• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Callie and Marie Amiibos are a joke.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
I'm gonna be honest, everyone kinda held over-the-top expectations of the amiibos. Playing nighttime stages and whatnot probably is too much data to fit onto it, and to be fair I like the concept of amiibo figures and their functionality with other games that use them (i.e. they may get support in robobot, which is really good. even if they don't i'm not really getting them for me so shrugs)

So I'm still getting the amiibos for my friend that i'm visiting in a few days or so. We don't think it's a joke and honestly I personally collect amiibos for the fact they're cute figurines too, and we still want them even if they're just an ingame version of the squid sisters soundtrack / songs. If you think about it, it's technically the regionwide release of their CD which may only come out officially in japan. I'm sure there's people that can get the HQ songs off of the amiibos too.

Last edited:

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
The fact that amiibo are "worthless", heavy quotes, in terms of functionality is the only reason they're doing well at all. Disney Infinity is getting the kibosh and Skylanders is moving away from extreme figurine focus, so people are clearly getting weary of physical DLC. And yet you people want them to do more, in THIS landscape? If they were actually required, sales would plummet, and there's evidence to support this fact, but everyone can get behind grabbing a figure of their favorite Nintendo character.

I mean, I have figures of Little Mac, Captain Falcon, and the Duck Hunt dog on my shelf. Before amiibo having the same would require paying out the nose for some Japanese model kit.

Some of you seem to feel way too strongly about this. At least amiibo are harmless at the end of the day, unlike, say, CSGO gambling and microtransactions. Amiibo are never going to ask you for more money or hassle you into buying them or anything.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
BOOOOOOOOOOOO
I think they're great for collectors (such as myself, whom primarily collects amiibo because they're cute figures).
They're also good for my robobot game, despite me beating it, since they give me a very useful ability and a small healing item.
But that could just be me. I like the recolors better color-wise to be fair, so I still hope to get them at some point.

Meta Knightmare

Full Squid
NNID
spacephage
I havent been able to obtain any amiibos yet so I may go for the recolours instead as I like them more, colour scheme wise, plus they will also give me some neat gear/weapons

⭐️Zapfish⭐️

Inkling Cadet
NNID
meggiemooshoo
I think they're great for collectors (such as myself, whom primarily collects amiibo because they're cute figures).
They're also good for my robobot game, despite me beating it, since they give me a very useful ability and a small healing item.
But that could just be me. I like the recolors better color-wise to be fair, so I still hope to get them at some point.
True, I'll get them anyway. Thank you :)

WeirdChillFever

Pro Squid
I don't think these Amiibos are a joke.

Nintendo didn't over-hype these amiibos in any way. They told us upfront what we getting. It was the community who was hyping up the amiibos. The negativity in this thread is a result of fandom expectations, and their selfish desire to have their idols be elevated to a "respectable" level.

In a way, this thread is just started because someone wanted to rant. Which I can't really can't argue against. You have every right to express your self. So don't come complaining to me when I start ranting.

In all honesty, to say the "Callie and Marie Amiibos are a joke" is the result of selfish consumer biased. As a creator Nintendo did nothing wrong, but the consumer, feeling betrayed by their expectations, feel like they are justified to attack. They are not. They are ignorant, biased, and have no idea what it's like to create.

So here we are. You declared an act of war, against the company called "Nintendo", expecting your fellow consumers to rally with you. "But all is fair in Love in War." Don't be surprise if you fellow consumers betrays you. Because some of us can recognize an unprovoked attack, and there's a select few of us who will cut down those who use this ignorant rallying cry.
Just because Nintendo said they would be **** doesn't mean it's okay that they're €/$15 ****
The OP is in no way an "Attack on Nintendo" and the fact you're taking it as a war declaration instead of someone's story about expectations vs reality (which he/she doesn't even blame Nintendo for) honestly surprises me.
There are a lot of rants and blind attacks on Nintendo but the OP isn't one of them.

Yup. Hipster debater is back. XD

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Just because Nintendo said they would be **** doesn't mean it's okay that they're €/$15 ****
The OP is in no way an "Attack on Nintendo" and the fact you're taking it as a war declaration instead of someone's story about expectations vs reality (which he/she doesn't even blame Nintendo for) honestly surprises me.
There are a lot of rants and blind attacks on Nintendo but the OP isn't one of them.

So an over-the-top response to an over-the-top response, then? Congratulations on your lack of self-awareness.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!

Amiibo are usually pretty pricy ($12.99 each without tax), and for individual figures in the US I believe they cost the same as any of the other amiibo so I don't really see how they're whatever that censored curse word you probably said is. They're just as good as any of the other amiibo. Of course, it was the OPs fault for having expectations beyond what was advertised in the trailer considering. To be honest I was expecting at least night-time maps, but I don't mind the idea of just having the songs and adorable figures.

And we're forgetting that figurines without any data on them can be hundreds of dollars if they're really good quality, so technically you're getting a soundtrack and a figurine for much cheaper.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
There is still a massive gap between worthless and making it direct phsyical DLC. They're offering less and less content for the very same price. I don't think I ever saw people complaining about the Super Mario Maker, TPHD, original Splatoon or YWW amiibos, and I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be many complaining about them doing a bit more either. They are a landmile away from "pay2win", far from actually useful or significant, yet have their in-game use. A few alternate costumes and mini games here and there. Nothing big, no new functions, no game-changers or anything similar, and we're good to go. But going far below even that and demanding the same price is just a scam. Not to blame Nintendo of course, because if they get away with selling products with hardly any effort put into them, why would they not?

WeirdChillFever

Pro Squid
So an over-the-top response to an over-the-top response, then? Congratulations on your lack of self-awareness.
Thanks!

I'm pretty nice normally but I have the habit to turn into some monster when debating haha.

Amiibo are usually pretty pricy ($12.99 each without tax), and for individual figures in the US I believe they cost the same as any of the other amiibo so I don't really see how they're whatever that censored curse word you probably said is. They're just as good as any of the other amiibo. Of course, it was the OPs fault for having expectations beyond what was advertised in the trailer considering. To be honest I was expecting at least night-time maps, but I don't mind the idea of just having the songs and adorable figures.

And we're forgetting that figurines without any data on them can be hundreds of dollars if they're really good quality, so technically you're getting a soundtrack and a figurine for much cheaper.
There's still a gap between the functionality of Wolf Link/Any Mario amiibo that triggers the Mini Mario game/Woolly Yoshi and the Squid Sissies though they're the same price.

boredguy108

Semi-Pro Squid

Hey, I acknowledged that right to express oneself. I praised the opening poster, telling them their intentions were okay. Everyone has a right to complain.

So, I simply complained about their complaint. If you don't like, well to bad. I've made up my mind. You're just going to have to deal with it. Cause that's how I roll.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Not to blame Nintendo of course, because if they get away with selling products with hardly any effort put into them, why would they not?
...You are completely ignorant of the effort that goes into making any given figurine, aren't you? These things don't just magically appear out of the ether. There's been plenty of small-time kickstarters to fund creating a line of a singular action figure because even just making ONE of these requires a whole lot of designing, molding, and processing.

Let's put aside any game functionality for the moment. Amiibo are made from high-quality plastics designed to be handled by children, who aren't exactly known for being gentle. A good chunk of the price comes from that alone. They could be made for less, sure, but then you'd get people complaining about the quality. There's more to these figures than just the games.

We get it. You don't like amiibo. And I'll say it again... hyperbole does NOT make you look good, and yet you keep spouting it with abandon.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
There's still a gap between the functionality of Wolf Link/Any Mario amiibo that triggers the Mini Mario game/Woolly Yoshi and the Squid Sissies though they're the same price.
Sure, but as someone who's just getting amiibo for aesthetic and enjoys the idea of the squid sisters amiibo because I genuinely like the music despite the fact it's just that in the end, I feel it's worth the price no matter what. Even my friend i'm getting them for agrees about that. Just admit you don't like the content because it doesn't meet your high standards and move on, or buy a $100+ replica figurine of them with no content at all on it.

WeirdChillFever

Pro Squid
Hey, I acknowledged that right to express oneself. I praised the opening poster, telling them their intentions were okay. Everyone has a right to complain.

So, I simply complained about their complaint. If you don't like, well to bad. I've made up my mind. You're just going to have to deal with it. Cause that's how I roll.
Kay roll some more bye :cool:

Just admit you don't like the content because it doesn't meet your high standards and move on
Never said I had low standards ;)

Anyway, I've said everything I've wanted to say on the topic and I don't wanna be known as the salty ranter hehe.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
...You are completely ignorant of the effort that goes into making any given figurine, aren't you? These things don't just magically appear out of the ether. There's been plenty of small-time kickstarters to fund creating a line of a singular action figure because even just making ONE of these requires a whole lot of designing, molding, and processing.

Let's put aside any game functionality for the moment. Amiibo are made from high-quality plastics designed to be handled by children, who aren't exactly known for being gentle. A good chunk of the price comes from that alone. They could be made for less, sure, but then you'd get people complaining about the quality. There's more to these figures than just the games.

We get it. You don't like amiibo. And I'll say it again... hyperbole does NOT make you look good, and yet you keep spouting it with abandon.
Effort that is definitely not worth 15 bucks per figure no matter how nicely one phrases that. Most of what one pays is for the brand, not for the quality. It's understandable for a collector to pay as good as any price, but other than that, there is no excusing offering less and less for the same price.

Also again, there is no hyperbole involved here from my side. I mean everything exactly as I say it, word for word, and I think I know that better. And I damn well have the right to criticize a scam. I have my view, it's a harsh one, and I won't sugarcoat it. If you believe this makes me "look bad", then I'm sorry, but in that case I don't see looking bad in your eyes for that to be anything I would worry about.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Effort that is definitely not worth 15 bucks per figure no matter how nicely one phrases that. Most of what one pays is for the brand, not for the quality. It's understandable for a collector to pay as good as any price, but other than that, there is no excusing offering less and less for the same price.

Also again, there is no hyperbole involved here from my side. I mean everything exactly as I say it, word for word, and I think I know that better. And I damn well have the right to criticize a scam. I have my view, it's a harsh one, and I won't sugarcoat it. If you believe this makes me "look bad", then I'm sorry, but in that case I don't see looking bad in your eyes for that to be anything I would worry about.
Let me guess, you like to say you "tell it like it is" too. You must be great fun at parties.

Have you looked at other games-as-toys lines? They all cost the same or MORE, and those are only compatible with ONE game or series. Bah. We could go on and on about the potential value, but you seem like you will never care about the physicality of the product, only what they can do. Do you think those other toy lines are scams too, or is your hatred solely reserved for Nintendo?

Your calling these scams is particularly intriguing. There's tons upon tons of cruddy practices in the game industry, and these silly figurines are what you call a scam? Fine, don't care what I think, but have a little perspective.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
Let me guess, you like to say you "tell it like it is" too. You must be great fun at parties.

Have you looked at other games-as-toys lines? They all cost the same or MORE, and those are only compatible with ONE game or series. Bah. We could go on and on about the potential value, but you seem like you will never care about the physicality of the product, only what they can do. Do you think those other toy lines are scams too, or is your hatred solely reserved for Nintendo?

Your calling these scams is particularly intriguing. There's tons upon tons of cruddy practices in the game industry, and these silly figurines are what you call a scam? Fine, don't care what I think, but have a little perspective.
Ok, let me get one thing straight first. This isn't Gamefaqs. Stop trying to make this personal.

With that hopefully out of the way, yes, there are many other companies doing the exact same thing. But just because we all lie, doesn't mean a lie isn't a lie, does it? It's a scam. There are much bigger scams, there are many companies doing the exact same thing, but none of that changes this. Not saying it is not understandable. Of course it is. That is a market. If you get away with it, it's the smartest and most rational thing to do. Doesn't mean it's not a scam and it doesn't mean it's wise from customers to go along with it or ignore that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom