Bluefin Tricolor Impressions?

ThestralZ

Inkling Cadet
Switch Friend Code
SW-1797-1352-6215
First thoughts...wtf? Why is the first sprinkler of doom where it is? I guess it kind of needs to be there or else it wouldn't have enough impact, but I think the value you get from it is a bit too much. Getting first signal is kind of ggs in my opinion. Any other opinions?

☆Brody☆

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-4277-5054-4618
The layout in general is just really boring and linear. If you’re an attacking team you go forward and take a left, if you’re the defending team you go forward and take a right. The whole fun of tricolor is the asymmetrical game design, but this stage is just so symmetrical it’s bland.

☆Brody☆

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
He/Him
Switch Friend Code
SW-4277-5054-4618
That said, Tricolor is still exponentially more interesting than regular turf war so I’m still having fun on it, especially with dynamo.

isaac4

Inkling Cadet
Really boring honestly and also has the same problem every other mode in Bluefin has, it's very easy to lockout teams from their base
Especially if they don't have range, bomb, or a special to push in
Besides that idk its whatever
I don't expect any good Tri-Color maps so it's not a big disappointment to me

MandatoryCatalyst

Pro Squid
Pronouns
Any
Switch Friend Code
SW-2709-1571-0800
Don't super love it, though I've barely played it. My main issue with it is that I really don't feel like I can bring Heavy Splatling into it and feel like I'll be able to do well. Heavy on Attacker just... feels bad to play. I could, and will change weapons to make it more fun, but I personally really love bring Heavy into Tricolor, and my personal enjoyment of any given Tricolor map is based on "Will I bring Heavy into this map and have a good time", hence why my favorite is MakoMart

cipsbsndj

Semi-Pro Squid
Pronouns
he/they
Switch Friend Code
SW-0937-9859-6660
The map seems very defender favored, with the only ways attackers can get into mid is through predictable one-way drops
The first Tricolor match I played on Bluefin the attacking teams took both ultra signals, and I still won playing defender
Not a fan of this one tbh

Jazellie

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
she/they
Switch Friend Code
SW-4798-9690-3003
i was VERY eager to see how this tricolor map would be like since i literally predicted that this would be the tri-color stage when trying to theorize what it could be with my friend LOL

it's interesting to say the least but honestly... i kind of like it. if you don't have a good way to get out of your base as an attacker, then yeah it sucks, BUT if you do... it's a blast fighting in mid! i feel like being on the defending team though is a little too easy... either way i enjoy tri-color bluefin depot! just grab a weapon that can easy kills and get your friend to grab a weapon with a good entry tool (or vice versa) and try to have fun!

2Ws2Ls

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-3607-4410-2815
Definitely a map worth attempting to make, albeit the execution was a bit off. the double mid turns the game into a sort of 2v2, with a second mid for victors of the initial 2v2s, and a cool, but very exploitable route from one sub-mid to the other. The problem mostly comes down to the fact that tri-color has a team specifically defending with little to no attacking and bluefin is a very defense oriented map. this isn't usually a problem in casual play, and competitive bans it on the grounds that defensive game play is lame(oversimplifying a lot here), but the introduction of a defense team screws it all up. the defense just has a massive advantage over attack, due to being able to lock them out so effectively. they also have an easier time hopping sub mids, and get a nice spawncamping backline perch out of it. as much i would love to see bluefin tricolor but good in a later fest, given that only 2-3 more will be happening i doubt it will happen

dabearsss

Inkster Jr.
Bringing liter into this map is borderline cheating as a defender. You can camp the ultra signal from your spawn ledge for free. I get that they were trying to go for something different with this one but bluefin was not the map to do it.

They should have brought shifty stations back for 3's tricolor instead of awkwardly retrofitting pre existing maps.

Bluejay

Inkster Jr.
Having to drop repeatedly into your doom just to play the game is not a great experience (as seen in the zones version of the map). On defender it gets really boring guarding the two elevators. I’d take the elevator into an attacker team's spawn to have actual fights with ppl : (

Aiko.Octo

Inkling Cadet
Pronouns
she/her
I don't really like how it's almost mandatory for the two attacking teams to attack each other in order for one to get enough ink % to win out against defending. I usually enjoy the respectful truce between the two attacking teams but this map almost forces you to throw it out the window unless both attacking teams can compromise the turf coverage in both defending spawns. At least that's my experience. I am honestly doing my best to be patient with it and give it a chance, but it feels so heavily biased in favor of defending that the outcome almost feels predetermined.

That said, it also means it feels absolutely thrilling to actually win on attacking. And overall I still find it a nice change of pace from turf.

Bubbsart

Full Squid
Pronouns
she/they/he
Switch Friend Code
SW-0856-6246-8984
Only mirror matches, both times i got teal ink, which im not mad about

WhatTheDevin

Inkster Jr.
Pronouns
He/They
Switch Friend Code
SW-5595-9385-4596
About the same as everyone above, though my main strat for attacking in tricolor is to just rush the ultra signal no matter what (because the time you need to hold it gets shorter every time you touch it). So my tricolor experience is heavily based on how well I can do that, and while I've certainly been able to lock out other players from touching it using Heavy Edit, I haven't really had many other people stop me from just popping a curling bomb and just going for it.

9DB

Inkling Cadet
I don't care for it. Honestly, the only tricolor map I liked was the triforce one because each team had equal opportunities to ink space. Really, I don't like bluefin in general though

Last edited:

Cephalobro

I really don't like this one compared to the previous Tri-color maps, and that's due to the fact that an E-liter can potentially lock you out of the middle area completely, there are no alternate ways to escape charger shots once you get targeted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom