Buff Ink Mines? Why or Why Not?

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
So to preface this, let's just think about other subs here:

The first sub weapon you encounter is the Splat Bomb. Mid-range/close-range one hit KO--more or less--when you have someone in the bomb range. It uses a good amount of total ink so that it balances out its powerful pushing and pressuring capability. That said, it's a pretty darn solid sub.

Then there's Burst Bombs. At first they don't seem so glorious in comparison to their splat bomb brothers, but they have a multitude of uses that are covered in this guide. (Props to @SquiddiamFancyson ) Climbing walls for certain weapons, a mid-range option for many close-range or long-range weapons, manipulating shots to kill, splatter-hopping; sure they take more time and care to manipulate, but they have a lot of uses. Versatility is the name of the game.

The last in that group is the Suction Bomb. It can stick to surfaces that would otherwise be bounced on and revealed. You can hide it, it has a huge blast radius and one-hit kill area, creates great pressuring and makes for great escape routes--really, it's a lot like the splat bomb. Just longer time to explode, greater blast radius and, of course, stickiness.

Seekers are a little different. They leave a trail of ink where they go continuing until they run into something, they explode in a rather large radius and, when they lock onto someone, they follow them which slightly increases their accuracy. Not the best sub, but it has some good pressuring capability, creates a safe line of travel and can deal with some enemies at a range that other subs just can't because of range limits.

Sprinklers are wonderful, if a little underused--in my opinion. They can safely ink and area without a person having to put themselves at risk. They work as great bait and attract attention. They can create a safe zone for battle for a short while. They increase the speed at which one could theoretically charge their special weapon. There's more uses, but those are just a few.

Squid Beacons are the tactical sub. They allow for a safe jump point that doesn't reveal the fact that someone is jumping to them to anyone else. They allow the team to hold certain points much longer than they have any right to. They can give the leg up when a team is losing... if the team knows how to take advantage of it and the player knows how to use them.

Then there's Point Sensors which make the user a walking Echolocator. Think that you can't win an engage? Throw a sensor to inform teammates of the hider's position. Need a better shot at the enemy? Sensor. Scouting ahead for hiding rollers? Sensor. The information this sub provides can be invaluable in the right hands.

Disruptors are hard to use, but serve as a pretty large inconvenience to certain weapons, namely rollers and brushes, limiting a lot of their options. It can make for a safe get-away sub because it slows enemies and makes it hard for them to follow, so you think you can't win an engagement? Throw it their way and get out of there. Like the sensor, you can use it to scout, but not as well--still if you hit them, you have a great advantage in the engage.

And let's not forget Splash Walls. These are a tactician's dream, creating and impasse in a lot of narrow corridors, securing easy getaways and safe situations to kill people with. It gives major pushing power to weapons that otherwise have no right to push and it can save a team's life when used correctly because of the sheer amount of damage it can soak up. All this balanced with the large ink amount it consumes and you have a wonderful, balanced sub.

So... what about Ink Mines???

They aren't that stellar as far as I can tell. You have a limit to one which wouldn't be so bad if it had a huge blast radius and a different stimuli for explosion. But as it is, it's just about the same as the Suction Bomb.

Because it's set off by enemy ink and not enemy proximity, the enemy usually has some safe area to swim through when they go through the explosion, so it's usually not a deathtrap.

It can be used cleverly behind a corner, but the issue is that they rarely go off when they haven't been inked by enemy colors so much of the time it just doesn't proc.

The time it takes to lay a mine doesn't match the speed at which you could throw a bomb, so you can't use it to pressure enemies the same way because you'll likely be killed, set off your own mine, then watch it kill nothing.

I recognize there are uses for the sub in certain situations, namely for tower control, but as it is, it seems like the sub at least deserves a little bit of a buff. Thus far, the best thing it has going for it is the fact that it doesn't seem to use very much ink.

Increasing the number of mines that could be laid to three? That'd leave for more tactical minefields at least to keep the enemies on their toes. Changing the situation in which the ink mine procs from ink-triggered to enemy proximity alone? That way it could still be escaped from as long as there's a safe path back, but otherwise wouldn't explode. Maybe lowering the time it takes to lay a mine?

Thoughts? Opinions? Am I totally wrong here?

Boolerex

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Boolerex
I wouldn't say no for a increase of the maximum number of mine to 3 ; they still use a pretty high amount of ink and explode after a set time anyway.

Aweshucks

Kinda a loser
Event Organizer
NNID
Aweshucks
Forgive me for not reading through the OP, as I don't have a ton of time. Sorry if I am just repeating stuff from the OP.

I use the squiffer fairly often, so I've come to know mines pretty well. They aren't terrible, but a lot of subs are better than them. I think their main problem is that if someone is alert, they can see the animation and get away before the explosion, which kind of ruins the point of a mine. If I were to change anything, it would be to speed up the animation of the mine exploding.

Or increase the number of mines, as @Boolerex said. That would be pretty neat.

aceofscarabs

Inkling Fleet Admiral
How about a counterbalance of sorts? You can either place one mine that will stick around longer, or stick multiple mines that don't linger for long.

Elecmaw

Lord of the Squids
NNID
Switch Friend Code
SW-3466-8927-7969
The ink mine suffers mostly because it's included with weapons that don't really need it (Inkbrush Noveau, Aero RG). Most people i've seen don't place it out in the open or around corners but places that are tricky to escape from(ex. right after climbing a ledge or behind the chainlink fence in Underpass)

I'd change it to have it work like the sprinkler, have it stay active indefinetly untill a new one is placed OR the user gets splatted, causing the old mine to blow up automatically. It's stupid to not even be able to re-place a new mine and instead have to wait for it to go off on it's own. If they'd change that then i'd be more than happy to see it's uses.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
The ink mine suffers mostly because it's included with weapons that don't really need it (Inkbrush Noveau, Aero RG). Most people i've seen don't place it out in the open or around corners but places that are tricky to escape from(ex. right after climbing a ledge or behind the chainlink fence in Underpass)

I'd change it to have it work like the sprinkler, have it stay active indefinetly untill a new one is placed OR the user gets splatted, causing the old mine to blow up automatically. It's stupid to not even be able to re-place a new mine and instead have to wait for it to go off on it's own. If they'd change that then i'd be more than happy to see it's uses.
I'd say it would work if the old mine disappears when you place a new one (like the Sprinkler does). However, I'm not sure if I like the idea of having mines stay permanently until detonated/replaced >_>

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
The detonation/replace thing would be pretty interesting, or having the ink mine only go off when you replace it would balance it pretty well in my opinion. It would allow the player to control when to pressure the opponent or cut off an escape route--just a few really interesting options. It makes it a real trap, but only useful when the player is around. In short, that's an interesting change.

Ryuji

Inkling Commander
NNID
Ryuji777x
Nintendo should just allow Ink Mines to be thrown for more strategic placement, then also decrease the time it takes to explode so that they can't avoided as easily.

1o2

Inkling Cadet
Honestly I'd say just leave the mines as they are, but just make them immediately explode when touched by enemy ink, none of this animation nonsense. This way it forces people to carefully cover every bit of enemy ink before moving forward, as one step on enemy ink can be death with a mine.

Either that, or make the mine's impact as big as the Rainmaker's shield explosion. (sarcasm)

Sendou

Full Squid
NNID
Sendou
To be honest, I think the most it needs is a way to remotely detonate it, like the Sprinkler suggestion above.
Suggestions like this are more in line with the thinking of "something is underpowered so let's fix things by making it heavily overpowered!".

ReedRGale

Inkling Commander
Suggestions like this are more in line with the thinking of "something is underpowered so let's fix things by making it heavily overpowered!".
Why would you say this would be overpowered? If it had the animation time, the reaction time would still be the same. Further, the player would need to stay in proximity of the mine so as to know when to blow it up. It would have the same reaction time with a different kit of uses, so I don't really see why the change would be OP.

Lyre

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Muddybob
Make it so placing a second mine will trigger the first one rather than preventing the placement of a second. It'll give them the remote detonation ability needed to set them off unexpectedly.

Dish

Full Squid
NNID
Englannd
Nah they're fine the way they are. If you ever manage to main a weapon that uses mines then just learn to place them strategically

River09

Inkling Cadet
NNID
King_Felix
I say just cut down the animation they make before they explode and let them use less ink (it takes up 80%.) Remote detonation and planting multiple ones are cool and all but doesn't solve its problem.

Nah they're fine the way they are. If you ever manage to main a weapon that uses mines then just learn to place them strategically
I disagree, they give you plenty of time to get away from the explosion every time. No amount of placing them strategically will help with that.

LMG

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I disagree, they give you plenty of time to get away from the explosion every time. No amount of placing them strategically will help with that.
I've seen quite a few unsuspecting Rollers getting splatted because they rolled over one o_O

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom