• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Arowana Mall: Analysis and Thoughts

Typhlosion09

Pro Squid
NNID
Typhlosion09
I love this stage, toss some seekers in front at the beginning and get to the middle faster, where you will have a higher vantage point, I always do that and it works. Callie and Marie also say something about not shopping and battling, and also something about hot dogs.

GamingWarthog

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
GamingWarthog
I love this stage, toss some seekers in front at the beginning and get to the middle faster, where you will have a higher vantage point, I always do that and it works. Callie and Marie also say something about not shopping and battling, and also something about hot dogs.
Seekers are really good in Arowana Mall, this is possibly their best stage.

Also here's another news section for the op:

Callie: I'm always coming here for work!
Marie: You don't have a side gig without me, do you?!

WispBae

Pro Squid
NNID
The-Wispy
(Not sure it was worth it's own thread but) In-Depth Analysis:

Vertical positioning is very important in Splatoon, due to the nature of gravity in in the game, and this map certainly emphasizes on it, being shaped like a giant canyon. Most of the turf to cover is on the bottom of the canyon, which offers an odd trade off: Go for turf, but risk getting attacked from above? Or stay up high, but lose access to a huge chunks of the map. Let's start with the spawns.

[/url][/IMG]
Both spawns are shaped in a fort fashion, where the home team always has the high ground advantage. Going left leads to being able to cover a ton of the canyon, as well as having the highest sniping points in the game, as well as a higher, but slower way to the middle. The right path leads to a hallway with multiple options that lead back to the canyon, as well as a direct path to the hill, but with less turf. The middle is just a straight shot to the hill, but has lots of turf to cover on the way.

(Refer to the badly drawn numbers now)

(1) Grate at spawn: This may seem like an odd place to have a grate, but it is actually a prime position for defense and ambushing opponents pushing your base. Not only can you shoot through it and douse them in your ink, it also gives you room to cut off the only "safe" exit (at 6), but you can also fall though the grate and catch them before they even know you are there. Great for roller ambushing if you are losing the map.

(2) Left Spire: While not technically a "spire", this spot offers the highest position in the map, as well as multiples ways to go. For longe range weapons, this is one of the best spots to stand just to cover the map. Short range weapons won't get much here, but it is a good jumping off point for ambushes at your fort's choke points, and a safer way to get into the depths of the canyon, without going head first over a ramp you can't see over without aiming your gun in a bad spot.

(3) Left Hill Access/Overlook: This spot is one of the best for hill control, but also one of the most vulnerable spots as well, due to the grate. The enemy team can use their right flanking path to easily get shots on you, and your only escape options would be falling down the grate into the canyon (which is always dangerous), running away slowly on the grate, or jumping into the hill. Keep an eye to your left, but otherwise this spot is vital for pushing, due to how high the hill is (remember, high ground always has the advantage, not just in Splatoon, but most other shooters as well).

(4) Right Spire & path for flanking: The right path offers many options for moving forward, as well as having the right spire to snipe on. The flanking path should be safe most of the time, due to the enemy not having a way to climb up, and it gives you either a straight shot to the hill, or a path to the small chunk of turf near the wall next to the right spire, just outside of it. This chunk of turf is actually fairly dangerous, but great for hiding in, being so small, there aren't many ways for enemies to escape that don't involve jumping into the canyon.

(5)Right Hill Access/Overlook: This spot is another great sniping spot, but is more suited towards defense, because of the small chunk of turf that sticks up, letting you hide behind it. On top of that, you also have the grate to retreat to that actually puts you on a second grated elevation. Sure, it's in the canyon, but it's better than nothing.

(6)Fort's Choke Point: While there isn't too much to say about this spot here, it is a boon for short ranged weapons, being able to attack, then dip back behind the barrier. At the same time, your enemy can do the same. If you base is being pushed, a good strategy would be to have someone on a spire, picking off the foes, while someone stops them from getting closer on the ground floor.

A view of the hill, the center of the map. Expect fights to break out more than acne on a boy in his puberty.

(1) Left Hill Access/ Overlook: Again, great spot for fighting for the hill. You also cover the ramp heading up the hill, and potentially the enemy's right flanking path.Notice how the grate leads back into your canyon, should you need to bail.

(2) Right Hill Access/ Overlook: The safer of the two vantage points, due to the small piece of turf protecting you, as well as multiple escape options. Take note elevated grate underneath you, a safer way into the canyon.

(3) Flanking paths: This is where the right flanking paths spill out, giving both you and your enemy access to the hill and each others' paths. Notice the placement of the small grates as well on either place, allowing anyone to hide behind the small wall, if trying to push into their flank. Just be mindful, anyone at the overlooks can still hit you.

(4) Enemy overlooks: Be mindful, these spots are higher than the hill. Should you want to challenge someone there while on hill, a grenade or far reaching weapon is key.

(5) The Hill: Notice how there are ramps on the hill, which are perfect for jumping off and landing in the enemy team's canyons or elevated grates. The hill is pretty self-explanatory, short range weapons are your friend here. One thing to note is the advertising in the center of the hill, which cuts off view from either side of the other part of the hill. Use this cover to your advantage, hide behind it if you need to. In shooters, a rule of thumb to always remember is survival: Focus on surviving first, not getting splats. Trading only puts the situation into neutral, and dying gives the other team more time to control this vital spot. Stay alive, don't push your luck. If you are outnumbered, stay back and harass them from the flanking path with short ranged guns. Bait them into coming up to chase you, and use the corner of the hall or the wall to your right to punish. Long range weapons can pick off big groups from the flanking position as well, just don't over extend, they can still get you.

(6?) Walls of the hill: This needs testing, but you may be able to ink the sides of the hill. If you could somehow make a line across the wall, over the water, it leads me to believe you could go around the hill, over the water. In my many attempts killing myself on accident by falling off the hill, I noticed you can ink the sides. If nothing else, inking these parts could lead to sneaky escape and ambush options. Jump off the hill, hide in the wall, then climb back up for a surprise.

This concludes my analysis of Arowana Mall.

...wish we could go shopping though... - .-;

Sludge

Inkling
NNID
Sludgetoon

(6)Fort's Choke Point: While there isn't too much to say about this spot here, it is a boon for short ranged weapons, being able to attack, then dip back behind the barrier. At the same time, your enemy can do the same. If you base is being pushed, a good strategy would be to have someone on a spire, picking off the foes, while someone stops them from getting closer on the ground floor.

I find comebacks are almost impossible on this map and become absolute stomps with the help of point 6 over here. I wish there were more counter play with the high spots like point 4, but it seems the spots are too high to pressure them back with a blaster and some chargers.

Dirty Duck

Inkling Cadet
NNID
TheThirdChild
An unfortunate cut-off point & I'm too immature to not highlight it

On topic tho:The alleys to the right and left of the stage and the the mid ramp and ledges running along the side of the buildings make this stage a lot of fun, had a great moment where I was on top of the ramp and some enemies were starting to swim up, so I painted the ramp at the top so they couldn't get past, and then I punished them with a shower of paint and pain

WispBae

Pro Squid
NNID
The-Wispy
If anyone is interested, I could do more map break downs...? Just this map was the most fresh in my mind, wouldn't mind analyzing the others.

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
While I'm losing I have a hard time figuring out what I'm doing wrong to correct myself, but I developed a way of learning what to do, I observe what my enemies are doing wrong that either makes them easy targets for me or what they leave unattended in the map and then I start to avoid doing the same thing.

So, with this in mind, I'd say that if your base is getting infiltrated, they do only have one entry point, the point 6 on the first image by @Wispy, and most people try to push us away from that point, it either leads to a tug-of-war that just wastes your time or they get splatted right there. I'd say the best strategy is to let them come and pick them after they pass, or try to go around them through 2 (first image), really situational depending on your weapon, but splatting squids that are coming from the spawn there with a charger is really easy, because you can keep your distance.

Also path that is most left unpainted is 4 (first image), I actually start going there first thing in the match (unless someone else goes there first), and start the battle in the center from 3 (second image).

WispBae

Pro Squid
NNID
The-Wispy
I have found a set-up to go around the Hill on the mall that does not involve the flanking path. I'll do my best to record it.

WispBae

Pro Squid
NNID
The-Wispy
Sorry for the double post, but here is the video of me showing a way around the hill on without using the right flanking paths.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Sorry for the double post, but here is the video of me showing a way around the hill on without using the right flanking paths.

It is certainly interesting. I have two main concerns.
1. It is incredibly slow and you are not spraying ink during this time on the ground.
2. The enemy can ruin the path or potentially see you and shoot at you.

Howl

Semi-Pro Squid
NNID
SilverHowl
That path doesn't seem useful to me. Way too situational to paint that wall (you don't get points for it either) and I doubt it's overall worth.

Osha

Full Squid
NNID
Oshawatt
With how Splat Zones works, I can already tell this map is gonna be pure concentrated hell.

Thommy

Inkling
NNID
itzThommy
Yo this map is the most fun to play on with all the different paths and sniping spots. Splat Zones hype :oops:

NineWholeGrains

Inkster Jr.
NNID
xcrunner39
The Splat Zone version of this map is Charger heaven. You can go to either position 1 or 2 (listed above) and the opponent has no safe way to approach you. At the very least, you'll get a shot or two off on anyone trying to crash your position, which should really be all you need. If someone does break past you, you can always fall through the grates and land back on your side of the map. It's an excellent position with good attacking and retreating chances.

One thing I'll never understand is how Rollers manage to play on this map. I'm no expert with them, but it just seems like the changes in elevation and terrain would really mess things up. Ya'll have my utmost respect.

NintendodudeX

Inkling
NNID
Hailex
I love using my Seeker sub weapon in this level helps me claim the middle ground very fast.

obscurica

Full Squid
NNID
obscurica
Feels like this map absolutely needs a Splat Wall weapon, but not to seal off the center path. The enemy sniper's nest by the side approach makes the entire center area a deathtrap, so you need something to push them off of it. A two-man combo of grenade + wall, or even the wall alone, not only lets you safely approach, but taking the sniper's nest gives you command of their ramp as well, further snowballing your advantage.

I dunno. I feel like the optimal approach/answer sets on Arowana are too limited. Hard to express any cleverness here.

D_Neon

Inkster Jr.
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I just need to vent:

Why is the single best sniper nest with the largest control of a central area over any map approached (both from the opponents base and by flanking behind) by the longest unswimmable stretches in the game?

Also why do they need to be grates, why can't they be glass, is it really necessary to punish a behaviour the game has built into the player (fire-dive-fire-dive) so harshly?

On a semi related note; why is the Seeker a one shot kill? It completely dominates narrow hallways and can be seriously abusive when the opponent has a height advantage and one sub saver ability.

Soz guys, just seriously needed to vent, Arowana Mall just seems like the worst thought out map for Splat Zones

I dunno. I feel like the optimal approach/answer sets on Arowana are too limited. Hard to express any cleverness here.
Exactly my problem. It feels like if Arowana is on the rotation you need to make sure you play charger or rely on team mates knowing how to play around them. It takes more than one person to take out a charger on this map honestly.

Nerdicon

Inkling
This map is absolute pandemonium in Splat Zones. I play Blaster to easily pick off chargers, so my real enemy are the rollers and shooters that sneak up on me! When I play Splatterscope I generally have problems with shooters sneaking up on me. Some parts of the map just seem like they're designed poorly. Especially the long grate pathway that leads to a nice sniping post. If there are any opponents near that location it's nigh impossible to actually reach the other side of the path.
There are rarely comebacks on this map due to the sloped design giving the team who already has the zone the high ground.

This is often the map that makes me rage quit. Darn snipers I swear...

D_Neon

Inkster Jr.
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
This is often the map that makes me rage quit. Darn snipers I swear...
I genuinely have just outright refused to play ranked if this is in rotation now, a bit excessive, but it's just too frustrating. I don't know if Nintendo's planning any kind of post release changes to any maps, they probably won't, but god do I hope they do something about Arowana. Personally, I think the first step would be moving the splat zones off the center.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom