaTim

Prodigal Squid
NNID
SupaTim101
I did see a lot of rollers yesterday. I don't feel threatened by them anymore (unless they are dynamos). So, maybe it isn't that they aren't common anymore (although perhaps there has been a slight drop) but that we don't notice their impact as much anymore.

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
I think it's just a difference in the way people from regions think. Chargers and rollers have always been popular among Japanese players but chargers never took the same popularity with North Americans and Europeans. NA and EU players have always seemed to prefer weapons like the Tentatek or Gal weapons. It's hard to say why NA and EU players are using the rollers less but it's mostly just a difference in the way different regions think.
Actually people in Europe use rollers..they just suck so yeah..Because most of them use the roller a few times but switch to an easier weapon because they don`t know how to use it xD

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
I did see a lot of rollers yesterday. I don't feel threatened by them anymore (unless they are dynamos). So, maybe it isn't that they aren't common anymore (although perhaps there has been a slight drop) but that we don't notice their impact as much anymore.
Dynamos are so scary xD People seem to know how to deal with rollers better....looks like no easy kills for me anymore *sigh*

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
I think in Turf Wars, Splat Roller is arguably the hardest roller to use along with Carbon Deco. The nerfs were pretty fair for the Dynamo IMO. What's not fair is how the other rollers got nerfed as collateral.

What they did was make it such that you have to hit with the center of the roller to get the OHKO. For the flicked ink I agree with that change, but now even when the Splat Roller physically hits the opponent on the way down, if you didn't touch them with around the center 1/3 of the sponge itself, then you wouldn't get an OHKO.

So what the Splat Roller has become in close quarters is a poorer Carbon since a Carbon takes half the time from swing to splat (12f to be exact, Splat Roller takes 24f) and moves faster while rolling too. It's also why you're more likely to see Carbon Rollers (and both Dynamos) in TW than Splat Rollers (that's been my experience).

Also, the meta in Turf Wars has reached a point where you're unlikely to squish anyone with a roller unless you're playing with newbies. That means all 3 roller variants are going to get kills mainly by flicking. Dynamo is fine because the range is great so aiming for the center is totally justified. Carbon has always been designed to kill via flicking + subs.

Splat Roller has become the odd one out and most savvy players have realized that so you rarely see it used in TW. When you do see them, most likely they're Hero Rollers (people who just got the amiibos recently aka newbies) or newbie Splat Rollers under level 40 (very obvious they don't know what they're doing when you watch them play in game).

Maybe 1 out of 10 or 20 games will you see a Splat Roller who actually is good with it. The other times you'll see a 'Splat Roller' is the Krak-On variant which is still highly viable mainly because of its loadout. Even then it's still rarer than Carbon from my experience.

With all that said, Splat Roller still has a fantastic place in ranked thanks to it's loadout and the fact that in some modes enemies tend to be close together which actually makes squishing 2 or 3 in a row a very viable tactic.

And yes, I've also noticed how the game loves to group the same weapons together as a team. So finding myself with two other rollers is a very common thing or finding the team with 2 to 3 E-Liters is also another common thng. They really need to reprogram the algorithm to not do this so often.
As an splat roller main I agree..so there is a roller on the other team. Then I`m getting all hyped up just to notice that they`re trying to roll towards me xD Dynamo is so much better compared to the other rollers tho..

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
It's because the overall skill level of the community is way higher than what it used to be. We've fleshed out the meta, improved our aim tremendously, got used to motion controls and etc. Rollers you can play very well with and the need for good aim has always been pretty low but it doesn't require the good aim than gals need to be effective. Now that everyone has some pretty decent aim, they are opting for 2HKOs from a much greater distance of a gal rather than the ninja flicking shenanigans of a roller.

Not only that, but you have to hit with the width of the roller to OHKO when originally it could kill from a larger range. It allowed you to be a little more sloppy.
Rollers require a lot of aim in certain situations.These days splatting people by jumping over them and flicking is way too difficult to do these days...

Rellek

Inkling Cadet
NNID
RellekEarth
Rollers require a lot of aim in certain situations.These days splatting people by jumping over them and flicking is way too difficult to do these days...
Well if you read I said basically the same thing. Rollers need a little more care in the aiming department. You can't just flail them around anymore and I feel as though people find the investment in better aim is more suited to shooters.

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
Well if you read I said basically the same thing. Rollers need a little more care in the aiming department. You can't just flail them around anymore and I feel as though people find the investment in better aim is more suited to shooters.
Sry English isn`t my first language so I read ur message wrong xD

Airi

Inkling Commander
NNID
radiorabbits
Actually people in Europe use rollers..they just suck so yeah..Because most of them use the roller a few times but switch to an easier weapon because they don`t know how to use it xD
I think that has a lot to do with it for North America and Europe. It's very common for NA and EU players to become a little bit lazy. If a weapon is hard, a lot of us won't put the time and effort into learning it so we move on in order to pick up an easier weapon. It's a bad habit that both our regions need to break. xP It's funny because a lot of people will eventually go back to rollers once they get owned by one in a match and it's just a vicious cycle haha. :P

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
So I've seen a fair few rollers today. Most of them were the type that forget to swing when there's a squiddo standing right in front of them. They must think they can muscle through enemy fire, poor saps.

Are we counting brushes with the rollers? Because they're also something of a rarity (Inkbrushes more so).

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
So I've seen a fair few rollers today. Most of them were the type that forget to swing when there's a squiddo standing right in front of them. They must think they can muscle through enemy fire, poor saps.

Are we counting brushes with the rollers? Because they're also something of a rarity (Inkbrushes more so).
I think that brushes are not rollers because they are well..brushes xD And yeah It`s kinda ridiculous how people try to roll towards you xD

Miirisa

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Miirisa
I think that has a lot to do with it for North America and Europe. It's very common for NA and EU players to become a little bit lazy. If a weapon is hard, a lot of us won't put the time and effort into learning it so we move on in order to pick up an easier weapon. It's a bad habit that both our regions need to break. xP It's funny because a lot of people will eventually go back to rollers once they get owned by one in a match and it's just a vicious cycle haha. :p
Oh my god that`s so true xD

YOJOEHOJO

Inkling
NNID
YOJOEHOJO
I think that has a lot to do with it for North America and Europe. It's very common for NA and EU players to become a little bit lazy. If a weapon is hard, a lot of us won't put the time and effort into learning it so we move on in order to pick up an easier weapon. It's a bad habit that both our regions need to break. xP It's funny because a lot of people will eventually go back to rollers once they get owned by one in a match and it's just a vicious cycle haha. :p
This is unfortunately true, but there are some of us out there that want a little bit of challenge within the realm of mastering their weapon. I personally love the Splat Roller and can't stand the slow thrust of the dynamo. Granted, I've never really given the carbon roller a fair try. Honestly though, I like Splat Rollers because of the fact that they feel like a great middle ground of "wait and hide" as well as "push for ground". You just have to master that middle ground and sure you may die a few times here, but as long as you know when to do what you'll be able to power through it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom