• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Arowana Mall: Analysis and Thoughts

pixelatedcody

[S+99] Octoshot {AKA Pixel]
NNID
cncody
I think the biggest issue in this map, is the slopes. you have to have the sloped ink to get in the point from the middle, or you are forced to enter from the sides.

combined with the high vantage points, and charger spots means you gotta really watch out.

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I think the biggest issue in this map, is the slopes. you have to have the sloped ink to get in the point from the middle, or you are forced to enter from the sides.

combined with the high vantage points, and charger spots means you gotta really watch out.
Honestly, I don't find that an issue, rather what makes it unique. The fact you have to go up the slopes means you don't know what to expect so you have to be prepared. And if you go through the sides, snipers will be there prepared to get you.

LinkJr

Inkling Cadet
Actually do you really need to use the slope? can't you just paint the wall on the side and go up from there? I'm not sure you can paint the whole wall but it might be more useful than using the ramp, would love to test it but can't play Spaltoon until tuesday/wednesday (traveling right now).

toadster101

Pro Squid
Switch Friend Code
SW-0022-0027-5937
Sounds hot.

I despise this map. Everybody just congregates in the middle since they're too dumb to sneak around.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Sounds hot.

I despise this map. Everybody just congregates in the middle since they're too dumb to sneak around.
Do you mean they just rush up the center to the middle, or they take the alleyway & left path too and then jump onto the center platform?
Because that's kinda how the map is, there's no way to get to the enemy side without going to that center platform.
I don't much like it either (in Turf War anyway, Splat Zones makes this a little better for me by making the center platform the Splat Zone, and thus the focal point around which all fighting happens), but it's just how it's built that annoys me (except in Splat Zones).

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Huh? No sneaking? It's pretty easy to get to the enemy side and just paint away while everyone is busy at the center. Even better as a charger, better sniping spots on the enemy side due to actually being near their spawning area and can hit them right out the gate.

pixelatedcody

NNID
cncody
Honestly, I don't find that an issue, rather what makes it unique. The fact you have to go up the slopes means you don't know what to expect so you have to be prepared. And if you go through the sides, snipers will be there prepared to get you.
In the matches I've played in A- if the team has chargers they always sit at these spots
and focus on the slope while keeping a slight eye on possible flanks. Since I use ninja squid getting to them from the sides is easier for me personally than going from the center. (this also varies based on my teams positions on where I go) If I have to reveal myself to shoot the slope to traverse up it. that's a window for them to snipe me. And they will. However they usually never get the chance, because I'm always making sure our team is in control of the 3 big charger spots and the zone itself.

I do personally enjoy this map on splatzones for the sole fact of the grate bridge being lowered on the sides. I usually rush to the sides and throw a seeker across the grates to kill any enemies coming around from the alley.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
In the matches I've played in A- if the team has chargers they always sit at these spots
and focus on the slope while keeping a slight eye on possible flanks. Since I use ninja squid getting to them from the sides is easier for me personally than going from the center. (this also varies based on my teams positions on where I go) If I have to reveal myself to shoot the slope to traverse up it. that's a window for them to snipe me. And they will. However they usually never get the chance, because I'm always making sure our team is in control of the 3 big charger spots and the zone itself.

I do personally enjoy this map on splatzones for the sole fact of the grate bridge being lowered on the sides. I usually rush to the sides and throw a seeker across the grates to kill any enemies coming around from the alley.
Looking at that map, I have a small question:
If two chargers with E-Liters ('cause they have the longest range, but maybe Splatterscopes could do this too) sit at those positions, could they snipe people trying to flank the other charger from the left pathway (or, to a possibly lesser extent, from the right corridor to the center)? Just a thought.
Yeah, the grates on Splat Zones Arowana are so helpful. You can shoot across without them (with most weapons). But being able to go across to their corridor (or their sniper platform, in my case) is quite useful at times (or annoying, when it happens to me).
Also, is it possible to squid-jump from the sniper platforms to the center platform (or the slopes up to it)? I just ask because I always fall into the water when I try.

pixelatedcody

NNID
cncody
Looking at that map, I have a small question:
If two chargers with E-Liters ('cause they have the longest range, but maybe Splatterscopes could do this too) sit at those positions, could they snipe people trying to flank the other charger from the left pathway (or, to a possibly lesser extent, from the right corridor to the center)? .
Yeah you get just enough range to counter snipe anyone sitting at the small nests in the front but in terms of sniping the other person, you'd have to move the the spot in front of the alley on either side to snipe across. (you may be able to do it with the E-Liter 3k. but you'd have to be on the grate bridge and close to the edge of it.)

WaifuRaccoonBL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I really need to unlcok the e-liters because I want to try them out on this stage so bad. Would be fun to countersnipe.

Speaking of, this map seems like a great stage for the E-liters overall. Depending on how our map selection process works, it might be a good idea to use this as a charger when going to this stage.

ILikeKirbys

Inkling Commander
NNID
ILikeKirbys
Yeah you get just enough range to counter snipe anyone sitting at the small nests in the front but in terms of sniping the other person, you'd have to move the the spot in front of the alley on either side to snipe across. (you may be able to do it with the E-Liter 3k. but you'd have to be on the grate bridge and close to the edge of it.)
Ah, so it is doable.
Too risky to be relied on (unless snipers getting flanked is all you have to worry about, but you're probably winning by a landslide if that's your biggest worry), but doable.

I really need to unlcok the e-liters because I want to try them out on this stage so bad. Would be fun to countersnipe.

Speaking of, this map seems like a great stage for the E-liters overall. Depending on how our map selection process works, it might be a good idea to use this as a charger when going to this stage.
Oh yeah.
Snipers in general are so helpful on Arowana, and that one has crazy range, so it should be even better. I can't wait to see the E-Liter Custom and Scope (they're going to be added eventually, the strategy guide said so).
I CAN wait to see them used against me, though. I can wait a very long time. Not looking forward to trying to get at them (especially Custom, if it has Splash Wall) (on a side note, please don't ever give that to a Charger, Nintendo, I have enough trouble with them without them having a one-way wall to snipe through) with a .52 Gal Deco (or Krak-On Roller) at all.

meleesplatter

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meleebrawler

A view of the hill, the center of the map. Expect fights to break out more than acne on a boy in his puberty.

(1) Left Hill Access/ Overlook: Again, great spot for fighting for the hill. You also cover the ramp heading up the hill, and potentially the enemy's right flanking path.Notice how the grate leads back into your canyon, should you need to bail.

(2) Right Hill Access/ Overlook: The safer of the two vantage points, due to the small piece of turf protecting you, as well as multiple escape options. Take note elevated grate underneath you, a safer way into the canyon.

(3) Flanking paths: This is where the right flanking paths spill out, giving both you and your enemy access to the hill and each others' paths. Notice the placement of the small grates as well on either place, allowing anyone to hide behind the small wall, if trying to push into their flank. Just be mindful, anyone at the overlooks can still hit you.

(4) Enemy overlooks: Be mindful, these spots are higher than the hill. Should you want to challenge someone there while on hill, a grenade or far reaching weapon is key.

(5) The Hill: Notice how there are ramps on the hill, which are perfect for jumping off and landing in the enemy team's canyons or elevated grates. The hill is pretty self-explanatory, short range weapons are your friend here. One thing to note is the advertising in the center of the hill, which cuts off view from either side of the other part of the hill. Use this cover to your advantage, hide behind it if you need to. In shooters, a rule of thumb to always remember is survival: Focus on surviving first, not getting splats. Trading only puts the situation into neutral, and dying gives the other team more time to control this vital spot. Stay alive, don't push your luck. If you are outnumbered, stay back and harass them from the flanking path with short ranged guns. Bait them into coming up to chase you, and use the corner of the hall or the wall to your right to punish. Long range weapons can pick off big groups from the flanking position as well, just don't over extend, they can still get you.

(6?) Walls of the hill: This needs testing, but you may be able to ink the sides of the hill. If you could somehow make a line across the wall, over the water, it leads me to believe you could go around the hill, over the water. In my many attempts killing myself on accident by falling off the hill, I noticed you can ink the sides. If nothing else, inking these parts could lead to sneaky escape and ambush options. Jump off the hill, hide in the wall, then climb back up for a surprise.

This concludes my analysis of Arowana Mall.

...wish we could go shopping though... - .-;
Important to note that in Splat Zones, the areas between 4 (and 1) and 3 have grates between them allowing players to sneak up on snipers
who are too focused on the middle.

GreyIsSquidNow

Inkling
NNID
Greymanz
Well I have a bit of strategies on this if you like:

-Your Wooden Ramp thing it both an offensive and defensive position and is a good place to hold if you want to push enemies further back.

Your Alleyway is the second most important area. It can both be a blessing and a curse for your team. In splatzones, put a beacon there and defend it, poking out and helping your team as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom