• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Are you going to take future splatfests seriously now that we know how winners are judged?

How are you going to do future Spaltfests?

• Pick the most likely popular pick but don't go out of my way to get wins

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Pick the most likely popular pick and try my hardest to get wins for it

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Pick my favorite choice but don't go out of my way to get wins

Votes: 14 11.9%
  • Pick my favorite choice and try my hardest to get wins for it

Votes: 90 76.3%
  • Not going to future Splatfests

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters

Njok

Bouncer
No, the winning team gets +6. I was on the winning team and got 24, whereas a top-rank losing team member got 18.
Sorry, but i think one of us is not understanding it correct. As far as i know: top rank got 12 snails. For the winners those snails were doubled (24), the losers got 6 extra for reaching top rank (18).

Your reasoning gets you to the same number, but if i'm not mistaken this bottom ranks of the losers did not get anything extra. So being bottom rank on losers team would get you half of bottom rank on winning team.

Las7

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
Las7man
Just going to choose whatever I want and get King Rank, it's not worth the effort otherwise since it's a big popularity contest.

DonkaFjord

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
DonkaFjord
People were complaining about the judging? Really? Man people really cry about everything...
I think the judging was fine. It gives a fighting chance to the side who doesn't do to well in actual battle.
I will continue to play during Splatfest as i did this one. Nothing will change with me or my methods.
Pick my fave, fight, that's it.
The problem was that the less popular team was already at a disadvantage because the matchmaker would sometimes match a full team of the popular team versus a partial team of the less popular team. It basically gives them easy wins and the popularity score at the end punishes the less popular team a second time. It's impressive team cat won enough matches to offset the disadvantage.

BluEyes

Senior Squid
Typical nintendo logic ala MK8. "Punish you for being in the lead with blue shell!!" i am not sure what message they are sending across by giving popular vote the overall win. It kind of disrespects the hours poured in by our feline lovers to grind out that 1% lead. I for one will not take it seriously the next time. I will vote then when splatfest comes, play a few matches and probably catch a movie or go cycling.

Zoot

Inkling Commander
NNID
IveGotAMegaphone
Well now we know the next NA theme, it looks like they're going for deliberately hard-to-guess.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
I'm only going to pick roller coasters because I suffer from aquaphobia, so I would choose that anyway regardless of how many go for a certain team.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
No chance that I'm siding with something I'm legitimately terrified of. Water slides all the way.

ShinyTogetic

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Maikaru
Switch Friend Code
SW-3468-6485-0599
I like both but I've been on roller coasters the most so idk..

EL KAAPO

Inkling
NNID
Pee-G.quatro20
the fact that popularity adds points is a bit bias imo. its kinda like saying "just go with the cool guys you can win".
you still get a nice amount of super snail tho for ranking up during splatfest.

Travelingpik

Full Squid
NNID
travelingpik
It's just a turf war fest like someone said. Ill choose my favorites and 'work hard' i guess. I just prefer winning anyways. That being said, 3 maps/1 song/1 mode the entire day bores me so I might just get highest rank and quit.

zmop

Inkling Cadet
NNID
zorgmop
completing the mundane task of king or whatever it will be will net you guaranteed 12 super sea snails. no need to take it seriously.

Zero Meddler

Inkling Cadet
I like both but I've been on roller coasters the most so idk..
When in doubt, pick based on ink color. XD

My main issue is how much of a role popularity CAN sway the score. Perhaps another 2 Splatfests will show how much it can. Honestly though, after getting 10 Snails and realizing how much money I'm saving by using them, I will only take getting max rank seriously. Although, I've been very protective over them. Why? Well, my first reroll (one I paid for mind you) ended up giving me ONE change in the gear I rerolled. It replaced Defense Up with Damage Up and switched the places of my Quick Respawns. Since then, I've been VERY protective over them and vowed not to use them for rerolls until I get more to safely use.

tl;dr- I only care about getting to max rank.

Last edited:

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
Typical nintendo logic ala MK8. "Punish you for being in the lead with blue shell!!" i am not sure what message they are sending across by giving popular vote the overall win. It kind of disrespects the hours poured in by our feline lovers to grind out that 1% lead. I for one will not take it seriously the next time. I will vote then when splatfest comes, play a few matches and probably catch a movie or go cycling.
It isn't even remotely the same. Poplularity has almost nothing to do with the win rate of the other team.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
Both teams got shells. Winning team got 24 shells at Max rank, losing team got 18 at Max rank.
And for this reason no one should be salty about the winning/losing team. Put in work and you still get a lot of shells. 6 shells is 180k which is like a day of playing Splatoon.

BluEyes

Senior Squid
Poplularity has almost nothing to do with the win rate of the other team.
thats my point actually. There should not be an overall winner. Wins by vote. And Wins by rate. Wins by rate should be equally rewarded because do you not think voting is so so so much EASIER than playing? LOL.

Hope

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Agrexis
thats my point actually. There should not be an overall winner. Wins by vote. And Wins by rate. Wins by rate should be equally rewarded because do you not think voting is so so so much EASIER than playing? LOL.
But here's the thing. Making it so there is still a group of winners that are determined by popularity does nothing to solve the problem a lot of people have with the current system, that people get more snails for their team being more popular.

Wins by rate are more heavily weighted than popularity by a factor of two, so there is no need to, very sarcastically by the way, state that they should be equally rewarded. Also for me, playing and winning the vast majority of my games is easier than predicting the more popular team. But one person cannot carry their team so I guess you are technically right.

Kaliafornia

Splatin' through Inkopolis with my woes....
NNID
Kaliafornia
I disagree because wins by rate is essentially ranked and the whole point of turf is to encourage causal players and the masses. Also win rate can and will be effected by the skills of players on your team which is why in ranked you are (generally) matched with people of the same rank. "Good" players would definitely complain if their "win rates" were being brought down. Likewise casual players who aren't rank motivated wouldn't want to play as rank discourages those people. I think it further complicates things more. Nintendo made it pretty fair already by making the prizes pretty much level based and not skill based. Winning team gets only 6 extra seasnails which in the grand scheme of things isn't a big deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom