Are two shot weapons viable?

Hinichii.ez.™

Is Splatoon an E-Sport or just a meme?
I don't trust those numbers, I'm pretty sure that the Heavy Splatling can shoot as far as the Jet Squelcher; and like I said it's not always just about splatting the enemy. Anyways, didn't you get the ones on the Custom Blaster to compare?
The numbers come from the wiki, backed by the offical guide. The numbers don't lie. Reg/C blaster has 32 range, so yea sure, its got less range, but that sub and clearly superior TTK, more than make up for it.

Charlight

Meme Spy
What does the faster rate even do for this weapon? Besides build specail. It takes 2 hits to direct or 4 indirects to kill, while the Custom takes 1 direct and 2 indirects to kill. The custom has point sensor, which is an amazing support sub and bubble, something we all know about. While they share the same specail, the rapid blaster has the ink mine; the worst sub in the game.

Look at this TTK Spread

Blaster: 13 / 25 / 51
Luna Blaster: 13 / 23 / 41
Splattershot: 15 / 22 / 6
.96 Gal: 16 / 24 / 13
N-ZAP '85: 18 / 25 / 5
Splash-O-Matic: 18 / 25 / 5
Splattershot Jr: 18 / 25 / 5
Aerospray: 19 / 26 / 4
Splattershot Pro: 19 / 27 / 8
Dual Squelcher: 21 / 29 / 6
L-3 Nozzlenose: 21 / 28 / 4
Splat Roller: 22 / x / 22
Inkbrush: 26 / x / 7
Jet Squelcher: 27 / 38 / 8
Rapid Blaster: 46 / 62 / 35

It is a thousand times slower; straight booty. Any player can run away from the rapid blaster, any player can out gun the rapid blaster, with a spread like that. The same can't be said for the other blasters.

I see people try to say, so many of these "questionable" weapons, just require "more skill." There comes a point, where a weapon requires so much skill, it becomes the player doing all the work, and the weapon doing none of it; ie the weapon is just that bad. It has nothing going for it, no real stats, no niche etc. This is just one of those bad weapons and no amount of skill is going to turn it into a "good weapon."
Point sensor is an okay support, bubbler is arguably a mid-tier special (depending on the game mode you're playing). There is also the Rapid Blaster deco - with the suction bomb and suction bomb rush (suction bomb rush is probably one of the best specials in the game, right after inkzooka - again, depends on the game mode).

I don't really understand that TTK Spread. Could you label it? Also, there seem to be a few weapons missing - I'm not really sure where you got it from, you should rather check a datamine spreadsheet)
From here you can see that yeah, a rapid blaster's TTK is higher than a blaster's TTK, as it needs 2 direct hits.

Judging by the ingame stats (taken from the wiki), the rapid blaster has a fire rate of 48/100 while the custom blaster has a fire rate of 20/100. This probably incorporates endlag as well as the time it takes to fire after you click ZR. Do with that what you will.

This doesn't mean you can't use it, its just not a good weapon; at all.
I've seen some really good rapid blaster users that destroyed me in ranked. Of course it's not suitable for every sutiation, you just need to develop a strategy on how, when, where and in which game mode you should be using it - the game encourages you to try out different weapons for different game modes and rotations.

If by "more powerfu"l you mean "takes twice as long to kill" then sure.

And yes, it does require more skill to use well. Skill which translates just as easily to the custom blaster, which will give you better results.
As said before, the game encourages you to use different weapons for different situations. I bet longer range and faster TTK with direct shots compared to two misses with the custom blaster translates to it being useful somewhere, not to mention, the suction bomb rush is an amazing special.

I'm not saying the weapon isn't ****, I'm saying I've seen some players be good with it and trying to assess how/why.

A cool strategy would be to use a blaster when a rotation great for Dynamo comes on.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
From here you can see that yeah, a rapid blaster's TTK is higher than a blaster's TTK, as it needs 2 direct hits.
All Blasters aside of the Rapid Blaster only require one shot to splat, so the TTK would be the time it takes for the shot to hit the target, while the Rapid Blaster needs to hit the target twice, so its TTK would be the time it takes for both shots to hit the target + the time it takes to shoot again (although it overlaps with the time it takes the first shot to hit, but let's not overthink it more than necessary). That said, the Rapid Blaster is more forgivable on a complete miss since the follow-up shot comes quicker and each shot should consume less ink.

Anyways, I'm a bit tired of the arguing so I'll just say take the Range Blaster if you don't like the Rapid Blaster, the difference in range isn't much anyways

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
Rapid Blaster is the only 2 shot weapon I see outclassed by other weapons for reasons stated above. Nozzlenose, Bamboozler and Slosher I think are totally viable.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
I think the .52 Gal is pretty good.

But really the point is that it's not the number of hits that matters, but the Time-To-Kill. The 'Rapid' Blaster is not actually all that rapid, in fact it's the slowest TTK in the game besides Chargers and Dynamo, and those weapons have other redeeming qualities to offer. What does the Rapid Blaster have going for it at all, really?

Nozzlenose is pretty quick on the other hand, and while the Slosher is a little on the slow side it's not nearly as bad, especially with Burst Bombs.

Bamboozler, IDK about. Seems like there's some trickery you can do after stacking Damage Ups, allowing you to kill with a charged shot followed by just a quick uncharged shot, or two half-charges. But I have no idea what the numbers are like on that. Maybe it's not trash, but my gut tells me it's probably not a good weapon, either.

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
The rapid blaster is great! It shines when you know how to play it right, the thing is blaster mains don't like the rapid blaster because you can't play it like a blaster. Jump Shots are not viable, you will die if you try to rush someone, you will die if you try to assasinate somebody. the way you play rapid blaster is to stay alive and pressure the opponents. your range is outclassed only by a few of the shooters: the squelchers, and the .96. i'm pretty sure you outrange the .52 tho. this weapons survivability is crazy good. if you stay at the end of your range and retreat when any opponent gets near ( a hard feat considering the rapid fire rate) you'll be a huge asset to your team, constantly dealing support damage ( lowering your teammate's stk) allowing super jump locations.and quite honestly inking a lot of ground. Building your special in the process which will allow you to survive any breaks in your defense, or give your team the bubbler and watch them wreak havoc. if you play the deco, the suction bombs honestly eat too much ink to be incredibly useful, you'd be better off constantly firing shots, but the special is absolutely great for turf war and splat zones. Damage up is your friend. with enough damage up you can consistently splat in 2-3 hits of the weak hit. tower control is brain dead for this weapon. stay at your max range and shoot the tower, nobody can stay on for longer than 2 seconds and you're out of range of the majority of weapons.

The rapid blaster isn't the best weapon in the game, but it definitely has a niche, as a support weapon. I would say the rapid blaster is the BEST support weapon, the constant pressure is so immense fully helpful. the best part is it's easy to play support with this weapon. you don't need somebody to protect you, you don't need to communicate with them at all just stay out of range and shoot as much as you can.

Now what I'm interested in is what the rapid blaster pros will do.

AnchorTea

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
AnchorageTea
I think the .52 Gal is pretty good.

But really the point is that it's not the number of hits that matters, but the Time-To-Kill. The 'Rapid' Blaster is not actually all that rapid, in fact it's the slowest TTK in the game besides Chargers and Dynamo, and those weapons have other redeeming qualities to offer. What does the Rapid Blaster have going for it at all, really?

Nozzlenose is pretty quick on the other hand, and while the Slosher is a little on the slow side it's not nearly as bad, especially with Burst Bombs.

Bamboozler, IDK about. Seems like there's some trickery you can do after stacking Damage Ups, allowing you to kill with a charged shot followed by just a quick uncharged shot, or two half-charges. But I have no idea what the numbers are like on that. Maybe it's not trash, but my gut tells me it's probably not a good weapon, either.
I personally think that the importance of TTK shouldn't be used to define the powers of the Blasters and Chargers, because comparing them to Rollers, Brushes, a bucket, and the typical Automatic Ink-Shooters... It's pretty different. Charger's don't really require the Inkling to be too close, but not too far. And your opponents can see where you are even before you shoot, which is a bit of an oddball since you're suppose to be sneaky with the Charger. (Bamboo isn't a charger, technically it is, but it should never be treated like it). And Blaster shoot Ink Fireworks, they have a large hurtbox when they explode. Making it easy to kill, not because of the TTK. Because the Blaster can be good at attacking the weak-spots/exposed parts when facing another Inkling, even be a little manipulative. The reason the Rapid Blaster sucks, is because Nintendo thinks that the weapon that looks closest to a real gun should be weak, and it is a poorly made weapon in general.

Just a food for thought.

missingno

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Pronouns
he/him
NNID
missingno
Switch Friend Code
SW-6539-1393-3018
Well I did say that Chargers have other strengths to make up for the lack of speed, it's no big deal for them.. But the Rapid Blaster really doesn't, it sucks at everything.

AnchorTea

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
AnchorageTea
Well I did say that Chargers have other strengths to make up for the lack of speed, it's no big deal for them.. But the Rapid Blaster really doesn't, it sucks at everything.
That's why I said it was a food for thought.

Because... well.... it IS a food for thought basically.

PHYTO-1

Pro Squid
NNID
PHYTO-1
if we're going by pure numbers then yea, the rapid blaster stinks.

but i've been having success in turf wars with swim speed ups and just shooting > swim > repeat. run circles around people and leave ink mines, i usually try to rush their base in an attempt to stall them so my teammates can secure the middle.

my point is...i'm sure someone will come up with a half decent strat for these underrated weapons

MakesDream

Inkling Cadet
NNID
ToastMiller
The Rapid blasters strength is it's range and ability to control an area. think of it as constant burst bomb rush, whose purpose is to pressure the opponent and not necessarily wipe them out. If you play a game with a whole team that's built top get the most team fighting against a team built to get the most kills you're going to trade a lot. In splatoon staying alive is CRUCIAL more so than getting kills. yes getting kills helps, but only because it decreses their current live players on the battlefield, the rapid blasters job is not to kill enemies, it's a defensive wall of attack that is hard to punish when played correctly. providing you team with a member that is able to safely ink an area ( or attack the tower ) from a distance. This allows your players to superjump to you, since you're in a backwards often safer position that other shooters would normally be. While I'm at it let me say how great this weapon is at camping super jumps, the range is great and doesn't affect the accuracy (some shooters have good range but are very innacurate at their max range) usually whenever i want to camp a super jump location, they end up dead.

Just because the weapon isn't meant for kills, you'll get a lot of them. People will try to challenge you and if you're aware of when you're in control and when they start to gain ground ( retreat at this option ) you can wipe them out. last night the map rotation was triggerfish and walleye sz's. and boy let me tell you triggerfish splatzones is heaven for the rapid blaster deco. from your sz you can control the entrance to the opponents zone, and your own sides flank. I went 11-2 one match, not counting assists. probably one of the more strategic weapons, and not a force to be taken lightly.

Power

Inkling Commander
The Rapid blasters strength is it's range and ability to control an area. think of it as constant burst bomb rush, whose purpose is to pressure the opponent and not necessarily wipe them out. If you play a game with a whole team that's built top get the most team fighting against a team built to get the most kills you're going to trade a lot. In splatoon staying alive is CRUCIAL more so than getting kills. yes getting kills helps, but only because it decreses their current live players on the battlefield, the rapid blasters job is not to kill enemies, it's a defensive wall of attack that is hard to punish when played correctly. providing you team with a member that is able to safely ink an area ( or attack the tower ) from a distance. This allows your players to superjump to you, since you're in a backwards often safer position that other shooters would normally be. While I'm at it let me say how great this weapon is at camping super jumps, the range is great and doesn't affect the accuracy (some shooters have good range but are very innacurate at their max range) usually whenever i want to camp a super jump location, they end up dead.

Just because the weapon isn't meant for kills, you'll get a lot of them. People will try to challenge you and if you're aware of when you're in control and when they start to gain ground ( retreat at this option ) you can wipe them out. last night the map rotation was triggerfish and walleye sz's. and boy let me tell you triggerfish splatzones is heaven for the rapid blaster deco. from your sz you can control the entrance to the opponents zone, and your own sides flank. I went 11-2 one match, not counting assists. probably one of the more strategic weapons, and not a force to be taken lightly.
I have not tested rapid blaster out, but this is what I had in mind in terms of its viability. I am pretty sure that other two shot weapons will find their niche in which it must be abused to successful.

MrL1193

Inkling Cadet
The numbers come from the wiki, backed by the offical guide. The numbers don't lie. Reg/C blaster has 32 range, so yea sure, its got less range, but that sub and clearly superior TTK, more than make up for it.
You're right that the Blaster has less range than the Rapid Blaster. However, if those numbers refer to the in-game stat bars, you should bear in mind that those aren't proportional between weapons. They would have you believe that the Nozzlenose's range is only a bit longer than that of the Splattershot and significantly less than that of the Splattershot Pro, but in reality, it is much closer to the Splattershot Pro in range. The stat bars can give you a general idea of a weapon's capabilities, but they're no substitute for actual hands-on testing.

Mondrae205

Senior Squid
Remember to not base on how good or bad a weapon is based on a single experience. If you went 11-2 one match it does not mean a weapon is good, it means that your opponents did not know how or could not fight you. If you consistently do well at a high rank then it shows skill and understanding.

When you do well with a weapon you have to think about why. Did you simply have the range advantage and they couldn't approach you head on or flank? That shows weakness in your opponents. There a lot of factors that could lead you to doing well with a subpar weapon and not looking at those means that you aren't doing anyone a favor.

flc

Inkling Commander
NNID
fiveleafclover
The Rapid blasters strength is it's range and ability to control an area. think of it as constant burst bomb rush, whose purpose is to pressure the opponent and not necessarily wipe them out. If you play a game with a whole team that's built top get the most team fighting against a team built to get the most kills you're going to trade a lot.
the only pressure I feel from a rapid blaster is the pressure of beating the rest of my team to the kill when we all minrange it

rapid blasters can't do **** against anyone who actually knows how bad they are

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom