• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Callie and Marie Amiibos are a joke.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
Kay. Well you've revealed yourself to be 100% unreasonable so I do believe I'll be putting you on ignore. Good day.

Amiibos are a scam, hah, I always wonder how people with these mindsets react to real problems...

boredguy108

Semi-Pro Squid
Effort that is definitely not worth 15 bucks per figure no matter how nicely one phrases that. Most of what one pays is for the brand, not for the quality. It's understandable for a collector to pay as good as any price, but other than that, there is no excusing offering less and less for the same price.

Also again, there is no hyperbole involved here from my side. I mean everything exactly as I say it, word for word, and I think I know that better. And I damn well have the right to criticize a scam. I have my view, it's a harsh one, and I won't sugarcoat it. If you believe this makes me "look bad", then I'm sorry, but in that case I don't see looking bad in your eyes for that to be anything I would worry about.
Goddam it. I hate Idealistic Paladins. While I can appreciate the desire to point out flawed business practices, the "holier than you" mentality is something I despise. I'm sorry, But I'm going to cut you down. And I'm not going to hold back.

So you say 15 dollars or whatever is worth spending on a toy or whatever. So let me ask you this question: What exactly can YOU do with 15 dollars?

Spend it on drugs? Gamble it away? Can you design a better product that doesn't "scam" consumers for the same price?

I'm sorry, but the way the real word works. Nothing is black and white. Ideals are good and all, but if you can't act or debate on them, then they mean absolutely nothing. At least, in my opinion.

Anaru

Inkling Cadet
NNID
lavalizard24
Ok, let me get one thing straight first. This isn't Gamefaqs. Stop trying to make this personal.

With that hopefully out of the way, yes, there are many other companies doing the exact same thing. But just because we all lie, doesn't mean a lie isn't a lie, does it? It's a scam. There are much bigger scams, there are many companies doing the exact same thing, but none of that changes this. Not saying it is not understandable. Of course it is. That is a market. If you get away with it, it's the smartest and most rational thing to do. Doesn't mean it's not a scam and it doesn't mean it's wise from customers to go along with it or ignore that.
It's not a scam at all. My dictionary says a scam is a "dishonest scheme", and I don't think amiibos are dishonest in any way. You could say it's not worth the price but that definitely doesn't make it a scam. It would only be a scam if, for example, amiibos didn't have any functionality with a game at all.

Dessgeega

Egyptian Goo God
Switch Friend Code
SW-3756-0533-5215
I think you guys are fighting a fruitless battle here :P

A lot of toys are and always have been 15 bucks, and some of them don't do anything either. Anyone else remember the Trash Bag Bunch from the 90s? I loved those things and they did absolutely nothing. Are they scams? Wait! Are YOU a scam!? AM I A SCAM!!?!?!?! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

boredguy108

Semi-Pro Squid
I think you guys are fighting a fruitless battle here :p

A lot of toys are and always have been 15 bucks, and some of them don't do anything either. Anyone else remember the Trash Bag Bunch from the 90s? I loved those things and they did absolutely nothing. Are they scams? Wait! Are YOU a scam!? AM I A SCAM!!?!?!?! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Maybe. Doesn't mean I don't want to take a stab at it. Like I said, I hate anyone who thinks "I know everything, and this is how stuff should be done."

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
Goddam it. I hate Idealistic Paladins. While I can appreciate the desire to point out flawed business practices, the "holier than you" mentality is something I despise. I'm sorry, But I'm going to cut you down. And I'm not going to hold back.

So you say 15 dollars or whatever is worth spending on a toy or whatever. So let me ask you this question: What exactly can YOU do with 15 dollars?

Spend it on drugs? Gamble it away? Can you design a better product that doesn't "scam" consumers for the same price?

I'm sorry, but the way the real word works. Nothing is black and white. Ideals are good and all, but if you can't act or debate on them, then they mean absolutely nothing. At least, in my opinion.
What is supposed to be the logic behind that? I can think of hundreds of ways to spend 15 bucks more efficiently. With regard to video games, I can buy an entirely new game, as for that matter. I don't know what you're even trying to achieve here. I'm not not buying the amiibo out of protest. I'm not buying it because it's of no value to me because I do not collect them. I've wasted money before too. I can criticize myself with regard to that too. I buy Samsung products although you pay a lot merely for the brand. Doesn't mean I cannot point that out, does it?

boredguy108

Semi-Pro Squid
You can point out flaws, sure. But I you don't have to demonize Nintendo or brand companies. Anyone who complains how someone runs a company should at least try to understand how it works. You can criticize the product for all I care. But unless you can do better, then don't demonize the creators.

Nintendo just wants to make fun games and toys for people to enjoy. If you don't like it, fine. Rant a bit, let it out. But if you're going to play the role of the victim, then you better have to have a strong case. Because I will judge you. And I will cut you down.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
It's not a scam at all. My dictionary says a scam is a "dishonest scheme", and I don't think amiibos are dishonest in any way. You could say it's not worth the price but that definitely doesn't make it a scam. It would only be a scam if, for example, amiibos didn't have any functionality with a game at all.
They decrease the quality of products but remain an unreasonable price knowing that people will actually buy them nonetheless. Practically speaking that is nothing but taking advantage of the market sitation, and again, any business that does not exploit its customers acts irrational. But the process of decreasing quality in itself is already a scam

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
You can point out flaws, sure. But I you don't have to demonize Nintendo or brand companies. Anyone who complains how someone runs a company should at least try to understand how it works. You can criticize the product for all I care. But unless you can do better, then don't demonize the creators.

Nintendo just wants to make fun games and toys for people to enjoy. If you don't like it, fine. Rant a bit, let it out. But if you're going to play the role of the victim, then you better have to have a strong case. Because I will judge you. And I will cut you down.
I'm sorry, have you followed any of what I was saying? "Demonize"? It's business, like I said. A company exploits customers. They get away with it, they do it. I study economics myself and I will possibly land in a marketing department at one point of my career. I'd do the exact same thing. I'd do everything I can get away with. As long as people eat off my hand, I put in as little work as possible.

And what victim role? What ranting? I didn't lose money because of this. I didn't lose a cent or a second of my time. Which conversation have you been following?

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
You're demonizing Nintendo. You're calling them con artists, saying that the're scamming the ignorant.

I'm done with this conversation. Laters.
"Con artists"? I'm sorry, do you know how a company works? Every user here makes me believe more and more that this is Gamefaqs. A company does what they get away with as long as the customers are exploitable. There are no moral standards behind marketing. Nintendo is not a person. No company is there to entertain you. It is a relationship between principle and agent. Offering products and buying products. Nothing else.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
@Ulk Can't you just admit you don't like amiibo and stop trying to convince fans that care about the products no matter what's offered to hate it? It's obvious we're not going to change your mind and you're not going to change ours, so really this is all just going back and forth with no real reward. I still personally do not see in any way why amiibos are a scam. Sure, they could have added more to the amiibos. I would have personally enjoyed squid sister gear, but i'm ok with just the soundtrack. I'm sure others are too, especially with the chance it may have more functionality in the sequel. You seem to really be one of the minority here that is calling it a huge scam just because your expectations were so high of a figurine with some data on it.

Just my two cents. I don't want to argue with you since it seems like everyone that tries to say something isn't getting anywhere on either sides.

boredguy108

Semi-Pro Squid
Hey, I already waved the white flag of surrender. Could you ease up on the personal attacks, please?

I know I'm young, that I have personal vendettas, and that I have lot of growing up to do. So, lighten up, will yah?

No need to merciless beat me to the ground.

I give. I mean, how could such an ignorant Nintendo Fanboy stand up to someone like you, right?

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
@Ulk Can't you just admit you don't like amiibo and stop trying to convince fans that care about the products no matter what's offered to hate it? It's obvious we're not going to change your mind and you're not going to change ours, so really this is all just going back and forth with no real reward. I still personally do not see in any way why amiibos are a scam. Sure, they could have added more to the amiibos. I would have personally enjoyed squid sister gear, but i'm ok with just the soundtrack. I'm sure others are too, especially with the chance it may have more functionality in the sequel. You seem to really be one of the minority here that is calling it a huge scam just because your expectations were so high of a figurine with some data on it.

Just my two cents. I don't want to argue with you since it seems like everyone that tries to say something isn't getting anywhere on either sides.
I'm not trying to change your or anyone else's mind. Yes, I don't like these amiibos because I have no use for them. So I don't buy them. I don't have a personal relationship with the amiibos. They are objects. Useful, I buy them. Useless, I don't. That is all there is to that story. I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion. All that has happened is that people got aggressive over me criticizing as what I see to be a clear scam. That's not any different than anyone saying they enjoy the amiibo. Views can be negative, and I'm not going to sugarcoat a negative view. I had no high expectations either. I pre-ordered, waited for the result, the result was terrible so I canceled my pre-prder. I haven't lost anything. I'm getting my money back and don't have a reason to personally despise that certain amiibo. But I damn well criticize it.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
Hey, I already waved the white flag of surrender. Could you ease up on the personal attacks, please?

I know I'm young, that I have personal vendettas, and that I have lot of growing up to do. So, lighten up, will yah?

No need to merciless beat me to the ground.

I give. I mean, how could such an ignorant Nintendo Fanboy stand up to someone like you, right?
???

boredguy108

Semi-Pro Squid
If you're confused, maybe you should ask someone else who tried to argue with you.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not really in the mood to talk to you right now. Sorry.

Ulk

Inkling Cadet
NNID
Die-Ulk-Nudel
I'm confused about what you're trying to achieve. You've been off-topic during this entire thing and none of the things you said made any sense, and by now you have completely derailed. I don't know if you're being a troll or anything, but I'm just gonna say I'm not up for that.

Aori

Don't get Cooked!
I'm not trying to change your or anyone else's mind. Yes, I don't like these amiibos because I have no use for them. So I don't buy them. I don't have a personal relationship with the amiibos. They are objects. Useful, I buy them. Useless, I don't. That is all there is to that story. I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion. All that has happened is that people got aggressive over me criticizing as what I see to be a clear scam. That's not any different than anyone saying they enjoy the amiibo. Views can be negative, and I'm not going to sugarcoat a negative view. I had no high expectations either. I pre-ordered, waited for the result, the result was terrible so I canceled my pre-prder. I haven't lost anything. I'm getting my money back and don't have a reason to personally despise that certain amiibo. But I damn well criticize it.
That's fair. You're allowed to have your own opinion and not like the Amiibo and nobody has a right to try and convince you to suddenly like them, but the fact remains that the reason people started to argue with you from the looks of it seems to be the fact that you are calling it a scam and most people can't seem to see why? Sure, it has less than the other splatoon amiibo, but it's still good for quite a lot of people on this forum. From my knowledge instantly dubbing something a scam in public when a lot of people enjoy it / think otherwise going to spark some talk.

As Dess said, it costs a lot to make figurines- most figurines (with no content on them) cost a ton more than most amiibo regardless of the quality. I rarely see any figurines that cost less than $20. Then again, for me amiibo are $12, so I don't really know where the "$15" thing came from either. I think that nintendo offering nice quality (in my opinion) figurines with little extras, regardless of what the extras are, is not a scam to me. Then again, i'm more of a collector, so I just get them mostly for the aesthetic. The usefulness in the game for me ends up being kinda secondary or a little bonus for me. This is just my opinion, however!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom