• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Brella Thoughts.

MINKUKEL

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Even though I feel like I'm stumbling around like an idiot using it, I tend to get a pretty good result, both splats and turf inked, so I guess I like it.

I noticed that a lot of players just kind of mindlessly shoot the top off randomly though.

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
First few rounds of testing the weapon have produced mixed results. Some things I've taken from it:
  • Your shield will only protect you to an extent. Enough sustained fire will destroy it before you can shoot it off. You can't turn with it very quickly either, so dualie users are going to be a big pain. So holding it for a long time seems a bad idea.
  • Not having a 1-shot splat means you have to commit to a duel whenever you attack somebody. And unlike the Blaster, good accuracy is required, since the Brella's spread shots are a bit weaker than the Blaster's blasts.
  • More of a general note than something specific to the Brella, but don't forget about the Sprinkler. It's heavy on the ink consumption, but it makes up for the main weapon's lacking turfing ability.
Overall, more testing is required.

the

Inkling Commander
I recently heard that the ability "object shredder" applies to a lot more stuff than I thought. Anyone know if it breaks the brella shield any faster?

AnonymousSquidKid

Inkster Jr.
I wonder if they'll make a version that as a shorter range but more damage and spread. Would be cool. Also, doesn't the Ink Storm + Umbrella shield remind anyone of Drizzler?

the

Inkling Commander
I wonder if they'll make a version that as a shorter range but more damage and spread.
On the other hand, I'd also like an Eliter/Dynamo/Hydra equivalent, an ink-hungry longer-ranged brella with a big umbrella shield (maybe based on a beach umbrella) to shield teammates like reinhardt or symmetra from overwatch.

redbunnyer

Inkster Jr.
On the other hand, I'd also like an Eliter/Dynamo/Hydra equivalent, an ink-hungry longer-ranged brella with a big umbrella shield (maybe based on a beach umbrella) to shield teammates like reinhardt or symmetra from overwatch.
That would be really coo!

Reactions: the

Hamachiカマ★

Full Squid
I ADORE it! Helped me move up a rank in tower control, which I am bad at.
It's kind of a support weapon IMO. Also if there no high fire weapons you can help those idiots who jump to you at a bad time. Or shield some people while they shoot to give you a bit of an advantage or level the field if they have ink armor~

The umbrella part can also hurt people so that's nice if I shoot it off. I'm also an avid lover of sprinklers since the first game (it's so good and not just for inking) and the ink storm is one of my favorite specials!

Definitely a fave, it's so cute how it has a storm and sprinklers because well...it's an umbrella lol.

Last edited:

GamemasterTom

Full Squid
NNID
GM-Tom
I'm really liking the Brella so far. In Splat Zones it helps a lot with the sub+special, and in Tower Control can help protecting your teammates while in a checkpoint. It's not a 1HKO but a lot of people (mostly in TC) try to attack you close range so you hit them with 90 from the shot and then 30 from the open Brella (also the open Brella has some knockback in it, i sent a squid flying to her doom in Moray Towers once). Rainmaker is the one mode i'm not really sure the Brella will shine, since it can only take one rainmaker hit while open.

Its mainly a support/defensive weapon, to keep an area/objective and i really like that playstyle.

ThatOneGuy

Inkling Commander
NNID
BattadaBeast
So far what I've seen, and heard from a couple of "brella mains", the brella seems like a heavy support weapon. It doesn't seem like it can carry games or even attempt to do so.

The basic strategy I've seen on the brella is that you want to get up to their face, and alternate shooting and blocking to win gun fights. Therefore your chances of winning against short range shooters is pretty good. Your umbrella is also great at blocking specials, as you can negate splatdowns, ballers, and even inkjets with ease.

However, with a good blocking ability, there are some things you cannot protect yourself from, like blaster shots being able to tear you apart while you can't do anything back. Also, the heavy can shred through your umbrella and still kill you. Another problem with having no range and not too many ways of closing in distance is that you are extremely passive when it comes to combating snipers, jets, and even splattershot pros.

So, I'd say this is a very passive weapon, with the goal of trying to support your team. This weapon can't cover turf on its own, so it's nice the sub and special try to help that aspect. Still, you will be combated with multiple range issues and standoffs that are impossible for you to win on your own. But, having a splash wall almost always at the ready is an amazing ability that shouldn't be overlooked.

Kidnacho

Senior Squid
NNID
Kidnacho
Switch Friend Code
SW-3767-4369-9288
From my experience it's a really good and fun weapon. It's not the best turf coverage weapon but I've managed a little bit. I like to jump around a lot because it had helped me stay alive in Splatoon 1 so I'm used to shooting and jumping which seems to help, but don't quote me on that. In normal close combat I've found the shield useful, Shooting AND blocking at the same time to get a kill has been satisfying. And if you get the aiming right it is a very fast killer. You do have to spam the ZR a little bit but it's worth it. However, very close combat is when the umbrella shield is too slow. From what I played, even missing a shot or two I've won or traded many more fights than lost and my finger was nowhere near hurting compared to how it would've felt if I was using, let's say the Octobrush. But then again, multiple times I let someone get super close to me and I couldn't defend myself. Looking at my past 50 battles on Splatnet, most of my battles have ended with 800-1000+ points of turf covered (of course I have to thank the Sprinkler and Ink Storm for helping that) and a good amount of them had 6 or more kills. Sure that's just me but it seems like a really effective weapon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom