• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Are you going to take future splatfests seriously now that we know how winners are judged?

How are you going to do future Spaltfests?

• Pick the most likely popular pick but don't go out of my way to get wins

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Pick the most likely popular pick and try my hardest to get wins for it

Votes: 6 5.1%
  • Pick my favorite choice but don't go out of my way to get wins

Votes: 14 11.9%
  • Pick my favorite choice and try my hardest to get wins for it

Votes: 90 76.3%
  • Not going to future Splatfests

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters

Tigurr

Inkster Jr.
NNID
disasterbreak
I knew Pop wouldn't get as many votes (not from looking at Miiverse posts or anything, just a gut feeling - it's not seen as cool to be a Pop fan), but I voted for it anyway and tried my best.

I do think the popularity thing having so much weight is kind of pointless, but regardless, I'll always pick the choice I like best and play just the same as I did this time. It wouldn't be as fun otherwise, and if I wasn't having fun I wouldn't be able to reach max rank in the first place. Plus, I feel like on a personal enjoyment level it might not be so good to be on the overpopulated team. I wouldn't want to be fighting so many matches against my own team.

I'll probably always be able to make my own choice even if I'm not that passionate about it (I'm not that passionate about music genres, for a start) but if it comes to it I'd pick Team Marie if I was really stuck, I guess.

Mazzle

Inkling
NNID
Mazzle
I'll still pick what I prefer and I always play as good as I can.
Others rely on me and I can't just stare at a wall and paint some testicles at a wall

SkyBlue

Inkling Commander
With how re-rollings rng works, for some 6 more snails would be just what they needed, but most of the time they won't make a difference. thus I'm just gonna pick the team that I like more. If it ever comes down between two things I don't like at all, then I'll either choose the one I hate the least or choose the one I feel more people like.

The only part of splatfests I take seriously is reaching the max rank. I highly enjoy the music, graphics, festivity, memeverse posts, Its an amazing event!

grandpappy

You guys made me ink!
NNID
eyeplaybass
I'll just pick what I want and get myself up to the highest rank and play as long as the fun lasts. People getting so upset about this arbitrary **** is so silly. The splatfest was a ton of fun. Save your salt for August when we start having squads warring against each other.

ChelseaSmile

Inkling
NNID
Warriorofworlds
Splatfests kind of lose their meaning to me if you don't pick the one you like more in my opinion.
Side note, sometimes I wonder if Nintendo saves the data they gather on which is more popular for marketing analysis so they can hit their target audience;)

PrinceOfKoopas

Inkling Commander
NNID
PrinceOfKoopas
Splatfests kind of lose their meaning to me if you don't pick the one you like more in my opinion.
Side note, sometimes I wonder if Nintendo saves the data they gather on which is more popular for marketing analysis so they can hit their target audience;)
I don't think anything ever came out of the popularity polls from the Wii's Everybody Votes Channel. :(

Edit: Oh yeah, I believe in following my convictions and beliefs. So I'll do my favourite, not wot's popular. And I'll try my best.

DarkGold777

Inkling Cadet
NNID
DarkGold777
Well, I'll still choose my favorite side and do my best, because I DO want to have fun, but I'll have that extra worry of the team with more wins not winning Splatfest overall, even if it'll be my team. I want to witness a victory based on playing the game without votes for a team getting in the way of the results.

Khatsworth

Inkling
NNID
Khatsworth
I'm just gonna pick my favourite and do my best. Any less and I'd feel I'm letting my favourite things down!
If I still get 18 snails just for getting max title, it's still a win for me. :3

truefire

Inkling
I'll pick my favorite side and try my hardest. I think the issue with the popularity aspect isn't how much it's weighted, but rather how skewed the topic of popularity is. Cats vs. Dogs was fine, for instance. While the Dogs won the popularity by a sizable amount, all Cats would have needed was to have 57% of the wins (6% off from what they actually got). And when you think about it, both sides had their disadvantages. The more skilled Cat teams had more opportunities to fight Dog teams of varying skill levels, whereas the most skilled Dog teams more often than not were probably forced to fight each other. The less popular side has a better pick of the opposing team (which benefits the more influential win % stat), while the more popular side has a buffer from the less weighted popularity stat to offset matchmaking randomness.

But then you have Pop vs. Rock for Europe, and I'm going to guess that was decidedly one-sided. Splatfest team division needs something more arbitrary, something like... Squid vs. Kid.

ShinyGirafarig

Inkling Commander
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
Switch Friend Code
SW-6085-7937-9686
I'll pick my favorite side and try my hardest. I think the issue with the popularity aspect isn't how much it's weighted, but rather how skewed the topic of popularity is. Cats vs. Dogs was fine, for instance. While the Dogs won the popularity by a sizable amount, all Cats would have needed was to have 57% of the wins (6% off from what they actually got). And when you think about it, both sides had their disadvantages. The more skilled Cat teams had more opportunities to fight Dog teams of varying skill levels, whereas the most skilled Dog teams more often than not were probably forced to fight each other. The less popular side has a better pick of the opposing team (which benefits the more influential win % stat), while the more popular side has a buffer from the less weighted popularity stat to offset matchmaking randomness.

But then you have Pop vs. Rock for Europe, and I'm going to guess that was decidedly one-sided. Splatfest team division needs something more arbitrary, something like... Squid vs. Kid.
We got pretty good ideas for Splatfest themes here that most likely won't be so one sided in popularity: http://squidboards.com/threads/splatfest-themes.3073/

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
I'll pick my favorite side, and will just make it to max rank like I did for this one. People are just mad that they lost, so they just want to blame something, since they thought they were going to win.

I mean, we all walk away from splatfest with something, so it really isn't that big of a deal.

Last edited:

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
I'll pick my favorite side, and will just make it to max rank like I did for this one. People are just salty that they lost, so they just want to blame something, since they thought they were going to win.

I mean, we all walk away from splatfest with something, so it really isn't that big of a deal.
For some people, yeah that's true, but in my situation and plenty of others', it's not the outcome that was the issue, it's how the outcome was decided.

Rock won fair and square and Udon was a little more janked than with Dogs, but that's just my $0.02 for you.

iTwAsLucK

Semi-Pro Squid
I plan to max my shell gains.

Pick the obvious popular pick, and then win enough points to hit a decent threshold.

DakotaBonez

Full Squid
So I've been hearing a lot of talk from a couple places how they feel popularity shouldn't be a deciding factor, or how it had too big of an impact on which team ultimately won.

I heard some people are going to only go for the popular choices now. Or they are going to not even bother too much with splatfests. People who were previously getting like 20 and 50 streaks I heard aren't going to try as hard.

So I was wondering how you guys were going to handle it?

I personally am still going to pick my personal favorite of the two choices and try my hardest to get wins.
I missed splatfest, did only the winning team get shells or what? What was the gain from winning?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom