• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

• Hey Guest, the Side Order expansion is now available!

If you're playing the new DLC, please remember to keep your thread titles spoiler free, and use [spoiler] tags for any relevant spoilers in your posts.

Are rollers less used these days?

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
It is funny, I was watching a few matches between Japanese players and stuff like that doesn't seem to happen... If it does, it is harder to notice, at least or it doesn't happen with the players streaming. Western players like us are just "blessed" with having to play Splatoon with varying degrees of lag.

Lag seems to affect the OHKO weapons the most, for obvious reasons. Dynamos, Chargers and the Inkzooka/Kraken specials being the biggest offenders.
Technically it probably does happen to them when they're playing with Western players :p But not as badly since, by and large the lag is likely favoring Japan. Theoretically the game should test net connections to determine which player is to be the "server", and Japan will almost always have the best connection, so the servers are usually the Japanese players in the room, and the other Japanese players should have lan-like connections to the host. So they're not going to lag for each other, but we'll all be laggy to them still. Nintendo really didn't consider Western internet performance when they designed this game, that's for sure! :rolleyes:

Kraken is probably the biggest window into how bad the lag is along with bubbler. When getting hit with a dynamo it's hard to tell sometimes if they REALLY got you or if it was lag. But krakens make it obvious. You hit them dead on, they survive, they flee, then they turn into a kraken and you realize "oooh, that's why I couldn't kill them." As a kraken I've also killed opponents by jumping nowhere near where I saw them standing. :p Chargers, being hitscan based shouldn't have the problems rollers & brushes have. It should be that if it's good on your side, you got them. But not always. The teleportations make it hard to track and predict opponents, and often with chargers I hear the hit sound but never get a kill confirmation. So it's not pure hitscan.

Dynamo's just infuriating because it looks like the full 45 degree arc is all ohko....because it always shows it working that way. :mad:

Reila

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Technically it probably does happen to them when they're playing with Western players :p But not as badly since, by and large the lag is likely favoring Japan. Theoretically the game should test net connections to determine which player is to be the "server", and Japan will almost always have the best connection, so the servers are usually the Japanese players in the room, and the other Japanese players should have lan-like connections to the host. So they're not going to lag for each other, but we'll all be laggy to them still. Nintendo really didn't consider Western internet performance when they designed this game, that's for sure! :rolleyes:

Kraken is probably the biggest window into how bad the lag is along with bubbler. When getting hit with a dynamo it's hard to tell sometimes if they REALLY got you or if it was lag. But krakens make it obvious. You hit them dead on, they survive, they flee, then they turn into a kraken and you realize "oooh, that's why I couldn't kill them." As a kraken I've also killed opponents by jumping nowhere near where I saw them standing. :p Chargers, being hitscan based shouldn't have the problems rollers & brushes have. It should be that if it's good on your side, you got them. But not always. The teleportations make it hard to track and predict opponents, and often with chargers I hear the hit sound but never get a kill confirmation. So it's not pure hitscan.

Dynamo's just infuriating because it looks like the full 45 degree arc is all ohko....because it always shows it working that way. :mad:
I meant in matches of Japanese players playing solely against and with other Japanese players.

As for the kraken, one of these days I had to google if they only kill you by "rolling" or if they only need to swim beside you to splat you, because I was getting tired of hiding from them only to be splatted regardless.

As for chargers, I have been splatted a couple times when the charger player was aiming elsewhere, like, the opposite side of where I was standing.

Award

Squid Savior From the Future
I meant in matches of Japanese players playing solely against and with other Japanese players.

As for the kraken, one of these days I had to google if they only kill you by "rolling" or if they only need to swim beside you to splat you, because I was getting tired of hiding from them only to be splatted regardless.

As for chargers, I have been splatted a couple times when the charger player was aiming elsewhere, like, the opposite side of where I was standing.
LOL, so many times the kraken gets my by swimming by me and jumping some distance ahead of me. But that can't actually happen. Like the dynamo edge 1hko, it's just lag showing us something different. When I first played a kraken weapon when I was new to the game I didn't know about jumping to attack so I kept just bumping into people wondering why nothing happened. :p

Chargers, yeah, I can't recall the last time I was splatted by a charger when the laser WAS pointing anywhere near me. :rolleyes: I expect that for hitscan weapons - if it was clear on there side they get they kill usually (though I can confirm from experience, not always!), but when N-Zaps are pointing 30 degrees to the left and then ohko me through a wall, I know something's wrong o_O

★Forge

Senior Squid
NNID
Slumplush
Depends on the Stage I guess, My main Roller is the KrakOn but I like both Carbon Rollers aswell

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom