• Welcome to SquidBoards, the largest forum dedicated to Splatoon! Over 25,000 Splatoon fans from around the world have come to discuss this fantastic game with over 250,000 posts!

Start on your journey in the Splatoon community!

Callie-sama, why have you forsaken us?! - Callie's role in Splatoon 2

Inki Crow

Inkling
Sorry, but I can't get over it. I was full-on Team Callie, I believed in her and I was hoping for her to win in the final Splatfest. Also, she was so cheery and upbeat, something I kinda lack in life. Then Splatoon 2's announcement campaign happens, they show the trailer and I see Callie's silhouette in the background, making it look like she was the "bad guy" of the story.

At that moment, I felt shattered and dead inside. And then I said the line that's in the title.

I strongly believe that she's just being controlled by Octavio or something, at least getting manipulated against her will to do this, but we'll only know when the game comes out. If she did this by her own will, I'm might be posting serious angry forum posts.

What do you think of this? What do you think the outcome will be?

Inki Crow

Inkling
Maybe that could be it, but then again, it's a bit weird that she didn't research it first and get help from Marie to solve the mystery. I mean, she could've been brainwashed to do this.

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
I mean, she could've been brainwashed to do this.
To me, her being brainwashed is looking to be a very likely scenario at this point. As she didn't seem to show anything against Marie in the revealed stories. She was infact a bit worried. And she had just gone missing suddenly just recently after she had shown concern.

I'm actually beginning to wonder if those sunglasses they keep spamming are a part of the brainwashing. They have that strange odd glow in one eye...

Green Waffles

Inkling Fleet Admiral
I'm honestly thinking a double agent or just deep behind octarian lines.
Definately brainwashing

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Brain washing is way to easy i think. Sure hope its a real mind blower.

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
Its a game marketed for kids. Its not targeted towards teens.

I dunno maybe the first time around but due to the popularity and the whole 'e-sports' craze. It my beg to differ.

So brainwashing is a solid way to go for a kids game? You statement didn't really make much sense to me at least.

Ceresbane

Senior Squid
NNID
Jazzhand
I dunno maybe the first time around but due to the popularity and the whole 'e-sports' craze. It my beg to differ.

So brainwashing is a solid way to go for a kids game? You statement didn't really make much sense to me at least.
It might appeal to teens. But still marketed to kids (same way as pokemon). And the invitational is hardly esports.

And yeah, brainwashing has always been a common saturday morning kids cartoon trope (you can't have the good guys turning bad willingly). Its much more innocent than edgelord anti-hero changing sides and betraying the good guys, which is a common teen genre trope (usually shounen but slice of life dramas do it too).

Don't act like you know what's appropriate for kids writing.

Last edited:

calamaro

Inkling Fleet Admiral
It might appeal to teens. But still marketed to kids (same way as pokemon). And the invitational is hardly esports.

And yeah, brainwashing has always been a common saturday morning kids cartoon trope (you can't have the good guys turning bad willingly). Its much more innocent than edgelord anti-hero changing sides and betraying the good guys, which is a common teen genre trope (usually shounen but slice of life dramas do it too).

Don't act like you know what's appropriate for kids writing.
Never said anything about it being appropriate or not. Me having 2 kids I think I have a firm grasp of whats appropriate . I am assuming you meant I dont know... *shrugs*

Ceresbane

Senior Squid
NNID
Jazzhand
Never said anything about it being appropriate or not. Me having 2 kids I think I have a firm grasp of whats appropriate . I am assuming you meant I dont know... *shrugs*
distinct difference between kid raising and writing for kids.

You think brain washing in context is this. Because your tone clearly says that.

Meanwhile brainwashing could be as simple as this, by standards of saturday morning tv. Hypnosis being one of the common tropes, because it doesn't go into the detailed process of actual brain washing or indoctrination. And it just creates instant results since its stereotyped that kids don't care for these details anyway due to low attention span. Hence kids cartoons are always flashy, simple and rapid fire and light in tone.

So yeah... no... you don't get what's appropriate.

Last edited:

BooDestroyer

Full Squid
NNID
BooDestroyer
You know, halfway through the story, Marie could likely go missing and get brainwashed as well.

I don't think the Octarians would be satisfied with getting just one of the Squid Sisters.

Kimmorz

Inkster Jr.
NNID
Kimmorz
My first thought after seeing the artwork, with her silhouette, it does make it look like she might be a villain, in a way. It definitely doesn't fit her personality though, so some sort of brainwashing/mind control could be at play here, like others have said. Another thought could be, the Octarians made her realize how poor off they are doing and she thinks she's helping them get their footing, not realizing they are still out to get back at the Inklings. One of those "good guy helps bad guy who pretends to be reformed but is really planning something evil" situations. Just my thoughts, but who knows, maybe she's just been kidnapped.

BooDestroyer

Full Squid
NNID
BooDestroyer
I wonder what scanning her amiibo will do in this game?

"Where's Callie?"
*pop*
"Oh, there she is!"
(Credits roll)

Okay, it probably wouldn't be that easy.

ZEROrevive

Inkling Fleet Admiral
NNID
ZEROrevive
Switch Friend Code
SW-0412-8620-8627
I wonder what scanning her amiibo will do in this game?

"Where's Callie?"
*pop*
"Oh, there she is!"
(Credits roll)

Okay, it probably wouldn't be that easy.
Nah, a cardboard cutout of her with a music speaker taped behind it would pop up instead.

I'm kidding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom