• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Brella builds?

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
Run speed still has a noticeable effect on the Brella's movement speed while firing so it's definitely worth considering.

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
@Otter Power,
There are those situations when I encounter an overly aggressive aerospray, tri-slosher, n-zap, or mini-splatling that wants to get extremely close. Within shield kissing distance. Then some among them will try to circle around while continuing to attack. And the moment I drop my shield to attack, dodge, or flee they often register enough hits to splat me before any of those inputs register. (slow brella animations?)

So I try to turn and shuffle to quarter off their movement and either splat them, hit them with the launch, or put myself in a better position before the shield breaks.

Otter Power

Full Squid
NNID
OtterGod
Ohhh, I see, fast-moving shooters that are walking instead of swimming. That's a tough one, then. If nobody is around to help, then it is a bit of a hopeless situation. While in theory, you should be able to wait it out and escape once the Brella breaks or launches, the tiniest bit of latency means all the hits needed to splat you will have already registered.

I'd recommend to just keep your distance better when against such weapons, and stick closer to teammates. But if you do find yourself up-close to a shooter weapon that often, then you might actually get some use out of run speed up. While you can't turn your brella any faster, you will be able to step around and manoeuvre yourself into a spot where you can escape better. The extra speed in walking backwards can also help put a bit of distance between you and your assailant, giving you better protection as you ready your escape plan.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Brella fun <_>

Me share build

:ability_inksavermain: / :ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
:ability_swimspeed:/ :ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:
(object shredder) / :ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
(^^^we oughta add emojis for the new abilities)

Ink efficiency is very helpful on the brella, but whether you should take :ability_inksavermain: ,:ability_inkrecovery:, or :ability_inksaversub: (or any combination)
depends on your playstyle.
:ability_inksavermain: helps with shielding and turfing. With just 2 mains worth, you can shield for a considerably longer time. If you don;t shield much it's still useful, however...
:ability_inkrecovery: is better if you almost never shield OR you reeeeally like your offensive sprinklers. But if you want to shoot more right after throwing a sprinkler...
:ability_inksaversub: is a great pick for you.
BUT WAFFLEF YOU LOVE SPRINKLERZ, Y U NO USE SUB SAVER?!? SPRINKLER HEATHEN!!!
yes I do love sprinklers, I just find myself using them a little more defensively in splaatoon 2, and I generally feel pretty safe when I throw one. (plus I ran out of room after stuffing in the object shredder and special charge up =[ )

Anyways OBJECT SHREDDER is amazing on brella.
Without object shredder, you will need to either hit armor/sprinklers/beakons multiple times at long range or stand uncomfortably close to get the 1 shot when destroying 'em.

WITH this dang fangle, you can clear out all those thhings with one shot from your max range
AND the kicker?
Your inkstorm will dissolve enemy ink armor in half of a second.(it probably also buffs your sprinkler's blobs and makes them 1 shot stuff as well o.o {untested} )

You can make due without object shredder, but I highly recommend this ability to anyone asking for splat brella ability builds.

EDIT: almost forgot, I just like the added :ability_swimspeed: mobility since I tend to play aggrressive, even when I'm playing a defensive brella
and enough :ability_specialcharge: on a sprinkler+inkstorm weapon turns you into a Drizzler. I don't know about you guys, but they drive me crazy in salmon run, so I took that frustration and I now spread it into my ranked/league matches >=P

PSS: I honestly have success even just using the main abilities from that set when I'm farming ability chunks. So you could easily expiriment a lot with the subs ^_^;

Last edited:

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
Brella fun <_>

Me share build

:ability_inksavermain: / :ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:
:ability_swimspeed:/ :ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain::ability_inksavermain:
(object shredder) / :ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge::ability_specialcharge:

Ink efficiency is very helpful on the brella, but whether you should take :ability_inksavermain: ,:ability_inkrecovery:, or :ability_inksaversub: (or any combination)
:ability_inksavermain: helps with shielding and turfing. With just 2 mains worth, you can shield for a considerably longer time. If you don;t shield much it's still useful, however...
:ability_inkrecovery: is better if you almost never shield OR you reeeeally like your offensive sprinklers. But if you want to shoot more right after throwing a sprinkler...
yes I do love sprinklers, I just find myself using them a little more defensively in splaatoon 2, and I generally feel pretty safe when I throw one. (plus I ran out of room after stuffing in the object shredder and special charge up =[ )

Without object shredder, you will need to either hit armor/sprinklers/beakons multiple times at long range in or stand uncomfortably close to get the 1 shot when destroying 'em.

WITH this dang fangle, you can clear out all those thhings with one shot from your max range
AND the kicker?
Your inkstorm will dissolve enemy ink armor in half of a second.(it probably also buffs your sprinkler's blobs and makes them 1 shot stuff as well o.o {untested} )

You can make due without object shredder, but I highly recommend this ability to anyone asking for splat brella ability builds.

EDIT: almost forgot, I just like the added :ability_swimspeed: mobility since I tend to play aggrressive, even when I'm playing a defensive brella
and enough :ability_specialcharge: on a sprinkler+inkstorm weapon turns you into a Drizzler. I don't know about you guys, but they drive me crazy in salmon run, so I took that frustration and I now spread it into my ranked/league matches >=P

PSS: I honestly have success even just using the main abilities from that set when I'm farming ability chunks. So you could easily expiriment a lot with the subs ^_^;
Wow, I never thought of Object Shredder that way!

Speaking of Object Shredder, do you have an Object Shredder Shoes that's Splash Mob/Tentatek Brand? It's for the Brella Kit, I'm just moving the abilities around :).

Last edited:

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
@Flopps I DO have a tentatek object shredder shoe =P (and it has 3 :ability_inkrecovery: subs)
PM me when you want to setup an order, and I hopefully won't be in lecture.

Lonely_Dolphin

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Einsam_Delphin
@Otter Power,
There are those situations when I encounter an overly aggressive aerospray, tri-slosher, n-zap, or mini-splatling that wants to get extremely close. Within shield kissing distance. Then some among them will try to circle around while continuing to attack. And the moment I drop my shield to attack, dodge, or flee they often register enough hits to splat me before any of those inputs register. (slow brella animations?)

So I try to turn and shuffle to quarter off their movement and either splat them, hit them with the launch, or put myself in a better position before the shield breaks.
You are able to immediately dive into your ink while shielding so swimming sideways should work, it does for me atleast. Then since they're right in your face it's a perfect opportunity to hit em with a 90 damage direct!

Phlox

Senior Squid
NNID
PhloxofBirds
Object Shredder, Bomb Defence, and Ink Resistance are the only things you need on this imo

Ansible

Squid Savior From the Future
Community Ambassador
You are able to immediately dive into your ink while shielding so swimming sideways should work, it does for me atleast. Then since they're right in your face it's a perfect opportunity to hit em with a 90 damage direct!
Thank you! Haven't thought about diving as I figured there'd be an animation sequence as I tuck away the brella before I could dive, not that it'd be instant.

I'll give it a try and hopefully manage as a useful counter.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
@Flopps I DO have a tentatek object shredder shoe =P (and it has 3 :ability_inkrecovery: subs)
PM me when you want to setup an order, and I hopefully won't be in lecture.
Cool, but, what's the name of the gear? With all the main abilities changing because of SplatNet, I want to make sure it's a gear that I I didn't make perfect already, and it looks good.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Black Norimakis
they normally have special charge up, but I ordered them from Annie's with object shredder.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
Black Norimakis
they normally have special charge up, but I ordered them from Annie's with object shredder.
Crud, sorry, but I already have A Black Norimakis with all Ink Recovery Up :/. Thanks for the Offer though, and ask me if you need anything :).

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
Brella fun <_>

Me share build

Without object shredder, you will need to either hit armor/sprinklers/beakons multiple times at long range or stand uncomfortably close to get the 1 shot when destroying 'em.

AND the kicker?

After the buffs and nerfs of 1.3, is Object Shredder still viable? Ink armor is now easier to break!

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
After the buffs and nerfs of 1.3, is Object Shredder still viable? Ink armor is now easier to break!
On splat brella? Yes!
The 1.3 nerfs to ink armor were to help chargers deal with ink armor (or any 1hko weapon)
but this did nothing for splat brella, so my reasoning still stands!

...well, mostly.
Since ink armor is currently being phased out by baller, you are less likely to come across opponents with ink armor, which means a lower chance of your object shredder seeing nice use outside of the rogue sprinkler/beakon user.
Object shredder doooooes technically work against baller, but I believe object shredder only lowers brella's shots to burst it from 5 to 4, or some other unreasonable number, where the baller has more than enough time to simply run you over twice or blow up in your face. (might be useful when you and a buddy or two are trying to pop it though?)

TLDR?
Still quite viable, just slightly less so.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
On splat brella? Yes!
The 1.3 nerfs to ink armor were to help chargers deal with ink armor (or any 1hko weapon)

...well, mostly.
Since ink armor is currently being phased out by baller, you are less likely to come across opponents with ink armor, which means a lower chance of your object shredder seeing nice use outside of the rogue sprinkler/beakon user.
Object shredder doooooes technically work against baller, but I believe object shredder only lowers brella's shots to burst it from 5 to 4, or some other unreasonable number, where the baller has more than enough time to simply run you over twice or blow up in your face. (might be useful when you and a buddy or two are trying to pop it though?)

TLDR?
Okay, just wondering since the speed ink armor broke was shortened :). I mostly end up using Object Shredder on Bubble Blower, since that’s really popular with the (OP) Forge Splattershot Pro, and the (Somewhat OP) Heavy Splatling Deco.

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
On splat brella? Yes!

...well, mostly.

TLDR?
Okay, Okay, after the 1.4 buffs to the Brella's damage per pellet and to the baller, is Object Shredder STILL viable? Nintendo seems to hate this ability.

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Okay, Okay, after the 1.4 buffs to the Brella's damage per pellet and to the baller, is Object Shredder STILL viable? Nintendo seems to hate this ability.
Unfortunately, I have not been able to play as much recently. And the time I have gotten to play I was focused on tenta brella and goo-tuber.
So I'm not too confident in my opinon... but I'll give it anyway '3'

If I can make an educated guess based on my matches with tenta brella + object shredder, I'd still say yes, if only as insurance against opponent Ballers and Ink Armors(It might reduce the amount o directs needed to pop baller by one shot). Since I don't have too big a feel for how popular these specials are now, I'm unsure if the one main slot is worth devoting to this insurance.

(though if you like being able to tap beakons and sprinklers out of existence from a distance, then it's probably still worth)

(. . . and I've yet to re-evaluate the worth of abilities after 1.4 dropped, so if something like run speed is just too good, then object shredder might be worthless in comparison... I dunno though .3. )

Flopps

Inkling Commander
Switch Friend Code
SW-3195-9273-4326
Unfortunately, I have not been able to play as much recently. And the time I have gotten to play I was focused on tenta brella and goo-tuber.
So I'm not too confident in my opinon... but I'll give it anyway '3'

If I can make an educated guess based on my matches with tenta brella + object shredder, I'd still say yes, if only as insurance against opponent Ballers and Ink Armors(It might reduce the amount o directs needed to pop baller by one shot). Since I don't have too big a feel for how popular these specials are now, I'm unsure if the one main slot is worth devoting to this insurance.

(though if you like being able to tap beakons and sprinklers out of existence from a distance, then it's probably still worth)

(. . . and I've yet to re-evaluate the worth of abilities after 1.4 dropped, so if something like run speed is just too good, then object shredder might be worthless in comparison... I dunno though .3. )
Well, also in the 1.4 update, a Brella's shield doesn't explode on impact from a baller, so I don't think that it's that worth it anymore just to get rid of sprinklers and beakons, some of the least used subs. Ink Armor doesn't seem popular anymore, but maybe that'll change.

thundasi

Senior Squid
this is my main for everything.
i run
mains:
mainsaver
sub up
special up
minors:
bomb def (1)
run spd (2)
special up (2)
main saver (2)
sub up (2)
sprinkler loses max effectiveness after 20 seconds. move it often
I do alot of flutter shielding so main saver is life.
and special power up because as of current patch ink storm is weak as woomy.

keep a fresh (20 sec or less sprinkler spinning at all times is free charge up

also to take a zone i combo when close to special
brella release
ink storm(free ink refill ;D)
sprinkler throw
At that point i got about 2 sec til my canopy is backup so back into the fight![/QUOTE]

Last edited:

thundasi

Senior Squid
posted it wrong...

this is my main for everything.
i run
mains:
mainsaver
sub up
special up
minors:
bomb def (1)
run spd (2)
special up (2)
main saver (2)
sub up (2)
sprinkler loses max effectiveness after 20 seconds. move it often
I do alot of flutter shielding so main saver is life.
and special power up because as of current patch ink storm is weak as woomy.

keep a fresh (20 sec or less sprinkler spinning at all times is free charge up

also to take a zone i combo when close to special
brella release
ink storm(free ink refill ;D)
sprinkler throw
At that point i got about 2 sec til my canopy is backup so back into the fight!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom