Are two shot weapons viable?

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
Now that bamboozler and the new nozzle came out, I figured now would be a good time to theorize the viability of two shot weapons! So, are weapons like the rapid blaster, bamboozler, nozzlenose, and the slosher viable? And what seperates them in terms of how "good" they are?

Charlight

Meme Spy
I really think the bamboozler has a lot of potential - 99.9 damage with damage ups + same distance regardless of charge. Slosher is probably one of the best weapons in this game right now - with damage ups a bomb and a slosh can kill, even in general two sloshes are really powerful.

Two shot weapons are definitely viable, they just need a little bit of technique/strategy and teamwork to use.

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
....yes....The nozzlenose is fast both in kills and mobility. I believe the speed of the Aerospray. Also the Nozzle D with Burstbombs is even less frames and only gets faster with Damage Up.

I only used the regular nozzle in ranked and have no problems getting back to back kills.

2 hits don't mean anything to me.

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
But what differentiates those weapons from the rapid blaster?

Charlight

Meme Spy
That the rapid blaster takes 2 direct or 3-4 indirect shots that are hard to land to kill, a very small explosion and a relatively short range. (compared to other blasters)

Edit: Whoops, brainfarted on the range. Sorry!

Last edited:

dukevin

Senior Squid
NNID
dukevin
and a relatively short range. (compared to other blasters)
rapid blaster has as much range as the range blaster.
I don't think rapid blaster is bad at all in the right hands. There's just a huge learning curve but once mastered, can be devistating

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
But what differentiates those weapons from the rapid blaster?

The Nozzlenose will always kill in four hits or two trigger presses if you have skilled accuracy. No amount of Defense/Damage UP will change this. The Nozzle also has respectable range and gives the player some of the best firing mobility in the game. and again with the Nozzle D the frames to kill is even less with Burst bombs.

I don't think the ranged blaster is bad, I just think few people have figured it out.

Charlight

Meme Spy
I don't think rapid blaster is bad at all in the right hands. There's just a huge learning curve but once mastered, can be devistating
Really? Sorry, I misremembered then. My point was that from my experience with blasters it gets overshadowed by other blasters, but then again, I don't play blasters too often.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The Rapid Blaster has more range than any Blaster (I haven't compared it to Shooters to get an estimate yet, but I'll take a wild guess and say it's around Dual Squelcher range)

Mondrae205

Senior Squid
The reason the rapid blaster is bad is that when you use a blaster you have to jump, when you jump the weapon has bad aim, try it in training and see how inaccurate it is, it also needs to direct hit, unlike the bucket. Also people have mentioned how good its range is and that is BAD. Its effective rang is too far and is hard to hit someone with. Miss or even hit and they can get in on you and it will be very hard to kill them before they kill you. It comes with ink mines which are one of the worst subs in the game and bubbler, which is good.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The reason the rapid blaster is bad is that when you use a blaster you have to jump, when you jump the weapon has bad aim, try it in training and see how inaccurate it is, it also needs to direct hit, unlike the bucket. Also people have mentioned how good its range is and that is BAD. Its effective rang is too far and is hard to hit someone with. Miss or even hit and they can get in on you and it will be very hard to kill them before they kill you. It comes with ink mines which are one of the worst subs in the game and bubbler, which is good.
Well, maybe you should try to keep the enemy within the area of the blast (either by pushing forward or falling back). Last time I fought a Rapid Blaster I was never able to do anything about it since I couldn't get in range without taking a shot, leaving me vulnerable to any enemy nearby (especially the one already shooting me). It's one of the few weapons I'm a bit glad I don't see often because I can't really think of a way to fight it aside of the classic "flank or surprise attack", which is pretty much a given on any weapon anyways

[EJ]_Locke

Inkling Commander
NNID
EJ_Locke
yeah, i have to agree, rapid blaster is a worse weapon then the others because of the small hitbox that makes it tough to get a direct shot. The funny thing is, i was just grinding for S+ today, and i noticed the rapid blaster is becoming surprisingly more common. Most of the two shot weapons i have encountered (except for bamboozler) have been able to succeed in S lobbies because they used it as a pressure tool. Forinstance, in Arowana Mall, on the ramp that leads to the zone, there is a small shelf (for lack of a better word, damn we need universal callouts) that some snipers commonly use as a safe method of dealing with enemies in the zone. The snipers are safe because all they have to do is a short hop and the amount of time in which weapons can hit them is minimal. So, I saw a rapid blaster doing exactly that, and he was landing free kills on us if we were in the zone. I tried to snipe him (I am a squiffer), but I simply could not concentrate, and I died. So, assumably if you had a retreat option nearby, you stayed the perfect distance away from the frontline, you could make a living in ranked off of rapid blaster.

Mondrae205

Senior Squid
Well, maybe you should try to keep the enemy within the area of the blast (either by pushing forward or falling back). Last time I fought a Rapid Blaster I was never able to do anything about it since I couldn't get in range without taking a shot, leaving me vulnerable to any enemy nearby (especially the one already shooting me). It's one of the few weapons I'm a bit glad I don't see often because I can't really think of a way to fight it aside of the classic "flank or surprise attack", which is pretty much a given on any weapon anyways
That sounds like a case of someone with great movement and position against someone without it. Obviously there are situations where you can't challenge it. It is only bad in the sense that there are better weapons. Any weapon in this game can be used to a degree, rapid blaster has its problems but its not useless.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
Sure. Any weapon can be good "in the right hands". But Rapid Blaster is still possibly the worst weapon in the game. Sure, it can do things. But everything it does is completely outclassed by the custom blaster. If someone is good enough to use the rapid blaster effectively, they'd be better suited playing the custom blaster.

Also, nintendo messed up big time by not calling it the Faster Blaster

Charlight

Meme Spy
Sure. Any weapon can be good "in the right hands". But Rapid Blaster is still possibly the worst weapon in the game. Sure, it can do things. But everything it does is completely outclassed by the custom blaster. If someone is good enough to use the rapid blaster effectively, they'd be better suited playing the custom blaster.

Also, nintendo messed up big time by not calling it the Faster Blaster
... Well, not necessarily. On paper, the rapid blaster is more powerful than the custom. It has a longer range and x2 faster fire rate, meaning with perfect aim it's more powerful than the custom blaster. It really is just the skill it requires that makes it less viable than the other blasters.

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
... Well, not necessarily. On paper, the rapid blaster is more powerful than the custom. It has a longer range and x2 faster fire rate, meaning with perfect aim it's more powerful than the custom blaster. It really is just the skill it requires that makes it less viable than the other blasters.
What does the faster rate even do for this weapon? Besides build specail. It takes 2 hits to direct or 4 indirects to kill, while the Custom takes 1 direct and 2 indirects to kill. The custom has point sensor, which is an amazing support sub and bubble, something we all know about. While they share the same specail, the rapid blaster has the ink mine; the worst sub in the game.

Look at this TTK Spread

Blaster: 13 / 25 / 51
Luna Blaster: 13 / 23 / 41
Splattershot: 15 / 22 / 6
.96 Gal: 16 / 24 / 13
N-ZAP '85: 18 / 25 / 5
Splash-O-Matic: 18 / 25 / 5
Splattershot Jr: 18 / 25 / 5
Aerospray: 19 / 26 / 4
Splattershot Pro: 19 / 27 / 8
Dual Squelcher: 21 / 29 / 6
L-3 Nozzlenose: 21 / 28 / 4
Splat Roller: 22 / x / 22
Inkbrush: 26 / x / 7
Jet Squelcher: 27 / 38 / 8
Rapid Blaster: 46 / 62 / 35

It is a thousand times slower; straight booty. Any player can run away from the rapid blaster, any player can out gun the rapid blaster, with a spread like that. The same can't be said for the other blasters.

I see people try to say, so many of these "questionable" weapons, just require "more skill." There comes a point, where a weapon requires so much skill, it becomes the player doing all the work, and the weapon doing none of it; ie the weapon is just that bad. It has nothing going for it, no real stats, no niche etc. This is just one of those bad weapons and no amount of skill is going to turn it into a "good weapon."

This doesn't mean you can't use it, its just not a good weapon; at all.

Last edited:

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
If by "more powerfu"l you mean "takes twice as long to kill" then sure.

And yes, it does require more skill to use well. Skill which translates just as easily to the custom blaster, which will give you better results.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
On the Rapid Blaster vs. Custom Blaster issue: the difference in range usually becomes a very big factor when fighting enemies with long range weapons. I often use the Jet Squelcher or the Heavy Splatling and have no trouble dealing with most blasters (haven't fought a Range Blaster yet, so I can't comment on it), but whenever I see a Rapid Blaster I'm more often than not having trouble dealing with them to the point where I just try to avoid them. Besides, if all we're going to take into account is "how fast can this weapon splat" to know which weapons are good and which are not maybe we're doing it wrong

Also, I think if you get enough Damage Ups you can make the Rapid Blaster splat enemies in 2 undirect hits consistently, but there's more to the weapon than just its splatting potential

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
Looking at the ranges here...
Rapid blaster range = 43
Heavy splatling = 73
Jet S = 80

The blaster should be dead, before he steps within his own kill range. And even if he some how manages to get close enough, your TTK is fast enough to easily out gun him. Your problem isn't the weapon its self, it is your position and maybe even the skill difference.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Looking at the ranges here...
Rapid blaster range = 43
Heavy splatling = 73
Jet S = 80

The blaster should be dead, before he steps within his own kill range. And even if he some how manages to get close enough, your TTK is fast enough to easily out gun him. Your problem isn't the weapon its self, it is your position and maybe even the skill difference.
I don't trust those numbers, I'm pretty sure that the Heavy Splatling can shoot as far as the Jet Squelcher; and like I said it's not always just about splatting the enemy. Anyways, didn't you get the ones on the Custom Blaster to compare?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom