• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Are you going to take future splatfests seriously now that we know how winners are judged?

How are you going to do future Spaltfests?

• Pick the most likely popular pick but don't go out of my way to get wins

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Pick the most likely popular pick and try my hardest to get wins for it

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Pick my favorite choice but don't go out of my way to get wins

Votes: 14 11.9%
  • Pick my favorite choice and try my hardest to get wins for it

Votes: 90 76.3%
  • Not going to future Splatfests

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
So I've been hearing a lot of talk from a couple places how they feel popularity shouldn't be a deciding factor, or how it had too big of an impact on which team ultimately won.

I heard some people are going to only go for the popular choices now. Or they are going to not even bother too much with splatfests. People who were previously getting like 20 and 50 streaks I heard aren't going to try as hard.

So I was wondering how you guys were going to handle it?

I personally am still going to pick my personal favorite of the two choices and try my hardest to get wins.

Summerlycoris

Inkster Jr.
NNID
summerlycoris
I'm going to just keep trying. Picking the team I like the most (Or, if none appeal, Callies team. :P) and winning as much as I can.
Only thing I'll try and not do is continue playing when I'm in a sour mood. Don't tend to do well then. But I wasn't sure how long it'd take to get to the max rank, so I kept going even when I wanted to take a break. I think that helped offset my win streak towards the end, since I'd lost so much at the start.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'm going to just keep trying. Picking the team I like the most (Or, if none appeal, Callies team. :p) and winning as much as I can.
Only thing I'll try and not do is continue playing when I'm in a sour mood. Don't tend to do well then. But I wasn't sure how long it'd take to get to the max rank, so I kept going even when I wanted to take a break. I think that helped offset my win streak towards the end, since I'd lost so much at the start.
Yeah, if none of them work for me, I will just pick Callie's! <3

Also yeah, I'm always worried how much I offset my win streak when I lose. Though it will of course never be negative as long as there are still flags are up so I don't have to worry too much about that on my end. But I will keep trying to get those wins.

Squadaloo

Full Squid
NNID
RodRodney
I'm still going to pick my favorite, but I'm not going to try my hardest. I'm not as upset at the scoring as some people are, but it does make it less fun to know that all three splatfests were basically decided before anybody even played a single match. Maybe if it were 20% popularity, 80% wins, it would sting a little less even if it were still decided by popular vote. With the current system, it just feels like the less popular team is at an insurmountable deficit from the start.

Waffle

Inkling
NNID
wafflelf
Personally, I was extremely happy to see that my team (cats) won more matches, even if we lost the overall Splatfest.

I think my motivation during a Splatfest will depend on how much I want to support my team. I'm a cat person, so I had a cause worth fighting for. If it were bread v rice... I'm not so sure. I'd still play, but probably not as passionately.

papaya

Inkster Jr.
I will pick my favorite choice and do my absolute best, just like I did for Team Cat. Besides, being the winning team doesn't make much of a difference; you still can get a really nice amount of Super Sea Snails if you reach the King/Queen rank.

Figy

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Hummana
You really cant always tell which team is going to be more popular. Even though i had a long win streak for cats and lost, i was playing to max out and losing to popularity doesn't change which team ill choose in the future because ill still choose the team i actually like. I think it's more of a chance if you're looking for the win by picking based on popularity.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
Go with my favorite team.

Last edited:

V-kun

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
V-kunGX
People were complaining about the judging? Really? Man people really cry about everything...
I think the judging was fine. It gives a fighting chance to the side who doesn't do to well in actual battle.
I will continue to play during Splatfest as i did this one. Nothing will change with me or my methods.
Pick my fave, fight, that's it.

Prime 2.0

Inkling
NNID
PrimeV2
If I was going to pick anything other than my favorite choice, it would have to be an organized thing, like getting a bunch of people to pre-commit to picking the choice on the right before we even know what it'll be.

Funen1

Full Squid
NNID
Funen1
I will pick my favorite side if only because I still want to remain true to myself - even if we could've found out what the popular vote was at any given time, I still would've picked Cats. However, I don't see any reason to keep playing after maxing my rank with the rules as they stand now. There's not enough emphasis on how high your team's win percentage is, the math just doesn't work that way. And given how many matches must have been held throughout the day, even a handful of players on one side getting a high Vibe Meter rating likely isn't going to affect the results much at all (I saw a good deal of Team Dog players get into the 30s and 40s, and of course GeneraLight getting to 99, yet Cats still got more wins).

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Won't necessarily take it seriously, but I will do my best for my preference in future Splatfests. It's still just Turf Wars after all and you only get Super Sea Snails to reroll/add slots to gear, which you can already do if you have enough money. I feel like the Super Sea Snails should do something different like reroll a single slot because as it is right now, there doesn't seem to be anything special about them.

Marraphy

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Marraph
I would give my life for Team Cat

I'll definitely still try my hardest in future splatfests, though after I hit max rank I'm not gonna worry so much about winning; I'd just keep playing for the heck of it / to get money

KiD InK

Inkster Jr.
NNID
HymeTime47
Unless I have a strong opinion on the choices I enjoy going what my friends choose. I got the game to play with them so it makes sense. The shells are so minimal in impact. I got the 24 and I still don't have 'perfect gear'. It's completely up to luck.

51 to 49 basically means the teams were even. They either rounded up or down. Not to mention when we played I faced at least 25-30 dog teams that did nothing to the overall win %

Choose your favorite or choose to play with friends. 18 vs 24 shells is not that big of a difference

Blue24

Inkling Commander
NNID
bluebomber2425
I like to be fired up when I play. In general, I go with what I like. If I don't have an opinion I go for the least popular because I am a slimy little hipster and that's what I do.

To me 6 sea snails feels like a 1% increase in roll luck on one equip anyway.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
I'm still going to follow my gut feeling and give it my all. And if I'm not entirely attached to a Splatfest's topic, I'll give Marie the benefit of the doubt.

I may or may not harass my brother to pick the same thing as me.

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
Fighting for what you believe in is the only right way to do it. It's just not fun otherwise.

Don't forget that it's not really easy to guess which side is going to win. When Rock v Pop was announced, I felt sure that Pop would take it (because pop is, by nature, very popular). Then the Miiverse posts started and my sister and I noticed they were mostly Rock to begin with, but were replaced by Pop as the week went on... It was impossible to call until I'd spent a while battling and realised there weren't enough people playing Pop for us to battle against.

Citrus

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Sylvalum
I think people are taking it a bit too seriously. It's not some big tourney. It's just a Turf war celebration. I'm just gonna have fun with it.

Phobos

Inkling Commander
I'll take it precisely as seriously as I just took it, which was not very - it's just a bit of fun, and I'll enjoy it for what it is; win or lose, there's a decent prize at the end of it - I don't care all that much about how the winner is decided. I do care that the matchmaking problems clearly haven't been fixed - far too much 4 v 1, which isn't fun at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom