• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Brella Thoughts.

Turd

Inkling
NNID
yoshi_shioti
Switch Friend Code
SW-2964-4020-4043
It's sad that we won't see the splatbrella in ketchup or mayo color. Nintendo decided to remove it, Why?????? It's such a missed opportunity for new colors to freshen up the game.

MissingNumbers

Inkling Commander
NNID
MissingN
Switch Friend Code
SW-4262-2166-2532
It's sad that we won't see the splatbrella in ketchup or mayo color. Nintendo decided to remove it, Why?????? It's such a missed opportunity for new colors to freshen up the game.
It's always like this for Splatfest-exclusive colors. The only exception was the Transformers ink, and that was a fluke that was patched out.

RespawningJesus

I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Premium
NNID
RespawningJesus
Honestly, for a shotgun like weapon, I am a little disappointed in the kill power of this weapon. And the utility that the shield brings doesn't really seem like it is worth it. You can't really carry hard with this weapon, but at least the ink coverage isn't too shabby. This weapon is definitely meant to support others, but I feel that other weapons do that role much better.

As for the kit, I really think it is redundant to have both sprinkler and ink storm. Would have really liked to see something like splat bomb or any other offensive sub to give more options for the weapon's rather underwhelming offense.

Weapon is pretty good in turf wars; I was able to consistently get over 1000 points in it on a regular basis, and that is without the win bonus. Have yet to try out the weapon on ranked, but I think that splat zones is the only thing this weapon is going to be good at.

Overall, the Splatbrella is a fun weapon, and while it isn't terrible, it isn't great either.

Last edited:

Flareth

Inkling Fleet Admiral
@ThatOneGuy already mentioned this a bit, but I can confirm that the Brella doesn't perform well in direct combat. Because you'll only ever get 90 damage max per hit, and because the weapon has a slowish fire rate, you'll likely come out the loser if you try to engage any opponent head-on. I find it's much more effective to sneak up on the enemy and take them out that way.

kidsquid17

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Firefin
Switch Friend Code
SW-5267-5861-7211
it's a cool concept just feels a bit gimmicky for me

Platinum Inkling

Senior Squid
I just tried it and I honestly love it. I didn't expect to, with its blaster like qualities, but this weapon is just my style. I love the sneak aspect of splatoon, making the sploosh, the dualies, and now this some of my favorite weapons. It's a surprisingly good ink spreader, I was able to get 1,000 points (pre bonus) with it a few times. The ink storm is great, this was my first time using it, actually. I do agree that it would benefit from a bomb of some kind as the sub, but I can overlook that because the weapon is just so much fun to play. I like how it looks too. It's really just a great weapon.

Sciryn

Inkling
NNID
GamesterChris
Switch Friend Code
SW-5309-1214-3521
Now that I have spent a good amount of time with the Brella, I have to say that it is fun to use. Am I any good with it? Debatable. I have only used it in Turf War and I tend to cover the most ground on my team (if not the whole match). One of the more recent matches I played, my team lost and I got over 1400 points. So from my perspective, it's good for covering ground. As for combat, it can be quite useful. I tend to prefer full auto weapons, but the power of the Brella compensates for that, at least for me. I'll probably end up using it like how I used the Ink Brush in Splatoon 1. Ninja squid around and cover ground/flank.

Spaceswitchmars

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
_funmars
Switch Friend Code
SW-0556-1305-6031
@ThatOneGuy already mentioned this a bit, but I can confirm that the Brella doesn't perform well in direct combat. Because you'll only ever get 90 damage max per hit, and because the weapon has a slowish fire rate, you'll likely come out the loser if you try to engage any opponent head-on. I find it's much more effective to sneak up on the enemy and take them out that way.
It's been said here before, but I really think the brella might be best with two squids roaming together. One distracts while the other splats.

This has to be a difficult weapon to balance properly, but I also think it's so different that its utility is yet to be fully realized.

Windows95

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4161-2129-8915
With gals, splash-o and sloshers as my usual choice of weapon, I expected to hate this. Buuuuut........

I adore it. You can turf quite decently with it, and it is a terror up close for your enemy. The sub and special work well to press an attack on your own, but it shines even more so close to your teamies. The shield is hard to time right, but it has a lot of uses.

1 complaint; the standard brella is fugly as hell. I confess I quickly played through Octo Canyon wielding a Brella today just o I could look slightly cooler with the Hero Brella Replica.

BBGrenorange

Inkling Cadet
I'm not sure about its potential for getting splats, especially at the moment when there are soooooo many octobrushes around at the moment. It's only a 2-hit splat if you get the direct hit, and can do as little as 15 damage at the edge of a shot I believe; I've found myself getting a lot more assists than splats.

Loooooooooove that they gave an umbrella a rain cloud special

Windows95

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4161-2129-8915
I'm not sure about its potential for getting splats, especially at the moment when there are soooooo many octobrushes around at the moment. It's only a 2-hit splat if you get the direct hit, and can do as little as 15 damage at the edge of a shot I believe; I've found myself getting a lot more assists than splats.

Loooooooooove that they gave an umbrella a rain cloud special
Oh brushes, they are the bane for the brella. If I see them wielding a brella, I follow them around until I get a good chance to surprise them.

Agree 100% on the ink storm! I actually hate that special otherwise, but this is a GREAT match - aside from thematic. It has two insanely good purposes;
1) It covers your way in the dangerous center area you're trying to control. Combine it with firing the shield. Had so many splats with the ink storm already. Other Brella wielders do this though, I always feel so stupid when "splatted by Ink Storm". okay.
2) Just send it off in the distance to aid a fellow squid when you're heading in the opposite direction.

CM86

Pro Squid
While the brella is an interesting idea, I am horrible at using it.

When I am in ranked and am trying to use the brellas shield gimmick (volume on makes this better):

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Imagine having a splash wall whenever you want when riding the tower without having to bounce the wall or jump off and toss, or a mobile wall for protecting the RM carrier...

Wait you don't have to imagine, we have the splat-brella now ;P

Nuddlmaus

Pro Squid
NNID
Nuddlmaus
The utility is amazing, while its a bit gimmicky and yes one vs one can be dangerous (keep zoning the enemy!) i adore the possibilities.

You can mixup in fight between baiting grenades and decrease their ink by dodging and baiting, you can send the brella flying to check hallways and make ink lanes for to rush in.

You can combine Sprinkler + Cloud for one hit bonanzas especially in splatzones and tower control.

And you can bait enemies so your teammate can flank them (my favorite).

Superkootz

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Supermario182
Its fun to use, but ya not very powerful. I don't like the special and sub though. It makes me feel like the penguin when I'm using it though lol

Emperor

twitter.com/Former_Eminence
I just wanna smack people with it to be honest.

So far I've only seen two people use it correctly.

Windows95

Inkster Jr.
Switch Friend Code
SW-4161-2129-8915
I just wanna smack people with it to be honest.

So far I've only seen two people use it correctly.
So far, I actually see them ending up turfing the most or second most of a team in Turf War, and if not, splatting the most opponents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom